XPEnology Community

MVSAS driver - 'best' extra.lzma

sbv3000

Question

Hi All

I've several AMD units running 5.2 and with Supermicro SAS boards - mvsas driver, which I know is missing from the 6.0/6.1 base images. Looking to upgrade to 6.0.2 if possible.

I've seen that @IG88 and others have created extra.lzma with this driver added, but looking through the threads on this I am not sure which is the current/best extra.lzma version

Can someone point me to a download link to that version please and also if any one is using that driver how stable it seems

Thanks in advance all

10 answers to this question

There is no 'best' extra.lzma ramdisk version per say. It simply has to be a ramdisk with modules that have been compiled for the kernel version used in the DSM you are using. The custom extra.zma ramdisk I posted in the tutorial is for DSM 6.0.2. @IG-88 has compiled modules for 6.0.2/6.1 if not mistaken. This said, Synology has recently released the source code for 6.1.3 and @IG-88 seems to be willing to recompile some modules. See here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7187-how-to-build-and-inject-missing-drivers-in-jun-loader-102a/?do=findComment&comment=76167

6 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

There is no 'best' extra.lzma ramdisk version per say. It simply has to be a ramdisk with modules that have been compiled for the kernel version used in the DSM you are using. The custom extra.zma ramdisk I posted in the tutorial is for DSM 6.0.2. @IG-88 has compiled modules for 6.0.2/6.1 if not mistaken. This said, Synology has recently released the source code for 6.1.3 and @IG-88 seems to be willing to recompile some modules. See here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7187-how-to-build-and-inject-missing-drivers-in-jun-loader-102a/?do=findComment&comment=76167

Hi @Polanskiman

Thanks for the comment. I've downloaded those other extra files and am trying them. Not too much luck at the moment, when I swap the file to 'your' version' for 6.0.2 (which is what I need) the box does not appear on the lan (using an intel card for best compatibility), so doing some more research :smile:

9 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

Hi @Polanskiman

Thanks for the comment. I've downloaded those other extra files and am trying them. Not too much luck at the moment, when I swap the file to 'your' version' for 6.0.2 (which is what I need) the box does not appear on the lan (using an intel card for best compatibility), so doing some more research :smile:

Yes I am considering pulling that extra.lzma offline. Many people seem to have problems with it but the problem is that NO ONE has ever given me boot loogs to know what the problem is. If you can hook up a serial cable and look into consol what is going on I could perhaps check what the problem is with that custom ramdisk. Thanks

4 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

Hi @Polanskiman

if you network works with the default 6.0.2 extra.lzma and only the storage is missing there is another option, just unpack the extra.lzma manualy and put the mvsas.ko from there to /lib/modules/ and try to load it manualy with insmod, if that does work you can make it permanent by writeing the mvsas into the rc.modules

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

if you network works with the default 6.0.2 extra.lzma and only the storage is missing there is another option, just unpack the extra.lzma manualy and put the mvsas.ko from there to /lib/modules/ and try to load it manualy with insmod, if that does work you can make it permanent by writeing the mvsas into the rc.modules

Thanks Polanskiman - I was going that route but your advice confirmed it and its worked :smile: - Last time I was manually loading modules into a system was Novell so it brings back memories :smile:

On 9/1/2017 at 11:51 PM, sbv3000 said:

Also now I have a workaround I'll setup a serial connection and see if I can find some log information with the 'alternative' extra. If you let me know some good commands to run to help debugging then that would be good

There is no command to run. The only thing you need to do is to hook up the serial/usb cable from your NAS to you computer. The cable I am linking here is the one I use but there are cheaper ones and with a longer cable. In my case due to the shortness of the cable I need to use an extension which needs to be a serial NULL extension cable. A straight through serial extension cable will not work. Read the difference here.

Anyways, all logs will display in the terminal (you can download some free ones or use a unix terminal - Search google) on your computer once the NAS boots up. Terminal needs to be configured to 115200 bits per second (see first line of grub.cfg file). Copy paste those logs in pastebin and send me the link. That's it.