XPEnology Community

Will this build natively run Xpenology?

NoviceNAS

Doesn't the mobo have a built in graphics card?

Why purchase another? More expense - and more power utilization..

If I build another, it won't be mini ATX.. Too limited for expansion.. You can either add NICs OR storage, but not both.. Bit of a nightmare if you're using it as an iSCSI endpoint for ESXi..

Micro-ATX maybe but not mini..

I picked up a Dell 9010 optiplex tower for £70 on Ebay a few weeks back (i3 CPU).

It works perfectly with DSM 6.1.3 so I'm transferring all my VMWare (and work) stuff to it and leaving my Media on my old box. Job done!  :smile:.

Cheers, I wasn't sure if the embedded GFx would work with that processor, hence the extra card.

Main thing is if people on here are comfy that the motherboard will work out of the box then I'm happy. I'm going to try the suggestion in my other thread around resetting my Highpoint SATA controller BIOS in another PC, but if that doesn't work then I think I'll just move to a new build.

Out of interest, why the N300 over the WD Reds? Most of the research I've done to date has been arguments of Reds vs Ironwolf drives, not even mentioning the N300 (not arguing, I'm here for the advice, just curious!).

Cheers.

Revising my build based on current market prices etc...

Fractal Design Define R4 (8 bays + 2x 5.25)

GA-B250M-DS3H (Assuming this is supported??)

8Gb DDR4

Pentium G4560

Reckon that's closer to the mark? Now to find out how I can port my drives over to the new system (2 pairs of Synology Hybrid Raid mirrors)...

Should do.. It's the CPU that has it embedded and the mobo has a DVI port (and maybe HDMI too)...

Not 100% sure it'll work but it looks like it has Intel NICs, so that's a good start..

I'd make sure you have enough PCIE slots to do you; as the mini-atx only have one..

WD-Red for me; every day of the week and three times on Sundays...  :smile:

Cheers

Just now, Hostilian said:

Should do.. It's the CPU that has it embedded and the mobo has a DVI port (and maybe HDMI too)...

Not 100% sure it'll work but it looks like it has Intel NICs, so that's a good start..

I'd make sure you have enough PCIE slots to do you; as the mini-atx only have one..

WD-Red for me; every day of the week and three times on Sundays...  :smile:

Cheers

Any proven setups you know of that will definitely work? Thanks :smile:

With DSM6.x I've an Asus H87i-plus board (works fine). It's 4th gen i3.. Not sure on new setups.

Also tested Dell Optiplex 745 (test box) and Optiplex 9010 (work NAS, 3rd gen i3). Both work perfectly.

GA-B250M-DS3H ? Sorry, not a Gigabyte fan..

Only Asus (or maybe MSI or Asrock if desperate) for me..  :smile: