XPEnology Community

I am still quite new to Xpenology and currently have my first setup running on Jun's loader v1.02with DSM version 6.1-15047. I would like to update my version of DSM as well as Jun's loader to the latest version (v1.02b), but before I start I would like to know what is the best way of doing an update? Do I just need to flash a USB stick with the new loader, or are there more steps? Will the data on my NAS survive the update? If it doesn't I have all the content on my NAS backed-up, and I'll backup the configuration before I start, but is there anything else I need to do to prepare?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by YukonKnights

1 - Turn off machine and remove usb with v1.02a loader. Keep that usb aside in case you need it later.

2 - Burn new loader v1.02b on usb. Make sure to edit the grub.cfg file like you did for v1.02a (vid/pid, SN, MAC etc)When done, plug the usb key on the machine

3 - Turn on the machine

4 - Use find.synology.com or Synology Assistant to find the machine on the network

5 - Migrate the machine by following the steps indicated on screen. You will be asked to provide the PAT file for 6.1.x so download it first. Download links can he found here: 

6 - Let it update. After a while you should be under DSM 6.1.x. You can then apply through the GUI critical updates up to the one that is working. See the critical update section to know which is the latest working one.

Edited by Polanskiman
Edited post to bring it in line with DSM's version and tutorial
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2017 at 3:59 PM, Polanskiman said:

1 - Turn off machine and remove usb with v1.02a loader. Keep that usb aside in case you need it later.

2 - Burn new loader v1.02b on usb. Make sure to edit the grub.cfg file like you did for v1.02a (vid/pid, SN, MAC etc)When done, plug the usb key on the machine

3 - Turn on the machine

4 - Use find.synology.com or Synology Assistant to find the machine on the network

5 - Migrate the machine by following the steps indicated on screen. You will be asked to provide the PAT file for 6.1.3 so download it first. See my signature for download links.

6 - Let it update. After a while you should be under DSM 6.1.3. You can then apply through the GUI critical updates 1, 2 and 3 if desired.

Brilliant! Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...

I found this thread because I am also interested in upgrading to DSM 6.1 and am already at DSM 6.0.2.  I was comparing the grub.cfg files between v1.02a and 1.02b, and unless I am missing something, there is a critical omission in the v1.02b image and grub.cfg.  v1.02a contains three directories on partition 0; EFI, grub, and image.  v1.02b contains only EFI and grub on partition 0.  Also the grub.cfg on v1.02b is missing the references to any boot image.  As a result, booting off that image results in the bootloader screen constantly cycling since there is nothing to boot into.  Is there a more complete version of the v1.02b image?  If not, are there instructions for adding the appropriate image to the img file?  Thank you.

On 18.10.2017 at 10:15 PM, MDGuy said:

I found this thread because I am also interested in upgrading to DSM 6.1 and am already at DSM 6.0.2.  I was comparing the grub.cfg files between v1.02a and 1.02b, and unless I am missing something, there is a critical omission in the v1.02b image and grub.cfg.  v1.02a contains three directories on partition 0; EFI, grub, and image.  v1.02b contains only EFI and grub on partition 0.  Also the grub.cfg on v1.02b is missing the references to any boot image.  As a result, booting off that image results in the bootloader screen constantly cycling since there is nothing to boot into.  Is there a more complete version of the v1.02b image?  If not, are there instructions for adding the appropriate image to the img file?  Thank you.

I experienced quite the similar struggle. In my case, I tried the Update from DSM 6.0.2 to 6.1.3 on HP Proliant Gen8 baremetal. But I couldn't bott from the image. The solution was to use the MBR loader version, because the HP seems not to support UEFI. Because the Size is quite the same as before, I assume the image file you are missing is now in somwhere else in the loader. I hope this helps, gibe the MBR loader a try.

54 minutes ago, The_Turtle said:

I experienced quite the similar struggle. In my case, I tried the Update from DSM 6.0.2 to 6.1.3 on HP Proliant Gen8 baremetal. But I couldn't bott from the image. The solution was to use the MBR loader version, because the HP seems not to support UEFI. Because the Size is quite the same as before, I assume the image file you are missing is now in somwhere else in the loader. I hope this helps, gibe the MBR loader a try.

I was using the MBR version.  The problem was twofold.  One, the image file/directory was missing.  Two, the entries in grub.cfg that point to the image location on the boot menu were blank.

On 25/8/2017 at 11:59 AM, Polanskiman said:

3 - Turn on the machine

5 - Migrate the machine by following the steps indicated on screen. You will be asked to provide the PAT file for 6.1.3 so download it first. See my signature for download links.

6 - Let it update. After a while you should be under DSM 6.1.3. You can then apply through the GUI critical updates 1, 2 and 3 if desired.

Hey @Polanskiman, thanks for all your help on tutorials etc in this forum.

I have a N54L microserver and I had DSM 6.0.2 installed bare-metal and running with no problems. Today I tried upgrading to 6.1.3 using the procedure you provided, burning a new USB with the edited grub.cfg file, disabling C1E in bios etc. Did everything "by the book", and I was happy to see that the machine booted and I migrated the machine with the correct .pat file. DSM loaded with no problems and data was there so everything was OK.

Unfortunately when I tried to update DSM, either automatically to update 8 or manually using the pat files of the updates (tried update files 1, 3, 4)  the machine would not recover from the required reboot. In fact even if I did not try to update and just asked the machine to reboot, it would just load the kernel and just stay there, not loading DSM. Synology assistant would not detect it nor I could find it on my network. If i chose the second option on grub (reinstall, the system would again ask to migrate, install DSM PAT file etc...

Anyone else faced this?

How to overcome this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Tepes4

Edited by Tepes4

Just now, Dfds said:

@Tepes4 Have you tried creating a fresh USB to rule out any corruption of the loader?

Thanks for your answer mate, yes I have tried that just to rule this out but the result was the same. The loader seems to be doing its job (after the loading kernel we have no feedback of course to see what is going on), but I think it must be something that has to do when the network interface is turning on that is either timing out and the DSM loading is not happening.

After getting worried I tried to downgrade to 6.0.2 using the previous USB stick but it would go on to recovery again and again...

Tepes4

I do have a spare hdd and will look at this option, but I was wondering if I should choose the fresh install and keep only my data and no settings and not migration with my current HDDs. Browsing on this forum I saw someone else that had the same problem and he solved it with a fresh install.

Στάλθηκε από το HTC 10 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, Tepes4 said:

I do have a spare hdd and will look at this option, but I was wondering if I should choose the fresh install and keep only my data and no settings and not migration with my current HDDs. Browsing on this forum I saw someone else that had the same problem and he solved it with a fresh install.

Στάλθηκε από το HTC 10 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

You could give that a try yes.

Just tried the fresh install option instead of migrate with my normal HDDs and now everything seems in order. No data loss. Of course settings,users etc is gone and have to start it all over again. Rebooted many times updating DSM up to update #8 and DSM starts normally every time. A big thank you to Jun for the work he has done and also to all you good people of this forum.

Tepes4

6 hours ago, Tepes4 said:

Just tried the fresh install option instead of migrate with my normal HDDs and now everything seems in order. No data loss. Of course settings,users etc is gone and have to start it all over again. Rebooted many times updating DSM up to update #8 and DSM starts normally every time. A big thank you to Jun for the work he has done and also to all you good people of this forum.

Tepes4

Glad you're up & running.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:28 PM, MDGuy said:

I was using the MBR version.  The problem was twofold.  One, the image file/directory was missing.  Two, the entries in grub.cfg that point to the image location on the boot menu were blank.

Can no one address this?  Am I missing something?  Do I have a bad copy of the bootloader?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

There are two partitions with this loader, the image directory is in the 30mb one, if you open the image in osfmount and load both partitions you will see it.

Thanks for the clarification.  My next question is why are the "set img=" lines in the "menuentry" sections of the grub.cfg file blank in the 1.02b version of the image?  Therefore, how does grub.cfg know where the boot image is in order to load it?  Every time I have tried, I keep getting confronted by the boot menu.

6 hours ago, MDGuy said:

Thanks for the clarification.  My next question is why are the "set img=" lines in the "menuentry" sections of the grub.cfg file blank in the 1.02b version of the image?  Therefore, how does grub.cfg know where the boot image is in order to load it?  Every time I have tried, I keep getting confronted by the boot menu.

Thats not my skill area but I'm guessing that the various grub entry variables and arguments tell the loader where to look on the usb for the various ramdisks and images. I was messing with creating images recently and ended up with two partitions to boot from on the usb and choosing 1) it still found the rest of the images on 2).  If your loader is looping around the menu, I'd think the grub file is corrupted somehow so try a fresh copy with just pid/vid edited.