Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, tdse13 said:

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the program does not work. ./fancontrol -h shows the options, ./fancontrol starts but nothing happens. Only ctrl. -x returns to the prompt. Any idea what is wrong on my side? Thank you.

 

 

Try turning the debug flag on.  You should see some output after a few seconds..  For example:

fancontrol 1 37 255

 

Also, with the above command, you should hear the fan start up at high RPM when you run the command.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. I get the following output:

maxtemp = 46, error = -209.000000, pout = -209.000000, iout = 0.000000, dout = -0.000000, pwmtemp = 80.000000, pwm = 80

maxtemp = 46, error = -209.000000, pout = -209.000000, iout = 0.000000, dout = 0.000000, pwmtemp = 80.000000, pwm = 80

maxtemp = 46, error = -209.000000, pout = -209.000000, iout = 0.000000, dout = 0.000000, pwmtemp = 80.000000, pwm = 80

maxtemp = 47, error = -208.000000, pout = -208.000000, iout = 0.000000, dout = 0.000000, pwmtemp = 80.000000, pwm = 80

 

And I cannot hear any difference in the speed of the fan.The temperature reading corresponds to second hard drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, tdse13 said:

Thank you. I get the following output:

maxtemp = 46, error = -209.000000, pout = -209.000000, iout = 0.000000, dout = -0.000000, pwmtemp = 80.000000, pwm = 80

maxtemp = 46, error = -209.000000, pout = -209.000000, iout = 0.000000, dout = 0.000000, pwmtemp = 80.000000, pwm = 80

maxtemp = 46, error = -209.000000, pout = -209.000000, iout = 0.000000, dout = 0.000000, pwmtemp = 80.000000, pwm = 80

maxtemp = 47, error = -208.000000, pout = -208.000000, iout = 0.000000, dout = 0.000000, pwmtemp = 80.000000, pwm = 80

 

And I cannot hear any difference in the speed of the fan.The temperature reading corresponds to second hard drive.

The binary may be working for you...   Here is what my output looks like.  I know it's working for me because I can hear the fan changing speeds.

 

./fancontrol 1 1 37 255
maxtemp = 39, error = -216.000000, pout = -216.000000, iout = 0.000000, dout = -0.000000, pwmtemp = 80.000000, pwm = 80
maxtemp = 38, error = -217.000000, pout = -217.000000, iout = 0.000000, dout = -0.000000, pwmtemp = 80.000000, pwm = 80
maxtemp = 37, error = -218.000000, pout = -218.000000, iout = 0.000000, dout = -0.000000, pwmtemp = 80.000000, pwm = 80

 

Few questions:

1) How did you compile the binary? 

2) Are you running it as root?  Make sure you are.

3) Check your parameters. <test_temp> determines if you're monitoring the CPU or DISKs. 

<debug> <test_temp> <pwminit> <setpoint> <interval> <overheat> <pwmmin> <kp> <ki> <imax> <kd>

 

If you want to monitor disks, try this and listen to the fan:

./fancontrol 1 0 30 255

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither ./fancontrol 1 1 37 255 nor ./fancontrol 1 0 30 255 produce any output at all.

 

1) How did you compile the binary?  I did not compile it at all but used the file "fancontrol"

2) Are you running it as root?  Make sure you are. Yes, as root

3) Check your parameters. <test_temp> determines if you're monitoring the CPU or DISKs. 

<debug> <test_temp> <pwminit> <setpoint> <interval> <overheat> <pwmmin> <kp> <ki> <imax> <kd>

 

In my version I do not see the option <test_temp>

 

Usage:

 

 fancontrol

 fancontrol <debug> <setpoint> <pwminit> <interval> <overheat> <pwmmin> <kp> <ki> <imax> <kd>

 

Arguments must be specified in order. Arguments that are not 

specified will take their default value.

 

debug     Enable (1) or disable (0) debug logs (default: 0)

setpoint  Target maximum hard drive operating temperature in

          degrees Celsius (default: 37)

pwminit   Initial PWM value to write (default: 128)

interval  How often we poll for temperatures in seconds (default: 10)

overheat  Overheat temperature threshold in degrees Celsius above 

          which we drive the fans at maximum speed (default: 50)

pwmmin    Never drive the fans below this PWM value (default: 80)

kp        Proportional coefficient (default: 1.0)

ki        Integral coefficient (default: 0.0)

imax      Maximum integral value (default: 10.0)

kd        Derivative coefficient (default: 0.0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tdse13 said:

Neither ./fancontrol 1 1 37 255 nor ./fancontrol 1 0 30 255 produce any output at all.

 

1) How did you compile the binary?  I did not compile it at all but used the file "fancontrol"

2) Are you running it as root?  Make sure you are. Yes, as root

3) Check your parameters. <test_temp> determines if you're monitoring the CPU or DISKs. 

<debug> <test_temp> <pwminit> <setpoint> <interval> <overheat> <pwmmin> <kp> <ki> <imax> <kd>

 

In my version I do not see the option <test_temp>

 

Usage:

 

 fancontrol

 fancontrol <debug> <setpoint> <pwminit> <interval> <overheat> <pwmmin> <kp> <ki> <imax> <kd>

 

Arguments must be specified in order. Arguments that are not 

specified will take their default value.

 

debug     Enable (1) or disable (0) debug logs (default: 0)

setpoint  Target maximum hard drive operating temperature in

          degrees Celsius (default: 37)

pwminit   Initial PWM value to write (default: 128)

interval  How often we poll for temperatures in seconds (default: 10)

overheat  Overheat temperature threshold in degrees Celsius above 

          which we drive the fans at maximum speed (default: 50)

pwmmin    Never drive the fans below this PWM value (default: 80)

kp        Proportional coefficient (default: 1.0)

ki        Integral coefficient (default: 0.0)

imax      Maximum integral value (default: 10.0)

kd        Derivative coefficient (default: 0.0)

 

 

Look at Compuman's posts 65 and 66 in this thread.  He created another version of fan control with an additional <test_temp> parameter.   Give that version a try.  If it's still not working then I suggest you build  your own binary using a Docker image with G++. 

 

Edited by kociubin
spelling issue
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your support. Unfortunately, Compuman's versions in posts 65 and 66 do not work for me: -ash: ./fancontrol: No such file or directory

 

I have never compiled anything myself. Could you please give me a hint or a link for a guide. Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tdse13 said:

Thank you for your support. Unfortunately, Compuman's versions in posts 65 and 66 do not work for me: -ash: ./fancontrol: No such file or directory

 

I have never compiled anything myself. Could you please give me a hint or a link for a guide. Thank you.

 

You can try the one I compiled for DS918+, Loader:  1.04b,  DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6.  See attached.

 

If it doesn't work, your best bet is to research how to use docker with Synology.  Then you would download a docker image with g++ and use that to compile the source code.  There are some hints in this thread of how to compile it but learning docker is a pretty big topic.  You'll need to research that on your own.

 

fancontrol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. Your program is working but I cannot experience any decrease in temperature. My setup is for 3615xs with the v1.02b loader.

 

Docker is not a problem. It is running on my Terramaster F2-220 without problems. However, I do not have any idea about compiling. I am able to install the gcc container but I would need some instruction on how to build the program.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tdse13 said:

Thank you. Your program is working but I cannot experience any decrease in temperature. My setup is for 3615xs with the v1.02b loader.

 

Docker is not a problem. It is running on my Terramaster F2-220 without problems. However, I do not have any idea about compiling. I am able to install the gcc container but I would need some instruction on how to build the program.

 

What do you mean by "program is working?"   Can you hear the fan speed changing?  If that's the case then you will probably need to experiment more with the parameters.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, richv31 said:

I have 918+ 6.2.2 update 4 running smoothly on this NAS. I used the fancontrol binary from kociubin's post above, setup as a boot task and it's all performing as expected. Thx

Can you confirm which version you successfully upgraded to?  Was it 6.2.2-24922-4 ?  Any issues booting or issues with ethernet?

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2019 at 12:45 PM, richv31 said:

yeah, I have 6.2.2-24922-4, clean install, /dev/dri present

 

For the benefit of others who might try upgrading to 6.2.2-24922-4.... DON'T.    It bricked my system and I spent 5 hours recovering.  The raid is still repairing.   I went back to 6.2.1-23824

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kociubin said:

For the benefit of others who might try upgrading to 6.2.2-24922-4.... DON'T.

what was not working?

918+?

there are differences in the kernel of 6.2.2 that make most of the additional drivers useless

when updating to 6.2.2 it needs a new extra.lzma with new drivers (or hardware that is supported by dsm by default)

for 3615/17 it was released mid december, for 918+ is a new version nearly ready, not perfect but better then the one already available, intel and realtek nic drivers in  recent version

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

what was not working?

918+?

there are differences in the kernel of 6.2.2 that make most of the additional drivers useless

when updating to 6.2.2 it needs a new extra.lzma with new drivers (or hardware that is supported by dsm by default)

for 3615/17 it was released mid december, for 918+ is a new version nearly ready, not perfect but better then the one already available, intel and realtek nic drivers in  recent version

 

With 6.2.2 my NAS would attempt to startup and then promptly stop working with a black screen.  I could not connect to the web GUI nor ping it.  I don't know if the whole system was crashing or if it was only the ethernet that would stop working.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, kociubin said:

.  I don't know if the whole system was crashing or if it was only the ethernet that would stop working.

 

most likely only the nic

ahci is working for sure

assuming 6.2/6.2.1

you can try risk free by using a fresh usb with 1.03/b1.04b (when just booting without intent to install even vid/pid not needed)  copy new kernel (zImage and rd.gz) from 6.2.2 pat file to 2nd partition of usb and adding a 6.2.2 aware extra.lzma (3615/17 official test available in thread, 918+ for testing from me if you want)

when booting from usb with a newer kernel dsm (from disk)  will not be loaded, it will stop in the state it would be on a fresh install, you could search in network and when succesfull you would see that the system is migrateable, if nic or storage does not work you will not find it in network or it will not show migrate (instead it will show no disks)

if the test looks good you can copy the same files to you real usb and boot again, then migrate with 6.2.2 pat file (web gui or nynology assistant), that way you should know of a problem before installing 6.2.2 (and having to downgrade in case of problems)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kociubin said:

 

With 6.2.2 my NAS would attempt to startup and then promptly stop working with a black screen.  I could not connect to the web GUI nor ping it.  I don't know if the whole system was crashing or if it was only the ethernet that would stop working.

 

OK, this is what I did to get the terramaster nas running on 6.2.2. This is for a fresh install only. It may work for an upgrade but I have not tried it. Create a usb drive with 1.04b (setup your VID/PID, serial, mac, etc). Then download the extra.lzma that real3x created (that excludes the updated graphics driver modules that Jun included in 1.04b) and replace the one in the second partition on the usb drive with it. DO NOT delete the extra2.lzma from the USB drive as others have suggested. If you do, the system will not boot for install. Plug the usb, boot the system with a clean HDD (e.g. no synology partitions exist) and install the 6.2.2 update 4 pat file. I have this running on Terramaster F2-220, F4-220 and a qnap-453be. I recall reading somewhere in the tutorials that the J1800/J1900 cpus do not work with the updated i915 drivers )in 1.04b) for 918 installs.

Finally, if you attempt to use the vanilla 1.04b on these machines, they will boot up fine for install, but once the install is completed they will disappear from the network. seemingly the issue is with the updated graphics driver that causes issues in loading the realtek network driver.

I am waiting to try IG-88s new drivers but for the moment the above is working for me.

Edited by richv31
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richv31 said:

OK, this is what I did to get the terramaster nas running on 6.2.2. This is for a fresh install only. It may work for an upgrade but I have not tried it. Create a usb drive with 1.04b (setup your VID/PID, serial, mac, etc). Then download the extra.lzma that real3x created (that excludes the updated graphics driver modules that Jun included in 1.04b) and replace the one in the second partition on the usb drive with it. DO NOT delete the extra2.lzma from the USB drive as others have suggested. If you do, the system will not boot for install. Plug the usb, boot the system with a clean HDD (e.g. no synology partitions exist) and install the 6.2.2 update 4 pat file. I have this running on Terramaster F2-220, F4-220 and a qnap-453be. I recall reading somewhere in the tutorials that the J1800/J1900 cpus do not work with the updated i915 drivers )in 1.04b) for 918 installs.

Finally, if you attempt to use the vanilla 1.04b on these machines, they will boot up fine for install, but once the install is completed they will disappear from the network. seemingly the issue is with the updated graphics driver that causes issues in loading the realtek network driver.

I am waiting to try IG-88s new drivers but for the moment the above is working for me.

 

Thanks for clarifying.  I did a "vanilla" upgrade (did not use a different extra2.lzma).  I might give this another shot but for now I'm waiting for the rebuild/repair to finish.  It's taking forever.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, richv31 said:

the extra.lzma that real3x created (that excludes the updated graphics driver modules that Jun included in 1.04b)

...

I recall reading somewhere in the tutorials that the J1800/J1900 cpus do not work with the updated i915 drivers )in 1.04b)

 

if someone with a J1800/J1900 is willing to try the new 6.2.2 driver package i would make a version without the new i915 driver - in that case the synology drivers should be loaded and /dev/dri should be there after boot (under best conditions)

 

atm it seems the safest way to offer two different versions .of extra/extra2.lzma (for my own system i will use the one with newer drivers as i'm using a coffee lake cpu)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 12/30/2019 at 12:35 PM, IG-88 said:

 

if someone with a J1800/J1900 is willing to try the new 6.2.2 driver package i would make a version without the new i915 driver - in that case the synology drivers should be loaded and /dev/dri should be there after boot (under best conditions)

 

atm it seems the safest way to offer two different versions .of extra/extra2.lzma (for my own system i will use the one with newer drivers as i'm using a coffee lake cpu)

 

Got a F2-220 with 4GB RAM and J1800 cpu. Had problems updating to latest release. Created a new usb using IG-88 directions (combined 24922 zImage + rd.gz plus his extra.lzma and extra2.lzma from 0.8_syno ds918+. Booted using new usb, chose to migrate, and updated to latest release. After a few reboots all is running well. Got populated /dev/dri. Many Thanks IG-88! 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 11/26/2019 at 7:19 PM, abcd123 said:

Hi Guys,
I'm attaching source code for F4-220 hdd led drivers hoping someone more clever than I will know what to do with it.

Fingers crossed someone will figure out how to compile and add it to 'extras' file.

 

led_drv_TMJ33.c 5.99 kB · 11 downloads led_drv_1800.c 5.96 kB · 8 downloads

 

Can you help me installing the led driver? Or have you been able to fix it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 7:00 AM, squidbilly said:

Got a F2-220 with 4GB RAM and J1800 cpu. Had problems updating to latest release. Created a new usb using IG-88 directions (combined 24922 zImage + rd.gz plus his extra.lzma and extra2.lzma from 0.8_syno ds918+. Booted using new usb, chose to migrate, and updated to latest release. After a few reboots all is running well. Got populated /dev/dri. Many Thanks IG-88! 

I tot a qnap ts-451, with the same j1800 cpu and I'm running ds918+24922. I could't get the plex hw acceleration working. I have plex pass so I think there is something wrong with driver or something? Your's are working well?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.