XPEnology Community

Convert/migrate DS3615xs to DS916+ or DS3617xs

Hello guys!

I managed to upgrade my DSM 5.2 5592 install to 6.1.3 (with all the steps in between ofcource). The system is much slower now than it was on 5.2. So I decided to build a new barebone from scratch. the Celeron 1.6Ghz powered Vostro did 6 years of 24/7 online service and because of that it was time for it's retirement. Specs for the new system can be found here / below if you're interested.

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 12.22.05 PM.jpg

The thing is. I currently use the DS3615xs image but this one thinks it's a dual core i3. If I want to use the full potential of my i5 7400 I need to make it use 4 cores. That rises the question: Can I migrate my DS3615xs to a DS3617xs or DS916+ to use all the cores? 

Edited by Polanskiman
Added picture of link in case link goes bad

hw transcoding in video station is not possible because synology does not use intel qsv

you have to uncheck it so video station can use cpu for video transcoding

maybe you can use plex or other sw for intel qsv hw video transcoding, but i don't know if its working

btw - nice new system ;-) 

that's a big jump in horse power and power bill.

hardware transcoding may not be possible other than the issue above you also do need a valid key so i hear.

i have a DS916+ and xpeno DS3615x and they are both the same specs and run pretty much same. DS916+ is a tad faster

Thanks!

No plex for me I guess :P. Don't want to go to anything else, Synology is the system. I've set up so much stuff in DSM that I don't even know how to replicate the current state if I f**k up this DSM installation xD.

Powerbill would be lower than with the previous system. That system had a Celeron 1.6ghz with a power supply that created lots of heat. My Smart UPS now shows only 10% load. actually running 2 physical servers on that UPS, both with very recent hardware. With the old NAS it consumed 30% on it's own. The 2 physical systems together are consuming 10% so it's a big improvement :).

On 28/08/2017 at 6:14 PM, pwvandeursen said:

I understood the ds916+ does do hw transcoding with Plex. The 3615 does not. In have the latter with a ASRock q1900 and no hw transcoding for me unfortunately. Thinking of going to the asrock n3150dc-itx with the ds916+. The ASRock supports Intel quick sync video so it should work!

It does work, I have N3150-ITX and DS916+ installed and regardless what I play I've get nearly 0% extra CPU utilisation :grin:

Is hw transcoding with plex only available in Jun's DS916+ image?

I'm on DS3615 with pretty good hw components and would really like to take advantage of this feature, how can I check if HW transcoding works?

Read this first: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-6xx-loader/?do=findComment&comment=67297

If your CPU complies, then simply use the DS916+ loader image and test it on a clean hard drive.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Read this first: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-6xx-loader/?do=findComment&comment=67297

If you CPU complies, then simply use the DS916+ loader image on test it on a clean hard drive.

My CPU (I7-6700T - skylake) should comply. But is it correct that hw transcoding will only work if having a valid synology S/N? 

• 1 month later...