XPEnology Community

TerraMaster F2-220

mb51running

Hi, I've been troubleshooting for a while now and i've come to a dead end.

I have had 6.1.7 running on an f2-220 for a good few years now, and figured i'd make the effort to update it to 6.2.x or whatever is newest and compatible.

I was running a 1.02b loader i think.

I have done a clean install following the processes described by both delavegagr and rcached

using the 1.03b bios and the appropriate extra.lzma and the files from the .pat using the vid+pid+nic from my previous working config as well as both a fresh and reused serial

i have reconfigured the bios to boot in legacy mode, as well as setting the boot os to "windows 7"

From the screen it appears to be booting into the loader just fine, yet despite my best efforts i still cant detect my server on the network either through synology assistant, the web page, or arp -a and its ip.

If there is something completely obvious I have overlooked pointing it out would be appreciated,

thanks and regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and welcome!

My apologies for not responding sooner.  I thought I had added a "follow" to this topic, but it seems I did not!  

Since you did not quote one of my posts directly, I received no alert this time.  I did make sure "follow" is marked on this thread now, so that should prevent his from happening again.  Sorry about that!

On 11/17/2020 at 9:06 AM, autumnhasfall3n said:

From the screen it appears to be booting into the loader just fine

This is good.  I assume you are confirming this via the VGA cable?

On 11/17/2020 at 9:06 AM, autumnhasfall3n said:

yet despite my best efforts i still cant detect my server on the network either through synology assistant, the web page, or arp -a and its ip.

arp is one of those really fickle kinda tools!  It's essentially a cache of IPs and MACs you've previously resolved to.  The only way addresses and MACs get added to the cache is if the TCP/IP stack gets engaged to a specific IP by the present machine in some way.  Meaning, if the newly updated 220 gets assigned a new and totally different IP by DHCP from whatever networking device you're connecting to, it may not show up in arp!  At least, that's been my experience.

So, a couple of suggestions:

1. Double check you entered the correct MAC address in your GRUB file.
  2. If you're using a previously assigned IP address for the old install and you think the new install is using the same IP, make sure you add the port number when you're connecting via the browser; example: http//:youripaddresshere:5000
  3. If you have some sort of connected client status page on your router control panel, check there for any active possible IP addresses by process of elimination of known clients
  4. Try using an IP/port scanner instead of arp.  Use same process of elimination as mentioned above.
  5. There have been some reports on this forum and others that sometimes a router or network device reboot is required to be able to connect to a new Xpenology install for the first time.  YMMV, but that's a simple thing to try at least.
  6. Instead of using DHCP, assign a static IP for the MAC address of the 220 at your router/networking device level.  This is how I personally avoid situations like this!

Good luck! 

Let us know if that doesn't solve your issue.  Maybe brains better or more experienced than mine can offer additional help!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, nygage said:

Thanks! Sorry i've misspelling, is there any possibility to install dms without the VGA? I don't have VGA monitor

Greetings and welcome!

A few people earlier in the thread posted success without using the 12P to 15P cable, but as delavegagr mentions, it could be that your or their BIOS settings had already been changed.

On 12/1/2018 at 10:19 PM, harshakavuri said:

Can confirm 1.04b loader works on F4-220 without the video cable and setting the bios. Went from 1.02b 3615xs to 1.04b d981+ and there is no need for video cable atleast in my case.

On 8/19/2018 at 12:34 AM, houmic48 said:

Not sure what you guys are talking about. I just did the 6.2 on my f4-220 without any vga cable without any issues. Just went through the normal steps and I had no problems. I did a fresh install from the stock TOS. 

But it's YMMV.  If you're not having success it's difficult to diagnose the issue without the 12P to 15P cable.  Unfortunately the TerraMaster NAS devices can have issues booting directly to USB out of the box.

Just as an FYI, you can use a VGA to HDMI converter with the 12P to 15P ribbon cable.  I already owned one in my "bag of tricks".

The kind I have is USB powered.  

Here are two choices:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254699617684

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284155612563

The first one will need either an HDMI coupler or an HDMI cable with a female end, which may be problematic.  The second one can just use a regular HDMI cable.

Other converters may work, too.  I just can't vouch for anything other than the style(s) above.

Good luck!

Edited by rcached

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 9:12 AM, delavegagr said:

Hello i want to post my successful CLEAN installation of DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 6 on the F2-220.

The things i have used:
-Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3615xs (LINK)
-Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs (LINK)
-Bios settings set to "Legacy"
-VGA cable to select USB Stick from Boot options

Steps:
-First edit the GRUB file with VID,PID,MAC etc
-Second, mount the second partition and replace the extra.lzma file from Driver extension mod
-Third, extract the zImage and the rd.gz from the DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat file and place them on the second partition again

Screenshot_2020-07-06 Diskstation - Synology DiskStation.png

Edit:

I have tested the DSM 6.2.3-25426 Version and booted up nicely

I have followed the same steps but i have used the following:
-Same loader
-Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 (LINK)
-The zImage and the rd.gz from the DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat file

Screenshot_2020-07-06 DiskStation - Synology DiskStation(2).png

it worked for my Terramaster F2-220, as well.

Thank you very much for providing the details.

My upgrade path:

1. I "migrated" from 6.2.1 to 6.2.2 (DS918+). After the upgrade, I was not able to boot any more, although the update was completed successfully according to the sun-log-files.
  2. I flashed usb stick with 1.03b boot loader as suggested in your description. Changed extra.lzm and zImage and rd.gz from the synology pat-file.
  3. When using RUFUS, i checked the option "show as usb hdd".
  4. I selected the reinstall option in grub, then clean install of 6.2.2 (DS3615xs). Completing the upgrade.
  5. Then, again having flashed the usb stick with the 6.2.3 files, did a clean install of 6.2.3 (DS3615xs). Completing the upgrade. 

Success

What really killed my nerves, was the problem that at first, I did not get to the GRUB loading screen.

On my screen, I did not get past GRUB - no interrupt possible, the boot process freezed.

To fix this, check the option in RUFUS "show as usb hdd" and change boot device priority in the BIOS to boot from the flash drive.

By default, the HDD-disks are selected as priority one.

Thank you all for your great work here.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/24/2021 at 8:54 AM, Sergi1974 said:

I have a Terramaster F5-221 with a celeron j3355, Will try to install xpenology with 1.03b.. Has somebody made this install? Or do I need other loader?

Hi!  The -221 models are a significant enough difference from the -220 models that it likely they have their own specific installation procedure, if I had to guess.

Unfortunately, the Xpenology forum search can be a bit useless at times.

If you use Google instead and restrict the results to just xpenology.com:

You'll find some results which may prove helpful.

Threads I'd suggest focusing on:

Two posts in particular I'd suggest giving a look:

Good luck!

On 9/28/2021 at 11:47 PM, rcached said:

Hi!  The -221 models are a significant enough difference from the -220 models that it likely they have their own specific installation procedure, if I had to guess.

Unfortunately, the Xpenology forum search can be a bit useless at times.

If you use Google instead and restrict the results to just xpenology.com:

You'll find some results which may prove helpful.

Threads I'd suggest focusing on:

Two posts in particular I'd suggest giving a look:

Good luck!

Working perfectly in my F5-221!!

With 1.04b and extras for 918+

Just has to change the boot for UEFI only and that's all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 12:06 AM, autumnhasfall3n said:

I have had 6.1.7 running on an f2-220 for a good few years now, and figured i'd make the effort to update it to 6.2.x or whatever is newest and compatible.

I was running a 1.02b loader i think.

I have done a clean install following the processes described by both delavegagr and rcached

using the 1.03b bios and the appropriate extra.lzma and the files from the .pat using the vid+pid+nic from my previous working config as well as both a fresh and reused serial

i have reconfigured the bios to boot in legacy mode, as well as setting the boot os to "windows 7"

From the screen it appears to be booting into the loader just fine, yet despite my best efforts i still cant detect my server on the network either through synology assistant, the web page, or arp -a and its ip.

If there is something completely obvious I have overlooked pointing it out would be appreciated,

thanks and regards

Did you end up getting to the bottom of this?  I'm in exactly the same situation here however I'm installing from scratch rather than upgrading.  Once it's done the 10 minute DSM install, I can no longer see it on the network.  If I start again from the bootloader menu when I get to the Synology screen it detects a previous install and thinks I've moved the drive from another NAS. 

I note that (once it's finished apparently installing) when I boot with the USB removed, I just get "GRUB" on the screen.  Is that right or is that indicative of some other issue?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/18/2020 at 3:06 AM, autumnhasfall3n said:

So i gave up like 2 years ago, but i had a long weekend so i took another crack at moving from 5.1.7 to 6.2.3

and i did it!!!!

On 11/29/2020 at 7:39 PM, rcached said:

So, a couple of suggestions:

1. Double check you entered the correct MAC address in your GRUB file.
  2. If you're using a previously assigned IP address for the old install and you think the new install is using the same IP, make sure you add the port number when you're connecting via the browser; example: http//:youripaddresshere:5000
  3. If you have some sort of connected client status page on your router control panel, check there for any active possible IP addresses by process of elimination of known clients
  4. Try using an IP/port scanner instead of arp.  Use same process of elimination as mentioned above.
  5. There have been some reports on this forum and others that sometimes a router or network device reboot is required to be able to connect to a new Xpenology install for the first time.  YMMV, but that's a simple thing to try at least.
  6. Instead of using DHCP, assign a static IP for the MAC address of the 220 at your router/networking device level.  This is how I personally avoid situations like this!

This was actually really helpful. My bastard of a router at the time still decided to hide the thing, but hey i learned something about arp thats neat. Ended up using some network scanning utility, all worked out great.

On 11/3/2021 at 11:57 PM, Hipsi said:

Did you end up getting to the bottom of this?  I'm in exactly the same situation here however I'm installing from scratch rather than upgrading.  Once it's done the 10 minute DSM install, I can no longer see it on the network.  If I start again from the bootloader menu when I get to the Synology screen it detects a previous install and thinks I've moved the drive from another NAS. 

I note that (once it's finished apparently installing) when I boot with the USB removed, I just get "GRUB" on the screen.  Is that right or is that indicative of some other issue?

for the record you and i were having different problems. What happened to you was you accidentally downloaded the dsm update from the internet instead of manually installing it (in your defence i did this while trying to update). The internet versions are now beyond the bootloader, so if this does happen you can either wipe your storage disks, reset your usb and try again. OR  follow this handy guide.

Also for the people asking about 2.3.4, it doesnt work.

• 2 months later...

Hello guys, I have great news, I have successfully upgraded my F2-220 from 6.2 to 7.1.

I have followed this method/mod/hack from THE SAINT  @pocopico  Install DSM 7 on BareMetal or VM based on Redpill
-BIOS is set to UEFI, in Legacy mode it kept booting with black screen
-I have used the automated script to create VID,PID, only the MAC is changed by hand.
-I have chosen the DS918+ with the apollolake-7.1.0-42661 configuration

F2-220 (1).jpg

F2-220 (1).png

F2-220 (2).png

F2-220 (3).jpg

Edited by delavegagr

On 7/9/2022 at 11:42 AM, Hipsi said:

That's great news @delavegagr. I'd like to do this also, just to confirm, you were able to do this with your hard drives fitted, and you had no issues with data loss?

First, I have tried it with a clean installation using a laptop hdd, as I confirmed that everything seemed to work I have used my own drives and performed a system upgrade, all my data is accessible and all of my settings

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/11/2022 at 6:47 AM, delavegagr said:

First, I have tried it with a clean installation using a laptop hdd, as I confirmed that everything seemed to work I have used my own drives and performed a system upgrade, all my data is accessible and all of my settings

I'm a bit slow to the party but just testing this now with an old hard drive.  I get to the point of uploading the pat file and it reaches about 50% (give or take a couple of percent each time I try) then fails, telling me to check my network connection.  I've tried this both over my wifi originally and then connected directly to the same switch the NAS is connected to, either way it just won't make it through the install process.  Don't know what to try from here.

15 minutes ago, Hipsi said:

I'm a bit slow to the party but just testing this now with an old hard drive.  I get to the point of uploading the pat file and it reaches about 50% (give or take a couple of percent each time I try) then fails, telling me to check my network connection.  I've tried this both over my wifi originally and then connected directly to the same switch the NAS is connected to, either way it just won't make it through the install process.  Don't know what to try from here.

errors around 50% installing the pat file generally means an incorrect vid/pid setting on the boot usb, check carefully the settings. also make sure you are using the matching pat file version to your build, obvious I know but worth checking :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay got it going thanks for the help.  The issue ended up being that I was starting with the UEFI image, but when I tried again just with the basic image it worked.  

Just out of interest, do you find that you can't reboot the NAS?  I find if I issue a reboot command either from the DSM GUI or from ssh, it shuts down but won't boot up again.  I have to physically power cycle it.

Also for anyone else on this journey, I'm running Home Assistant in Docker within DSM.  I ran into problems with my zigbee USB stick, in that Synology don't include the drivers for it in DSM 7. I found them here https://github.com/robertklep/dsm7-usb-serial-drivers.  I got this going fine and everything was dandy, until I hooked up a USB card reader, which couldn't be mounted until I installed exFAT.  Did that and all was good, but then following a reboot, DSM wouldn't come back online.  I found removing the USB card reader resolved this, but my zigbee stick wouldn't mount anymore.  After many hours searching for a solution, I removed exFAT and voila, working once again.  I guess I'll just transfer files using network rather than plugging into the USB ports then.

• 8 months later...

Just a quick how-to for anyone finding this thread, I installed DSM 7.2-64561 on my F2-220 quickly and all features work (except those that require a valid Synology account login as I do not have a valid Synology serial). I had a lot of trouble with a few different bootloader apps so figured I'd chime in with what finally worked

1. Remove the internal USB flash drive
  2. Just for safety's sake and future use I made an image of the TOS internal flash drive using Passmark imageUSB (https://www.osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html), I wrote the new image to another flash drive and tested it by booting the F2-220 successfully
  3. Installed win32diskImager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/) for writing the bootloader image(s) to new USB drives
  4. Downloaded fork arpl-i18n fork version 23.5.10 (https://github.com/wjz304/arpl-i18n). I tried every single redpill loader related bootloader, fork, etc both the original and automated variety and each one failed for some reason or another EXCEPT this one.
  5. Wrote arpl-i18n 23.5.10 to a new 32GB USB flash drive. (A note about flash drives: I spent a couple of hours banging my head against a wall trying to install this with other loaders and my initial problem was the USB flash drive it self. If you are having errors when trying to build try a different flash drive, preferably different brand/manufacturer. I had several Silicon Power drives that all had same errors when trying to build, had some issues  with other drives too, this is apparently VERY sensitive about drive/speed/manuafacturer. The one that finally worked for me was a generic drive I happened to find in a drawer. Again, if you're struggling with errors in build, try a different flash drive).
  6. Replaced the new arpl-i18n drive in my F2-220, plugged in the ethernet and power and booted up.
  7. F2-220 will pull an IP address from DHCP, so after it has booted up, check your router or run your preferred network scanner to find its IP address
  8. Installation can be down via browser or SSH, if using a browser goto http://<IPADDRESS>:7681
  9. Go through the first 3 menu items
    1. Model I choose 918+
    2. Build 64561
    3. Chose first MAC address
    4. Autogenerate serial number
    5. Auto select number of SATA ports
    6. Build
  10. It will take a few minutes to download and build the bootloader (depending on your internet connection)
  11. After build is complete you'll be presented with the option to soft boot to the new DSM bootloader
  12. Once it has loaded, point your browswer to http://<IPADDRESS>:5000 and follow instructions to install Synology DSM. I chose to upload and install the 7.2 build I had downloaded direct from Synology, but I could have chosen to auto-install and let it download the newest version as (at the time I'm writing this), the newest build was 64561, same as the newest build to download from Synology
  13. Skip the account registration/login step as it will fail since you have a generated serial number that does not match any actual Synology device
  14. Reboot and enjoy
  15. Everything works except remote access type tools that rely on  the Synology account login, etc