XPEnology Community

TerraMaster F2-220

mb51running

On 12/29/2019 at 7:18 PM, richv31 said:

OK, this is what I did to get the terramaster nas running on 6.2.2. This is for a fresh install only. It may work for an upgrade but I have not tried it. Create a usb drive with 1.04b (setup your VID/PID, serial, mac, etc). Then download the extra.lzma that real3x created (that excludes the updated graphics driver modules that Jun included in 1.04b) and replace the one in the second partition on the usb drive with it. DO NOT delete the extra2.lzma from the USB drive as others have suggested. If you do, the system will not boot for install. Plug the usb, boot the system with a clean HDD (e.g. no synology partitions exist) and install the 6.2.2 update 4 pat file. I have this running on Terramaster F2-220, F4-220 and a qnap-453be. I recall reading somewhere in the tutorials that the J1800/J1900 cpus do not work with the updated i915 drivers )in 1.04b) for 918 installs.

Finally, if you attempt to use the vanilla 1.04b on these machines, they will boot up fine for install, but once the install is completed they will disappear from the network. seemingly the issue is with the updated graphics driver that causes issues in loading the realtek network driver.

I am waiting to try IG-88s new drivers but for the moment the above is working for me.

I have a TerraMaster F5-220 and a true synology I was able to load DSM 6.1.XXXXXX I have read you post several times. I am trying to load DSM 6.2.2 . only because there is a package I want to use and it requires 6.2.X or higher. You reference  extra.lzma that real3x created (that excludes the updated graphics driver modules that Jun included in 1.04b) I can't For the life of me find the files you mentioned. I'm not lazy but the forum is a little like what happens in never speak of Usenet LOL. There must be some limitation that prevents hyperlinks to be used in the forums. As I mentioned I truly tried to find the files and follow your information. Would you be kind enough to help me out?

My error every time I tried to down load any of the files the process failed I was only getting the HTML file for the page. when I used a download manager I was able to download the Extra2.Lzma files. please forgive my brain fart.

Edited by Nunyafb Izness

27 minutes ago, Nunyafb Izness said:

I have a TerraMaster F5-220 and a true synology I was able to load DSM 6.6.XXXXXX I have read you post several times. I am trying to load DSM 6.2.2 . only because there is a package I want to use and it requires 6.2.X or higher. You reference  extra.lzma that real3x created (that excludes the updated graphics driver modules that Jun included in 1.04b) I can't For the life of me find the files you mentioned. I'm not lazy but the forum is a little like what happens in never speak of Usenet LOL. There must be some limitation that prevents hyperlinks to be used in the forums. As I mentioned I truly tried to find the files and follow your information. Would you be kind enough to help me out?

Try this one https://mega.nz/file/lgBSxIYC#lRzwpgfmd6H6NM4H1Y9TE8vMOyUz8RdEHSLkvlFwFuA

On my TS451 works perfectly fine. Even with hw transcoding.

I found it on a Chinese forum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, kociubin said:

Has anyone tried the latest 6.2.3-25426 with our F4-220?  As per some other threads support for the Realtek r8168 chip should be included so it may just work out of the box.

In a word YES I have been working on what i did and exactly how so even NOOBS such as myself can do it. If you want I can pm you my rough notes and you can send me questions while I finish cleaning up my notes. This includes installing the fancontrol.

5 minutes ago, Nunyafb Izness said:

In a word YES I have been working on what i did and exactly how so even NOOBS such as myself can do it. If you want I can pm you my rough notes and you can send me questions while I finish cleaning up my notes. This includes installing the fancontrol.

I will attempt it today.  It would be great if you could post your notes here for everyone to see. 

8 hours ago, Nunyafb Izness said:

8 hours ago, kociubin said:

I will attempt it today.  It would be great if you could post your notes here for everyone to see. 

Yes!! Post notes! And a noob info on how to upgrade/update the firmware without losing all my data ^^. If it has hardware support for Plex to this will be awesome :)

13 minutes ago, Benoit258 said:

Yes!! Post notes! And a noob info on how to upgrade/update the firmware without losing all my data ^^. If it has hardware support for Plex to this will be awesome :)

I'm Sorry I am NOT a Linux guy I use it maybe 1-2 times a year usually dealing with Xpenology upgrades. I'm over 60 Y/O and frankly don't have time to really learn it (Linux guy's are free to flame me but when you get over 60 tell me you want to learn a whole new programing language) I end up looking up commands every time I try a new project. 

I can not guarantee you won't lose you date I did my work as a clean install. I don't use Plex I use Emby and I don't care about transcoding Sorry. I'm working on info right now and will try to post as soon as I can.

I decided to just pull the trigger and apply the upgrade to 6.2.3.  I was able to upgrade directly from  "DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6" to:  6.2.3-25426.   I didn't have to do any additional tweaks. I simply upgraded from the UI and 10 minutes later my NAS was back up and running 6.2.3.

Everything appears to work OK so far.  I noticed that I lost hardware transcoding (i.e. no /dev/dri device) but I don't care. 

55 minutes ago, kociubin said:

I decided to just pull the trigger and apply the upgrade to 6.2.3.  I was able to upgrade directly from  "DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6" to:  6.2.3-25426.   I didn't have to do any additional tweaks. I simply upgraded from the UI and 10 minutes later my NAS was back up and running 6.2.3.

Everything appears to work OK so far.  I noticed that I lost hardware transcoding (i.e. no /dev/dri device) but I don't care. 

I was able to get transcoding to work.  I used v0.13.3 extras from this thread:  "Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 918+ / 3615xs / 3617xs"

Everything works now including hardware transcoding inside plex. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello i want to post my successful CLEAN installation of DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 6 on the F2-220.

The things i have used:
-Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3615xs (LINK)
-Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs (LINK)
-Bios settings set to "Legacy"
-VGA cable to select USB Stick from Boot options

Steps:
-First edit the GRUB file with VID,PID,MAC etc
-Second, mount the second partition and replace the extra.lzma file from Driver extension mod
-Third, extract the zImage and the rd.gz from the DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat file and place them on the second partition again

Screenshot_2020-07-06 Diskstation - Synology DiskStation.png

Edit:

I have tested the DSM 6.2.3-25426 Version and booted up nicely

I have followed the same steps but i have used the following:
-Same loader
-Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 (LINK)
-The zImage and the rd.gz from the DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat file

Screenshot_2020-07-06 DiskStation - Synology DiskStation(2).png

Edited by delavegagr
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just an FYI I upgraded my TerraMaster FS-420 from DSM_DS918+_25426 to DSM_DS918+_25426 update 2, I made a backup of the settings just in case. I use what I call my "TerraXpen NAS" as a backup device for my real Synology NAS. I mention this only because I knew if I lost everything I could start from the beginning and recreate the backups I already had.  I downloaded the update closed my eyes (Just kidding How would I know if I was really clicking the correct button with my eyes closed.)  The system did its thing after about only 3 minutes the system rebooted, I checked what version was installed and I was glad to see DSM_DS918+_25426 update 2. I confirmed I still had automatic updates was turned off in case the update reset things to automatic updates. and I am assuming all is well.

Edited by Nunyafb Izness
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2020 at 7:38 PM, Benoit258 said:

I haven't Forgotten you I just have some serious medical issues (Not Coved-19 related) in my family that takes up a lot of my time. I'm back editing my notes and will try to get them posted as soon as I can.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 9:12 AM, delavegagr said:

Hello i want to post my successful CLEAN installation of DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 6 on the F2-220.

The things i have used:
-Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3615xs (LINK)
-Bios settings set to "Legacy"
-VGA cable to select USB Stick from Boot options

Steps:
-First edit the GRUB file with VID,PID,MAC etc

[.....]

Edit:
I have tested the DSM 6.2.3-25426 Version and booted up nicely

I have followed the same steps but i have used the following:
-Same loader
-Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 (LINK)
-The zImage and the rd.gz from the DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat file

Screenshot_2020-07-06 DiskStation - Synology DiskStation(2).png

I've tried this one with the drivers from "extra3615_v0.11_test"

bootloader ds3615_6.2

and DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat

The inital boot completes, but after installing DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat it stops at GRUB bootloder (showing GRUB GRUB _)

No chance to interrupt GRUB (to try to change some linux-boot commands or something)

:(

EDIT:

The Problem was booting from the HDD/RAID

After choosing the USB-Thumbdrive as default it worked fine (havent read your instructions quiete well)

grafik.thumb.png.1d48ca74839a72c2a9168ea065be0096.png

Edited by bbr1729
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 3:12 AM, delavegagr said:

On 8/28/2020 at 3:58 PM, bbr1729 said:

I've tried this one with the drivers from "extra3615_v0.11_test"

As others mentioned in the thread delavegagr links to in the quote above, the download for the "Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs"  is down.  From reading that thread, it appears it has been for some time now.

I searched that thread and checked online elsewhere (by the hash) for a mirror but could not find one.

If someone could provide a viable "Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs" link for download, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

After much testing of the various options and In the spirit of delavegagr's previous post, the following is what I used.

Successful CLEAN installation of DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2 on the F4-220.

• Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3615xs (LINK)
  • Driver extension 6.2.3 v0.11_test for Jun's Loader 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.3 for 3615xs (LINK)
  • Bios, "OS Selection" settings set to "Windows 7"  (Bios version: GBTM1210 x64)
  • VGA cable to select USB Stick from Boot options

Steps utilized:

• First edit the GRUB file with VID,PID,MAC etc
  • Second, mount the second partition and replace the extra.lzma file from Driver extension v0.11_test
  • Third, extract the zImage and the rd.gz from the DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat file and place them on the second partition again

So far, this seem to be working well.  The fans even seem to be ramping up/down correctly, with no interaction on my part?

Drives seem to run a bit hot (in the 40s) but that is likely due to the case design, and nothing a hardware mod cannot fix.

Many thanks to delavegagr,  Nunyafb, kociubin, and other contributors to this thread!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kociubin said:

Install fancontrol to improve your temps.    Go back a few pages in this thread for instructions. 

Thank you for your reply!

I have - at various points in the testing - used the various versions of eudean's work that i could find.  It made no difference.

As I stated in the previous reply, the "fans even seem to be ramping up/down correctly, with no interaction on my part?".   eudean's fancontrol made no bottom line difference in my particular situation.

There's quite a bit of obstruction in an unaltered F4-220, including the plastic faceplate.  I was thinking of removing some of the internal sheet metal/aluminum where I could, and then putting a 200mm hole on the top of the exterior shell.  A fan could then be mounted externally then, either in pull position upward out of the enclosure or a push position down into the enclosure, depending on the orientation of the back two fans.   It would create better flow and cooling.

2 minutes ago, rcached said:

There's quite a bit of obstruction in an unaltered F4-220, including the plastic faceplate.  I was thinking of removing some of the internal sheet metal/aluminum where I could, and then putting a 200mm hole on the top of the exterior shell.  A fan could then be mounted externally then, either in pull position upward out of the enclosure or a push position down into the enclosure, depending on the orientation of the back two fans.   It would create better flow and cooling.

There is no need for that, i suck(easily bored) with software modding so i purchased a fan controller module from Aliexpress and it works just fine

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 11:31 PM, compuman said:

Today I tested "fancontrol" code and made some modification.

1. the order of parameters is different from what write on "istructions" so it didn't work at first try... I change istructions of -h to be consistent with parameters
    <debug> <pwminit> <setpoint> <interval> <overheat> <pwmmin> <kp> <ki> <imax> <kd>
  2. I add a new parameter (second in list) that make you change the tested temperature between DISK (0) or CPU (1)  (coretemp of terramaster that I prefer) 
    So now the parameters are:
    <debug> <test_temp> <pwminit> <setpoint> <interval> <overheat> <pwmmin> <kp> <ki> <imax> <kd>

I scheduled:

/root/fancontrol 0 1 50 35 20 40 50

source

fancontrol.cpp 7.36 kB · 17 downloads

and executable for DSM 6.2.1

fancontrol 13.9 kB · 26 downloads

thanks eudean for the code

PS

I have no time to test different cicle for the fan,

but next change can be to replicate  lm-sensor fan control or not...

That looks really really nice. Any chance to get this re-compiled for the F2-221 (it uses the IT8613E rather than the IT8772E)...

Regards