XPEnology Community

Installing Synology on ESXi or using Virtual Machine Manager?

Is that mobo new? I had mine for two years and it just died because of the faulty Intel chip fiasco. I am currently putting in for a claim with Asrock, looks like they'll replace it.

For your question. I run mine on Bare Metal and it works fine for me...

14 hours ago, Bhakta said:

Is that mobo new? I had mine for two years and it just died because of the faulty Intel chip fiasco. I am currently putting in for a claim with Asrock, looks like they'll replace it.

For your question. I run mine on Bare Metal and it works fine for me...

Is it free shipping both ways?

I got it mid 2016, didn't use it till now.

I'm in the same boat.  Right now, I like the idea of running the Synology on baremetal and use VMM for the VMs.  I only have 8GB or RAM to play with, so actually running ESXi, a Windows VM and a Synology VM don't leave me much room to do anything else.  Though, running Synology baremetal with a 4GB Windows VM doesn't allow another VM with only 2GB of RAM to boot up because of not enough RAM available to Synology I suppose.

With ESX, you do get the ability to take snapshots of your Synology disk before running an upgrade though.   So, there has to be some merit to that.

Is it free shipping both ways?

I got it mid 2016, didn't use it till now.

I haven't got that far. If I pay one way, so be it. We'll see over the next few days.

I'd be researching the board if I was to - to see if you're susceptible to this issue. The boards become bricked after ~18months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2017 at 2:31 PM, Bhakta said:

I haven't got that far. If I pay one way, so be it. We'll see over the next few days.

I'd be researching the board if I was to - to see if you're susceptible to this issue. The boards become bricked after ~18months.

No, I paid one way. They paid the other....

It came back today.... They sent a brand new board, with the upgraded BMC and BIOS... I'm happy to say the least.