XPEnology Community

I am running DS3615xs DSM 6.1.3-15152,using Jun's Mod v1.02b everything was working perfectly and I had a power outage (and no ups) on reboot once power was restored my HP Microserver would not boot back in to synology.  However if I use the reinstall, it see the diskstation in a migratable state and everything comes back and is fine, until I reboot then I have to use the reinstall method again.

Am I doing something wrong?   

puzzling :smile:

have you tried a clean install on a spare drive and see what happens with a reboot? might help work out if its hardware or your dsm install. another thing to check might be the smart status of your drives, one might be dodgy causing system partition errors

Hi

see this post :

Workaround for BIOS Reset for HP Microserver Gen8

- Press F9 at boot to enter BIOS
- Make your settings as desired (e.g. disable network boot and set the RAID-Controller into AHCI-Mode)
- Choose "System Default Options" - "User Default Options" - "Save User Defaults" => this makes the actual settings to the new default settings.

The Server starts instantly new and the new "Default Settings" are surviving the CMOS corruption forced by Xpenology at the shutdown or restart-process.
The Date is of course false and set to 06.06.14 but this can be managed easily within Xpenology where you can set a NTP-Server as clock-source. Then the date will be corrected after the boot.

I write this for all users as this bug costs me about 2 days...

https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/8660-how-to-prevent-bios-rbsu-reset-to-default/

BR

Michael

• Like 1

Update

it was an AMD processor even though it was reporting to be an Intel i3 in the system info.  After messing around last night I got to a point where the system was always in a recover state on every reboot.  I did however still have a USB with a nanoboot version of DSM 5 so I have done a clean install and at present I am on  DSM 4.4493

Am I right in thinking that I can get back to DSM 6.01 and be stable?  can anyone offer any suggestions before I make my next move.

3 hours ago, edie209 said:

Update

it was an AMD processor even though it was reporting to be an Intel i3 in the system info.  After messing around last night I got to a point where the system was always in a recover state on every reboot.  I did however still have a USB with a nanoboot version of DSM 5 so I have done a clean install and at present I am on  DSM 4.4493

Am I right in thinking that I can get back to DSM 6.01 and be stable?  can anyone offer any suggestions before I make my next move.

You can install DSM 6.1.3 with Jun's 1.02b loader, just remember to disable C1E in the Bios & set the VID & PID of the USB stick.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update I tried the update using Jun's 1.01 loader with no success 1.02b has no AMD support from what I have read. In the end I found this loader https://mega.nz/#!PRIECYqJ!24VjNAOTozWoLlKyKrSngn1ArYT-VPd-1tvlizTDFDU  it created done by Jun but repackaged by Arcao with some extra drivers and that has worked for me.

The last issue is getting my UPS to work. 

10 hours ago, edie209 said:

Just an update I tried the update using Jun's 1.01 loader with no success 1.02b has no AMD support from what I have read. In the end I found this loader https://mega.nz/#!PRIECYqJ!24VjNAOTozWoLlKyKrSngn1ArYT-VPd-1tvlizTDFDU  it created done by Jun but repackaged by Arcao with some extra drivers and that has worked for me.

The last issue is getting my UPS to work. 

Yes, Arcao's loader is an old loader with an MBR partition table. Jun loader uses a GTP partition table. There is no more additional modules in Arcao's loader than there in Jun's loader v1.01 as Jun used the modules compiled by Arcao and Trantor for v1.01 release. Arcao's loader is not maintained and was a transition loader so I discourage its use.

There is no reason why you had a working DSM 6.1.3-15152 installed using Jun's Mod v1.02b and then after a power outage you would not be able to use that loader anymore. My guess is that the power outage corrupted some files. I usually recommend first re-burning the usb with the loader v1.02b and trying booting again.

Now since you re-installed everything and are now on DSM 4.4493 you need to know that you should not upgrade directly to 6.x. You should first upgrade to 5.2 with XPEnoboot and then to 6.1.3 with Jun's loader 1.02b. The easiest way though instead of wasting time with upgrading versions would be to do a clean install of 6.1.3 with v1.02b.

As for jun's loader 1.02b having no AMD support that is partially correct. Officially yes but some have been able to make it work by disabling the C1E function in BIOS on N54L machines.

• 1 month later...

Did you try all above advice? I am surprised it's not working for you considering that everyone else on a N54L have DSM 6.1.3 running.

As a side note, It's always best to do fresh installs when upgrading from major DSM releases specially being on XPEnology. This prevent dragging old errors/pbs from previous installs.