Hi, I've been troubleshooting for a while now and i've come to a dead end.

I have had 6.1.7 running on an f2-220 for a good few years now, and figured i'd make the effort to update it to 6.2.x or whatever is newest and compatible.

I was running a 1.02b loader i think.

I have done a clean install following the processes described by both delavegagr and rcached

using the 1.03b bios and the appropriate extra.lzma and the files from the .pat using the vid+pid+nic from my previous working config as well as both a fresh and reused serial

i have reconfigured the bios to boot in legacy mode, as well as setting the boot os to "windows 7"

From the screen it appears to be booting into the loader just fine, yet despite my best efforts i still cant detect my server on the network either through synology assistant, the web page, or arp -a and its ip.

If there is something completely obvious I have overlooked pointing it out would be appreciated,

thanks and regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and welcome!

My apologies for not responding sooner.  I thought I had added a "follow" to this topic, but it seems I did not!  

Since you did not quote one of my posts directly, I received no alert this time.  I did make sure "follow" is marked on this thread now, so that should prevent his from happening again.  Sorry about that!

On 11/17/2020 at 9:06 AM, autumnhasfall3n said:

From the screen it appears to be booting into the loader just fine

This is good.  I assume you are confirming this via the VGA cable?

On 11/17/2020 at 9:06 AM, autumnhasfall3n said:

yet despite my best efforts i still cant detect my server on the network either through synology assistant, the web page, or arp -a and its ip.

arp is one of those really fickle kinda tools!  It's essentially a cache of IPs and MACs you've previously resolved to.  The only way addresses and MACs get added to the cache is if the TCP/IP stack gets engaged to a specific IP by the present machine in some way.  Meaning, if the newly updated 220 gets assigned a new and totally different IP by DHCP from whatever networking device you're connecting to, it may not show up in arp!  At least, that's been my experience.

So, a couple of suggestions:

1. Double check you entered the correct MAC address in your GRUB file.
  2. If you're using a previously assigned IP address for the old install and you think the new install is using the same IP, make sure you add the port number when you're connecting via the browser; example: http//:youripaddresshere:5000
  3. If you have some sort of connected client status page on your router control panel, check there for any active possible IP addresses by process of elimination of known clients
  4. Try using an IP/port scanner instead of arp.  Use same process of elimination as mentioned above.
  5. There have been some reports on this forum and others that sometimes a router or network device reboot is required to be able to connect to a new Xpenology install for the first time.  YMMV, but that's a simple thing to try at least.
  6. Instead of using DHCP, assign a static IP for the MAC address of the 220 at your router/networking device level.  This is how I personally avoid situations like this!

Good luck! 

Let us know if that doesn't solve your issue.  Maybe brains better or more experienced than mine can offer additional help!

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, nygage said:

Hi! I've just arrived and i'm a bit lost, I dont have the posibility to use VGA is there any possibility to install it?

Thanks

Yes, you can purchase it here, it's cheat and easy to install

Edited by delavegagr
29 minutes ago, delavegagr said:

Yes, you can purchase it here, it's cheat and easy to install

Thanks! Sorry i've misspelling, is there any possibility to install dms without the VGA? I don't have VGA monitor

1 hour ago, nygage said:

Thanks! Sorry i've misspelling, is there any possibility to install dms without the VGA? I don't have VGA monitor

Greetings and welcome!

A few people earlier in the thread posted success without using the 12P to 15P cable, but as delavegagr mentions, it could be that your or their BIOS settings had already been changed.

On 12/1/2018 at 10:19 PM, harshakavuri said:

Can confirm 1.04b loader works on F4-220 without the video cable and setting the bios. Went from 1.02b 3615xs to 1.04b d981+ and there is no need for video cable atleast in my case.

On 8/19/2018 at 12:34 AM, houmic48 said:

Not sure what you guys are talking about. I just did the 6.2 on my f4-220 without any vga cable without any issues. Just went through the normal steps and I had no problems. I did a fresh install from the stock TOS. 

But it's YMMV.  If you're not having success it's difficult to diagnose the issue without the 12P to 15P cable.  Unfortunately the TerraMaster NAS devices can have issues booting directly to USB out of the box.

Just as an FYI, you can use a VGA to HDMI converter with the 12P to 15P ribbon cable.  I already owned one in my "bag of tricks".

The kind I have is USB powered.  

Here are two choices:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254699617684

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284155612563

The first one will need either an HDMI coupler or an HDMI cable with a female end, which may be problematic.  The second one can just use a regular HDMI cable.

Other converters may work, too.  I just can't vouch for anything other than the style(s) above.

Good luck!

Edited by rcached
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 9:12 AM, delavegagr said:

Hello i want to post my successful CLEAN installation of DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 6 on the F2-220.

The things i have used:
-Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3615xs (LINK)
-Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs (LINK)
-Bios settings set to "Legacy"
-VGA cable to select USB Stick from Boot options

Steps:
-First edit the GRUB file with VID,PID,MAC etc
-Second, mount the second partition and replace the extra.lzma file from Driver extension mod
-Third, extract the zImage and the rd.gz from the DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat file and place them on the second partition again

Screenshot_2020-07-06 Diskstation - Synology DiskStation.png

Edit:

I have tested the DSM 6.2.3-25426 Version and booted up nicely

I have followed the same steps but i have used the following:
-Same loader
-Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 (LINK)
-The zImage and the rd.gz from the DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat file

Screenshot_2020-07-06 DiskStation - Synology DiskStation(2).png

it worked for my Terramaster F2-220, as well.

Thank you very much for providing the details.

My upgrade path:

1. I "migrated" from 6.2.1 to 6.2.2 (DS918+). After the upgrade, I was not able to boot any more, although the update was completed successfully according to the sun-log-files.
  2. I flashed usb stick with 1.03b boot loader as suggested in your description. Changed extra.lzm and zImage and rd.gz from the synology pat-file.
  3. When using RUFUS, i checked the option "show as usb hdd".
  4. I selected the reinstall option in grub, then clean install of 6.2.2 (DS3615xs). Completing the upgrade.
  5. Then, again having flashed the usb stick with the 6.2.3 files, did a clean install of 6.2.3 (DS3615xs). Completing the upgrade. 

Success

What really killed my nerves, was the problem that at first, I did not get to the GRUB loading screen.

On my screen, I did not get past GRUB - no interrupt possible, the boot process freezed.

To fix this, check the option in RUFUS "show as usb hdd" and change boot device priority in the BIOS to boot from the flash drive.

By default, the HDD-disks are selected as priority one.

Thank you all for your great work here.

• Like 1