XPEnology Community

Migrating DSM from Volume1 to Volume2 on SSD

Hi,

I have the glorious idea about adding an SSD to an already existing System. The Question now is, how can I achieve that the easiest way?

The plan is to Add an 128gb SSD and make it Volume1 which runs DSM with Docker, VMM and Download Station and all the crap that needs to be Online all the time.

Then integrate the already existing 4x6TB btrfs Raid5 as Volume2 which will allow all the drives to Spin down and sleep if not used.

This should be pretty easy as i simply add the SSD, install DSM image and restore all settings/backups.

The question now is, How do i add the Existing 4 drives as Volume 2 while keeping all the Data on it? I don't really care about the 2gb DSM Partition on each drive... as long as i does not bother the system.

Greetings,

Haldi

The only benefit of adding an SSD to DSM is to make it a cache drive. That's it. Adding an SSD as a standard drive for data storage or as being part of a volume is just a waste of money. DSM is installed on every single drive and there is nothing you can do about that. That's how you are able to recover data in case a drive crashes. So no, what you want to do is not straight forwardly possible. [edit]: unless of course you are willing to brake the mirror between drives. You need to know how to work with mdadm though.

A quick google search yielded the following:

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=53921

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33102

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/genericssdcache

Edited by Polanskiman
added [edit]

You may add your SSD as a single disk, and make it your Volume2.

Then use it for the things you want.

(BUT: as mentioned, it will have a Synology/DSM partition, just like every other disk in the system)

Would that work for you?

Or if you need it to be vol1, first do a clean install on the SSD, then "import" the rest of your drives as vol2.

Are those drives configured as a Raid group, with a single volume?

Edited by bearcat

2 hours ago, bearcat said:

You may add your SSD as a single disk, and make it your Volume2.

Then use it for the things you want.

(BUT: as mentioned, it will have a Synology/DSM partition, just like every other disk in the system)

Would that work for you?

Or if you need it to be vol1, first do a clean install on the SSD, then "import" the rest of your drives as vol2.

Are those drives configured as a Raid group, with a single volume?

Yes that is not a problem but there is no benefit of having an SSD instead of a regular HDD specially if later on you include additional HDDs to the volume where the SSD is.

In any case it's not totally impossible as I stated earlier. What the user wants can be done but he will need to know how to work with mdadm and how to break the mirror between Volume 1 (SSD) DSM system partitions and Volume 2 (HDD) DSM system partitions. The second link I provided above explains it but not in detail.

I'd love for my 4x6tb drives in RAID 5 to go into Sleep mode.
But as there is a Download Station with RSS Feed (and some other apps) they won't.
Using a ssd as Volume2 would work for that?
Does DSM support Sleep based per Volume and can I force all that stuff on Volume2?

Won't give any app performance to DSM but oh well :sad:

And jup, I read in the Second link about that.... But that might be too advanced for me. That's why I asked if anyone has successfully done it before, not just theoretical.
Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Some applications allow you to move/specify their installation location. You can point them to the SSD based volume2. There is no known way to specify sleep mode per drive or volume. The separate sleep timeout is available for external USB drive only.