XPEnology Community

TerraMaster F2-220

mb51running

well,

if the NAS not recognize the RAID... i don't think so... no

the only way you can "try" 

is to connect one disk of the raid to external USB3  (with SATA-USB adaptor)

IF you have RAID 1 without encrypted data... it can work.

NOW

you can create RAID 1  on other DISK (insert into NAS) and then copy the data from USB3 to internal RAID 1 (temporary with only one disk)

After

you can disconnect the disk from USB3 and insert internal

and then correct the error on RAID,  ri-syncronize with the good one inserted before, to recreate good RAID 1 structure.

BUT 

you have to commit not errors or you will lost every data

(better if you copy/backup data to PC via SATA-USB adaptor before RAID operations)

Someone test DSM 6.2.2 ? 

I tested it yesterday and after the UPDATE the NAS not boot UP 

I have to downgrade the NAS to 6.2.1 again, but I have to reimport configuration and reinstall package

The question:

what the problem with this UPDATE ? 

maybe someone with a good serial number + MAC address have tested if it works ? 

• 2 weeks later...

If someone is interested I make a PoC of

XPEnology installed on VM on ESXi system (obviusly on my F2-220):

1. I installed ESXi 6.7 on Internal USB (from a USB bootable connected to external USB that I modified to load Realtek network driver and then force ignoreHeadless=TRUE)
  2. From system ESXi I installed Dastastore on a new External USB Stick (it need some command line via SSH to force this operation)
    I use the USB2 port, because I want to use USB3 for external HDD...
  3. I installed XPEnology on a VM created in Datastore:
    1. boot using DS3615xs 1.03b loader
    2. Configuring the network NIC E1000E, it works also with last DSM 6.2.2 (this is my goal) 
    3. Configuring the VM with Physical Disk mapped on vmdk (to use the disk that I'm using now, also this have to do via SSH command line)
    4. Configurind the VM to use external HDD via USB passthrough (this NOT WORK!!! I can't see USB DEVICE)

All seems to work well except for external HDD that is not visible

(I think because of POINT 2. that modify USB configuration).

If someone want to TEST this way, you need:

1. USB Stick for ESXi 6.7 boot ISO (i created it with rufus)
  2. USB Stick for install the ESXi system (minimal 4gb)
  3. USB Stick for create the VM (I can't create this on the internat usb free space?!?) 
  4. HDD test (if you want only to test the ESXi)

The system ESXi seems to be very stable, also with F2-220 hardware 

The VM XPEnology seems to be very reactive, but i make "poor" test,

Now I return to original configuration (cause I use external HDD and I have only this NAS) 

But I will make some other test in future... 

• Thanks 1

This weekend I complete my test with ESXi 6.7

I found a method to use "free space on internal USB stick" like DataStore without change the USB policy, so with ONE solution I solve two problem:

-external USB stick on USB2 port no more needed

-external USB HDD on USB3 port works in VM XPEnology like always (share by default like usbshare1 and usbshare2)

SO 

like normal XPEnology installation, you need ONLY 1 USB internal Stick that BOOT ESXi system, and then you can use the same USB Stick to save VM information, VM disk, etc...

In the VM configuration you can pass the entire SATA DISK to VM, so you can use the two SATA  bay for the DISK like always...

Now I can complete the test with performance test:

Samba share pass from ESXi system -> to VM XPEnology so a lower performance I think is "normal"

Also, I discover that the PCI CONTROLLER for USB DEVICE is not compatible with "pass-through" (ESXi system say "not capable") so, I think the lower performance I see is normal

In particolar:

-copy file from/to USBSHARE folder on external USB 3 HDD 

normal XPEnology installation: 50/60 MB/sec

ESXi  XPEnology VM installation: 30/40 MB/sec

-copy file from/to INTERNAL HDD shared by DSM

normal XPEnology installation: 60/80 MB/sec

ESXi  XPEnology VM installation: 40/50 MB/sec

I test some tuning (more CPU reservation, more memory reservation, etc...) but I don't know ESXi system very well, so... I can't tell to have the best configuration... 

If someone can make more test, 

NOW this can be a way to use future DSM if it "only" works on VM and not directly installed (like 6.2.2)

At the end:

XPEnology can works on ONE internal USB, with moderate/normal performance,

obviusly you need VGA cable and a keyboard to install ESXi, 

but after the first boot, you can configure from browser VM and austart of the VM... so, the normal boot is "slow" but automatic

(first boot ESXi and after 10 sec autostart the VM with XPEnology)

Good

DSM 6.2 works with DS3615 1.03b loader (need vga cable to change boot order)

DSM 6.2.1 works with DS918+ 1.04b loader (without vga cable) 

DSM 6.2.2 works only with VM ox ESXi system (nedd vga cable for installation, and I try DS3615 1.03b loader with virtual NIC E1000e)

DS3615 is more compatible, have more packages, have fancontrol via lm-sensors

DS918+ works well but have less packages and fancontrol have to be compiled in gcc 

On 5/12/2019 at 8:51 AM, Wolffamily13 said:

I'm trying to install on to terramaster f2 221 it got it to install but it wouldn't let me set storage volume up and after removing the USB stick since I figured it installed on the my spare SSD drive it wouldn't boot any help I used the 1.04b img file is there something else I should have done other than just burning the img with win32

if you try VM on ESXi, can you confirm that VT-X and VT-D works ? (you have to active that on BIOS Advanced CPU settings)

for USB it makes differense and maybe you can passthough the USB device to VM

to have more speed (maybe the same speed with normal installation and VM installation) 

1 hour ago, Xentrax said:

I can confirm. Don't update to 6.2.2. It will not work. Is there any easy way to downgrade again?

There are several threads on downgrading from a failed upgrade, can be done by editing various config files and migrating, or (my favourite method and easier imho) is to build a clean XPE/DSM install on a spare hdd and allow that drive to 'repair' the system, here is one thread with the process

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 4:59 PM, compuman said:

I add a new parameter "MAX PWM for normal use" until overheat, then jump to 255.

-So it start with pwminit

-use cicle testing setpoint temperature and set the fan  between pwmmin and pwmmax_n

-when overheat, the fan jump directly to 255... 

it look something like lm-sensor did, more or less

:D

So now the parameters are:

<debug> <test_temp> <pwminit> <setpoint> <interval> <overheat> <pwmmin> <pwmmax_n> <kp> <ki> <imax> <kd>

I scheduled at boot:

/root/fancontrol 0 1 40 35 20 42 40 160

you have to tuning the temperature for DISK or CPU...

setpoint 35° and overheat 42° for CPU, seems to work for me

(maybe have to be a little bigger, but for now i want the fan to "spin up and down" to control code, so it's ok)

source

fancontrol.cpp 7.56 kB · 7 downloads

and executable for DSM 6.2.1

fancontrol 13.98 kB · 15 downloads

hi,

can I get some help using this?

I copied the file in /root/ chmod +x it, but if I try to run it I get fancontrol : command not found error.

the fan is just pulsating from time to time.

any help will be appreciated

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2019 at 9:27 PM, Regi1442 said:

hi,

can I get some help using this?

I copied the file in /root/ chmod +x it, but if I try to run it I get fancontrol : command not found error.

the fan is just pulsating from time to time.

any help will be appreciated

I would like to get help on this subject as well. Thank you.

Before I moved from a DS215j to to a Terramaster F2-220 the temperature of the 2 hard disks usually remained below 30 ° centigrades. Now temperature reaches up to 44 ° when idle. Therefore, I need to install the script but I failed to do so.  Therefore, any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 5:36 PM, tdse13 said:

Before I moved from a DS215j to to a Terramaster F2-220 the temperature of the 2 hard disks usually remained below 30 ° centigrades. Now temperature reaches up to 44 ° when idle. Therefore, I need to install the script but I failed to do so.  Therefore, any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

go this link 

"/volume[Your volume number]/[your fancontrol directory]/fancontrol 0 37 150 10 50 80 0 0 0 0" works for my F4-220

On 6/10/2019 at 3:19 AM, compuman said:

I found a method to use "free space on internal USB stick" like DataStore without change the USB policy, so with ONE solution I solve two problem:

-external USB stick on USB2 port no more needed

-external USB HDD on USB3 port works in VM XPEnology like always (share by default like usbshare1 and usbshare2)

This is very cool. 

1) Can you share more details for how to use the "free space on internal USB stick" ? 

2) Have you been able to improve the read/write performance of your setup?  This is the only reason why I'm hesitating to do this. 

For those thinking of using this Terramaster box with VMware ESXi, my advice is DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.  There are too many issues and the setup is not robust enough even for home use.  Here are some serious issues:

• Hardware pass-through for disks is not fully working.  This means that even if you get the drives to show up in Synology (this requires some command line hackery), S.M.A.R.T. info will not be readable by synology.  This is a critical warning system that's too important to give up (IMHO)
  • I couldn't get all 4 of my drives to show up in Synology.  No matter what I tried only 3 of them were accessible.
  • Booting ESXi 6.7 from a USB stick resulted in various settings to be lost after a reboot.  I was able to work around it by installing ESXi on a real SSD drive but that sacrifices one of your slots.  
  • There is a 10-20% performance hit in reading/writing from disks

After spending about 10 hours on this, I'm going back to bare metal.  Although this sounded like a good idea, it's not workable for me in practice.

On 10/2/2019 at 3:20 AM, go2net said:

"/volume[Your volume number]/[your fancontrol directory]/fancontrol 0 37 150 10 50 80 0 0 0 0" works for my F4-220

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the program does not work. ./fancontrol -h shows the options, ./fancontrol starts but nothing happens. Only ctrl. -x returns to the prompt. Any idea what is wrong on my side? Thank you.

Edited by tdse13