XPEnology Community

TerraMaster F2-220

mb51running

This is a great new NAS Box for running XPEnology.
- TerraMaster F2-220 2-Bay NAS
- Intel J1800 Dual-Core Celeron with 2.41GHz
- 2GB RAM (upgradable to 4GB)

- 20TB Storage (max. 2x 10TB)
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet

- 1x USB 2.0

- 1x USB 3.0

upgraded to 4GB RAM
- 2GB Transcend TS256MSK64W3N SO-DIMM, DDR3L, 1333, CL9, 1.35V

Installation is straightforward as usual. Replace the internal USB-Stick with yours. Everything is working out of the box. (Gigabit Ethernet, SATA, USB 3.0)

I used DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Loader 1.02b with DSM_DS3615xs_15152.pat file.

terramaster-f2-220-xpenology.jpg

terramaster-f2-220-internal-usbstick.jpg

Edited by mb51running
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one of these too, its a great little NAS, shame about the plastic trays    :(

I've got a strange problem with mine, that I'm hoping someone can advise me on.

I tried about half a dozen different makes of 2gb SODIMMS in it but it would boot with any of them, then last month I got a 4gb SODIMM from a Lenovo laptop.   That boots fine and is found by the BIOS and Server 2012R2. But Xpenology (Jun's loader v1.02b DS3615xs) won't boot with the 6gb of RAM

Anyone have any Ideas ???

FYI,  I tried DS916+ as well that booted but, couldn't find any HDD's.

• 1 month later...

I followed step by step instructions from Polanskiman but for some reason it is not working on TerraMaster F2-220. Only power light (LED) turns green. It initially gets an IP from my router (198.168.1.x) as DHCP but LED for LAN still does not turn on. Synology web assistant did find my NAS. After successful install it reboots, and, then it lost IP address and never gets it. Since no IP address is assigned it does not go to the next step. Also, during the install process LED for HDD activities do not lit either.

Unfortunately I don't have VGA cable to see any activity on computer screen. I tried converting USB to GPT and also to MBR. But, same result.

TOS (original OS from TerraMaster) works perfectly fine. Suggestion?

Hi pokemon,

That sounds like what was happening when I was trying a DS916+ install. I don't think it has the NIC drivers.

Try using a DS3615xs or DS3617xs loader and install.

You could also try removing any RAM that's been added, that is still causing me issues.  :(

ZaFord - Thanks for your suggestion. I did use DS3615xs in all of my tests. I tried all other loaders too but for some reason nothing seems to work. I tried different USB too, still no go. I then tried DS3615xs on Acer PC (AXC-603-UR2C) after removing HDD. Cursor blinks at boot time and no message and no IP address. I then tried this same loader on Gigabyte motherboard (model GA-Z77-DS3H). On this board it showed initial message but never got an IP address.

Everything else on my network is working fine. Other suggestions/ideas?

I tried alternate extra.lmza using OSFMOUNT (by renaming original extra.lmza to extra.lmza.bak and copying downloaded extra.lmza to the same folder) but still no joy. This time message displays for a few seconds and system reboots and this process repeats. I also tried converting UBS from GPT to MBR and vice versa with other boot loader too, still no success. There are too many combinations to try. I think the best option is use serial port.

I do see LPC (Low Pin Count) connector on F2-220, but I don't know the pin layout. I do have USB to serial converter and I can use it with putty as console. If LPC connector can be used for this purpose I'd love to give this a try.

Any knows if LPC can be used with serial console? Also, pin layout for PLC connector. I think all I need is GND, TX and RX pins for serial console.

On 18.10.2017 at 10:05 AM, sbv3000 said:

Did you try the alternative extra.lzma files that contain other nic drivers? @mb51running may have done this but didnt mention in his post. Also, you wont see much connecting a vga, serial port is needed for more boot logs with xpe 6x

Nope! I did a standard install. (create stick, adjust grub.cfg, power on, go ahead with the webinstaller,)

I highly recommend the VGA to 12pin ribbon cable connector! Got mine from ebay now. It took 10 days from Hong Kong ;)

try booting with no hdds installed and see if the nas appears on your network, if that works, format the drives on another PC, reinstall and retry

also, as a test also try XPE 5.2/DSM5.2, if that works then you can telnet to the box and check the hardware configuration and see whats installed. Its possible that on a low cost unit like this, the components are different to the  version @mb51running has.

I dont think you will get a serial connection to the unit, its not the plc connector, but if you look at the mobo for other connectors, there might be a hidden one there.

here are nice reviews with all the hardware inside the box

https://www.modders-inc.com/terramaster-f2-220-review-network-attached-storage-affordable-price/2/

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/33036-noontec-terramaster-f2-220-nas-reviewed

good old realtek problem maybe (two different drivers)?

you might try my two versions extra.lzma to test if one driver works for you

Thanks guys for chiming in. I tried XPE 5.2/DSM5.2 today but I got "failed to install file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)". I made sure VID and PID are matching with my USB values. Overall behavior with 5.2 was similar. Synology assistant did find my NAS initially. But then at installation time it issued this error.

I've also ordered VGA to 12pin ribbon cable connector, but I don't have big hope. On PC monitor there's not much information displayed anyway. I also checked NIC chip and it is same as mentioned in the review link posted by IG-88 (RTL8111F). I think drivers in Jun's loader are working fine as F2-220 can be found by Synology assistant at startup. The problem is somewhere during or after the install.

I noticed LAN LED never turned on, even at the beginning when Synology assistant can find F2-220.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a F2-220 and I have installed xpenology with Polanskiman tutorial (for 6.1.x)

I used Jun's Loader 1.02b for DS3615xs and DSM_DS3615xs_15217.pat 

it seems to work well, but I have some problem:

1.the leds of HDD are always RED (but they are GOOD and work well)

2.the LED of LAN is always off (but the NAS is online)

So...

Can I fix this two problems?

F2-220_xpenology.thumb.jpg.ce2088bd8e91469e81b5a47ae0542863.jpg

Another little problem is that the DSM say me that I have 10 free slot... this is the last problem... but if I can change a config to set that the max number of disks are 2.

DSM_DISK.PNG.6524d8b4df4e487c96c25a4d9bdd70d6.PNG

Last question:

I have installed DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 1 and the DSM tell me that there is DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 3 

Is safe to DOWNLOAD from DSM the last update? Or I have to do a "migration" ? 

DSM_update.PNG.e9e8d98469cea02285615f159b7040f9.PNG

Thanks for support 

P.S.

I'm italian so the screenshots are in italian, sorry for that.

31 minutes ago, compuman said:

it seems to work well, but I have some problem:

1.the leds of HDD are always RED (but they are GOOD and work well)

2.the LED of LAN is always off (but the NAS is online)

So...

Can I fix this two problems?

just try to think about how it may work, it not like every disk has a led that is simply connected to a led and the disk give its status over a bi-color led by itself, there is software controlling the led's and that stuff is usually not open source so ...

i guess there is some special software running on the original nas software controlling this

in theory its possible to find out in the original software how its done and may by it possible of porting this to dsm and maybe you find out a lot about the inner workings of dsm and fit it in but all this may take so much time for just a few led's

Another little problem is that the DSM say me that I have 10 free slot... this is the last problem... but if I can change a config to set that the max number of disks are 2.

also just the looks, you could modify synoinfo.conf in /etc and /etc.defaults

maxdisks=2

internalportcfg=0x3

but that will be reset to the 12 port default on major updates like 6.1.3->6.1.4

I have installed DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 1 and the DSM tell me that there is DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 3 

Is safe to DOWNLOAD from DSM the last update? Or I have to do a "migration" ? 

in this special case no problem, but might be different in the future depending on what the update does, defiantly don't do a 6.1 -> 6.2 that will most likely "break" your system (not booting)

there is a section about that where you can read if there are known problems

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/78-critical-updates/

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

just try to think about how it may work, it not like every disk has a led that is simply connected to a led and the disk give its status over a bi-color led by itself, there is software controlling the led's and that stuff is usually not open source so ...

i guess there is some special software running on the original nas software controlling this

in theory its possible to find out in the original software how its done and may by it possible of porting this to dsm and maybe you find out a lot about the inner workings of dsm and fit it in but all this may take so much time for just a few led's

[LEDs NOT WORK]

Thanks for reply.

I hope there was some driver to load or some other config to change 

also just the looks, you could modify synoinfo.conf in /etc and /etc.defaults

maxdisks=2

internalportcfg=0x3

but that will be reset to the 12 port default on major updates like 6.1.3->6.1.4

[max two disk]

Thanks for info.

I change only maxdisks=2 in /etc.defaults and it works

in this special case no problem, but might be different in the future depending on what the update does, defiantly don't do a 6.1 -> 6.2 that will most likely "break" your system (not booting)

there is a section about that where you can read if there are known problems

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/78-critical-updates/

very very thanks for all

I put this link in mind and I will check for every update.

-

Thanks for help and I hope that my post will be usefull for other user with F2-220 and the same questions.

At the end:
With original TOS  I had some problem with the Terramaster software and with USB3 not work after reboot.

Now I have a good hardware with a good software!!!

I hope the loader will be update for future major release.

• 4 months later...

I´ve installed last version of Xpenology in Terramaster F4-220 smothly. Only problems are related here: red hd lights, soft power off with button doesn´t work (but ok by web), and I don´t know if wake on lan and hd stanby will work.

I don´t know wich OS is better: xpenology with that issues, openmedivault, or left inside original TOS.

Give me advise please!

I don't know openmediavault

For the other two: xpenology vs TOS 

obviously if you are fine with the original TOS, than you have to stay with original TOS... 

But if you try  xpenology, maybe you have some problem with TOS (I have many problem when I restart NAS or with some normal operation for me)

xpenology is "another world" 

with the problem that you know(LEDs, power, etc...) , but with alll the features of xpenology that works very very better, more stable, more options, more software, etc...

My problems is gone, all that I have to do I can do with xpenology:

-HUB on USB3 with 2 HDD without problem on reboot

-transmission (used for torrents, without problem in reboot)

-jdownloader2 (used for direct download... same, no problem for now)

-java (used by jdownloader)

-webpage+php (used for a local webclient for jdownloader)

-mariadb (used for KODI video library db) 

With directory shared via SAMBA and NFS used for KODI library (used from a TV box connected in giga lan) 

• 3 months later...