XPEnology Community

TerraMaster F2-220

mb51running

That system uses a J1800 which is an Ivy Bridge processor.  The 1.04b loader/DS918 image combination requires Haswell or later, so your CPU is not supported.

On 1.03b/DS3615, you may be able to install DSM 6.2 but as soon as you get to 6.2.1 via initial install or upgrade, an Intel NIC is required as the kernel panics on non-e1000e devices.

So you may be out of luck with that hardware, given the current state of things.  1.02b/DS3615/DSM 6.1.7 may stand a better chance to work and it's still extremely supportable.

FMI: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

I've the f4-220, and tested both the 1.03b ds3615 (DSM 6.2 update 2) and then the 1.04b ds918  (6.2.1 update 4) .

The best combo is to use the 1.03b ds3615 mainly because:

-there are many more third party packages available

-virtualbox 5.20 works (no package for apollo lake platform of the 918+)

-it's possible to use lm-sensors package to control the fan speed of our nas (otherwise it just spins upd and down constantly and in bios there's no option to control it)

...Just my two cents

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 2:52 AM, Herrnobiz said:

I've the f4-220, and tested both the 1.03b ds3615 (DSM 6.2 update 2) and then the 1.04b ds918  (6.2.1 update 4) .

-it's possible to use lm-sensors package to control the fan speed of our nas (otherwise it just spins upd and down constantly and in bios there's no option to control it)

...Just my two cents

Could you please share the bios settings that you used? I'm asking, because with 1.03b I get no IP on boot

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 3:52 AM, Herrnobiz said:

...Just my two cents

i tryed lm-sensors with 1.04b+ds918

and it seems that the problem is the kernel module it87.ko that is not present on this distro...

And without that module, sensors not find the fan to command:

image.png.c10c1ec317ddbee05df16d762792cdc0.png

with sensor-detect

image.png.242118613e23297b86b0d150e108a2a3.png

can we make it87.ko for 4.4.59+ kernel? 

So when using 1.04b and DS918+, we use DS918+ SN from the picture (from the review site) and real mac address of the NIC in the F2-220?

Also, anybody tested to see if eudean's fan control will work for the F2-220? According to here, the same monitoring chip is used between the F4-220 and F2-220.

Edited by squidbilly
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2019 at 2:53 AM, squidbilly said:

So when using 1.04b and DS918+, we use DS918+ SN from the picture (from the review site) and real mac address of the NIC in the F2-220?

Also, anybody tested to see if eudean's fan control will work for the F2-220? According to here, the same monitoring chip is used between the F4-220 and F2-220.

For me, the "old" serial works well also with 1.04b DS918+ (and also the real mac address)

For 1.03b loader you must have the vga cable to enter BIOS setup and modify boot sequence to boot from USB (the legacy one and not the UEFI one).

-

For fancontrol, I can confirm that the chip on F2-220 are the same... ITE IT8772E 

Eudean's use a different approach and use direct memory access (fancontrol is a compilated executable) to control the fan (instead lm-sensor control with fancontrol bash shell script)

So it's a little different from what I would like to do, but I think is a good start...

and like we always say: it's better than nothing! (if it works with loader 1.04b+DS918+ is exactly what we need to migrate from loader 1.03b+DS3615)

Thanks (i search many time the forum, but I didn't find that message)

Hi all,

Working on my Terramaster F4-220 today.

Could someone point me in the right direction to the correct files please. Also, is there a  serial number generator for 918+? I read that someone has it working, is the correct serial number required?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 12:51 AM, compuman said:

Eudean's use a different approach and use direct memory access (fancontrol is a compilated executable) to control the fan (instead lm-sensor control with fancontrol bash shell script)

I just wanted to mention that the it87 kernel module does the exact same memory accesses to control the fan speed, it just does them in the kernel and exposes control in sysfs rather than my script which does it from userspace and doesn't expose any control files. I think if you want to use lm-sensors you do need the kernel module, but you could write a bash script (or Python or anything else) that controls the fans doing the same writes to /dev/port, or you could call the fancontrol binary from a bash script to control the fans (by passing arguments to write a fixed PWM value).

Also the binary should almost certainly work across a wide range of versions as it doesn't use any esoteric libraries. It could also be re-compiled from source as necessary.

10 hours ago, eudean said:

I just wanted to mention that the it87 kernel module does the exact same memory accesses to control the fan speed, it just does them in the kernel and exposes control in sysfs rather than my script which does it from userspace and doesn't expose any control files. I think if you want to use lm-sensors you do need the kernel module, but you could write a bash script (or Python or anything else) that controls the fans doing the same writes to /dev/port, or you could call the fancontrol binary from a bash script to control the fans (by passing arguments to write a fixed PWM value).

Also the binary should almost certainly work across a wide range of versions as it doesn't use any esoteric libraries. It could also be re-compiled from source as necessary.

eudean,

you are perfeclty write

but what i Want to say is exaclty that:

the script is more accessible to everyone (based, of course, on a "esoteric libraries" that make the works for you)

with some help, maybe I can make what you say, or maybe I can change the source and recompile:

-what compiler you install (gcc or other), from where ? 

-what library is necessary? (the kernel library is missing on synology DSM so I don't know where to find them) 

.how to know what direct memory call do on the fan? 

when I will able to compile... 

I think that "change the source" (if necessary) and do a "make" will  not be a problem!

8 hours ago, compuman said:

with some help, maybe I can make what you say, or maybe I can change the source and recompile:

-what compiler you install (gcc or other), from where ? 

g++

-what library is necessary? (the kernel library is missing on synology DSM so I don't know where to find them) 

No libraries aside from standard C/C++ libraries. You can glance at the source to see what I include.

.how to know what direct memory call do on the fan? 

Just inspect the source, it's really straightforward. Take a look at https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IO-Port-Programming-2.html if you've never worked with IO ports. There are python libraries that expose IO port access, e.g. https://pypi.org/project/portio/, but you could also do writes to /dev/port as mentioned in the tldp page.

when I will able to compile... 

I think that "change the source" (if necessary) and do a "make" will  not be a problem!

FYI there's no Makefile as there's only one self-contained source file. You just need to do g++ fancontrol.cpp (with whatever g++ arguments you want, like -o).

Today I tested "fancontrol" code and made some modification.

1. the order of parameters is different from what write on "istructions" so it didn't work at first try... I change istructions of -h to be consistent with parameters
    <debug> <pwminit> <setpoint> <interval> <overheat> <pwmmin> <kp> <ki> <imax> <kd>
  2. I add a new parameter (second in list) that make you change the tested temperature between DISK (0) or CPU (1)  (coretemp of terramaster that I prefer) 
    So now the parameters are:
    <debug> <test_temp> <pwminit> <setpoint> <interval> <overheat> <pwmmin> <kp> <ki> <imax> <kd>

I scheduled:

/root/fancontrol 0 1 50 35 20 40 50

source

fancontrol.cpp

and executable for DSM 6.2.1

fancontrol

thanks eudean for the code

PS

I have no time to test different cicle for the fan,

but next change can be to replicate  lm-sensor fan control or not...

I add a new parameter "MAX PWM for normal use" until overheat, then jump to 255.

-So it start with pwminit

-use cicle testing setpoint temperature and set the fan  between pwmmin and pwmmax_n

-when overheat, the fan jump directly to 255... 

it look something like lm-sensor did, more or less

:D

So now the parameters are:

<debug> <test_temp> <pwminit> <setpoint> <interval> <overheat> <pwmmin> <pwmmax_n> <kp> <ki> <imax> <kd>

I scheduled at boot:

/root/fancontrol 0 1 40 35 20 42 40 160

you have to tuning the temperature for DISK or CPU...

setpoint 35° and overheat 42° for CPU, seems to work for me

(maybe have to be a little bigger, but for now i want the fan to "spin up and down" to control code, so it's ok)

source

fancontrol.cpp

and executable for DSM 6.2.1

fancontrol

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to install on to terramaster f2 221 it got it to install but it wouldn't let me set storage volume up and after removing the USB stick since I figured it installed on the my spare SSD drive it wouldn't boot any help I used the 1.04b img file is there something else I should have done other than just burning the img with win32

You have to install the boot-loader 1.04b on the internel USB stick, and you have to keep it there...

that is the "loader" that is needed in all boot sequence.

You have also to configure the boot loader before burning to usb-stick.

I don't know if you look at some guide, see this:

it is an old guide, but it have all the information you need (point 4):

Change vid=0x090C to vid=0x[your usb drive vid]

Change pid=0x1000 to pid=0x[your usb drive pid]

Change sn=C7LWN09761 to sn=generate your sn here with DS3615xs or DS 3617xs or DS916+ model (this will depend on which loader you chose)

Change mac1=0011322CA785 to mac1=[your NIC MAC address #1]. You can also add set mac2=[your NIC MAC address #2] and so on until mac4 if you have multiple NICs. However, this is not necessary.

12 hours ago, compuman said:

You have to install the boot-loader 1.04b on the internel USB stick, and you have to keep it there...

that is the "loader" that is needed in all boot sequence.

You have also to configure the boot loader before burning to usb-stick.

I don't know if you look at some guide, see this:

it is an old guide, but it have all the information you need (point 4):

Change vid=0x090C to vid=0x[your usb drive vid]

Change pid=0x1000 to pid=0x[your usb drive pid]

Change sn=C7LWN09761 to sn=generate your sn here with DS3615xs or DS 3617xs or DS916+ model (this will depend on which loader you chose)

Change mac1=0011322CA785 to mac1=[your NIC MAC address #1]. You can also add set mac2=[your NIC MAC address #2] and so on until mac4 if you have multiple NICs. However, this is not necessary.

Edited by Wolffamily13

4 minutes ago, Wolffamily13 said:

I can't for the life of me get this to go I get to the screen to install the pat file it goes to the reboot diskstation and that's it just counts down to 0

maybe you installa the LAST 6.2.2

I try DSM 6.2.2 today, and the NAS not boot anymore... 

I think this upgrade is not compatible with our hardware

:(

if you install 6.2.2 you have to DOWNGRADE to 6.2.1 

If you not installed nothing, restart INSTALL from beginning and manually select the PAT for Install DSM 6.2.1

Now I'm going to downgrade mine 

:(