Balrog

Enabling serial port in ESXi for a VM

A little help for everyone who struggles a little bit with enabling the serial console in ESXi. This manual works 1:1:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vmx15.1f4/topics/task/configuration/vmx-vm-connecting-vmware.html

in short:

# at ESXi:
open Firewall for serial Console

# at VM:
add Serial Port 1
- Use Network
- Connect at Power
- Direction: Server
- Port URI: telnet://:8601

In PuTTY the connection will be made as:

Type: Telnet

Hostname: IP-of-your-ESXi-Host

Port: The-port-you-entered-in-the-config-of-the-VM (e.g. 8601)

With this you have at every time contact to the Xpenology-VM-Console even a driver wont be load with a upgrade (like in Loader 1.02a). :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know this was required before, but what's the benefit of adding the serial port?

Just debugging information and being able to do low-level stuff if SSH is down/disabled?

As I wrote: You are able with this to access a direct console at every time. Like an insurance if things go bad. Even without loaded nic-drivers in the VM or disabled SSH.
In the past this was the access via iLO for me as DSM was installed bare-metal on a HP Microserver Gen8.

As I wrote: You are able with this to access a direct console at every time. Like an insurance if things go bad. Even without loaded nic-drivers in the VM or disabled SSH.
In the past this was the access via iLO for me as DSM was installed bare-metal on a HP Microserver Gen8.
Is this still possible on esxi 6.5 free edition for you?
For me a license issue is shown in the vmware.log of the virtual machine :(

Is there maybe another way?

Gesendet von meinem ONE A2003 mit Tapatalk

It is possible that the serial port function is only available with a licensed esxi-host but I am not sure about this.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk