XPEnology Community

General questions regarding Xpenology

thematic

Question

newbie here

i plan to build NAS server (store files, video transcoding, downloader) using Pentium G4400 + ASUS B150M-C D3 + 4GB RAM

1. is there any problem i should know beforehand? (one friend told me there's a large file transfer bug?)

2. can i use RS3617xs instead of DS3617xs image? my friend gave me his SN because he didn't use it for online (he uses it for storing important backup and paranoid to give it online access)

3. can XPEnology behave like real synology? eg. auto sleep HDD/shutdown unit if not used and wake up using WOL?

4. is XPEnology stable enough for long term use?

5. i need NAS OS with simple UI and expandable volume, is there any other alternatives?

Thank You!

2 answers to this question

newbie here
i plan to build NAS server (store files, video transcoding, downloader) using Pentium G4400 + ASUS B150M-C D3 + 4GB RAM
1. is there any problem i should know beforehand? (one friend told me there's a large file transfer bug?)
2. can i use RS3617xs instead of DS3617xs image? my friend gave me his SN because he didn't use it for online (he uses it for storing important backup and paranoid to give it online access)
3. can XPEnology behave like real synology? eg. auto sleep HDD/shutdown unit if not used and wake up using WOL?
4. is XPEnology stable enough for long term use?
5. i need NAS OS with simple UI and expandable volume, is there any other alternatives?

Thank You!

I'm interested on point 3 too.
On my 3617xs on esxi 6.5 it seems not sleeping

@thematic

1. No large file transfer bug I know of. 

2. No. DS3615xs, DS3617xs or DS 916+ only. Chose loader accordingly as they are custom made for those models.

3. Most functions do work. Some not due to hardware incompatibility. You will have to test to see.

4. Yes. Just don't keep updating DSM like many do and then complain some things are not working anymore. Once you have a stable setup, stick to it unless an important security update comes along. Always check the forum before applying any update. Always!

5. I don't know many other OS that are as intuitive and easy to use as DSM. Then of course it all depends on people's taste.

Last but not least, next time open a new thread when asking general questions like that. Do no hijack other topics. I have moved your post to this new topic.