XPEnology Community

Enabling SSH kills GUI

hpk

Hi there,

I tried to enable SSH (port 22) on a virtual DS3617. 

The GUI freezes and SSH is not enabled. 
The vm is still running, but I can't access the GUI anymore.

Any idea, how to fix it, wihtout reinstalling everything?

My installation:
Bootimage 1.02b on ESXi 6.5

DS3617xs
DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 1

syno.JPG

Edited by hpk

does the vm anser to ping, mabe the whole network of the vm is dead? might be more/deeper then just web gui?

crytalball gazing can be fun but using the log of the vm might be more productive ;-)

so, if its still running after the web gui is dead there might by something useful

Hi IG-88,

no, the network is okay and the DS3617 VM is still running.

On the 3617xs I have the Logitech Media Server and the SFTP server running.
I can still connect to both ... All Logitech players are still working and I can up- and download from the VM.

The connection to the GUI does not work and of course, SSH doesn't work as it was not enabled before the GUI froze.

14 minutes ago, hpk said:

Hi IG-88,

no, the network is okay and the DS3617 VM is still running.

On the 3617xs I have the Logitech Media Server and the SFTP server running.
I can still connect to both ... All Logitech players are still working and I can up- and download from the VM.

The connection to the GUI does not work and of course, SSH doesn't work as it was not enabled before the GUI froze.

the log: you can boot from a live linux and acces the partitions to read the log

same as here

you can try activating telnet insted for testing

you can try enable ssh with a different port

Edited by IG-88

I thought on that as well, but it isn't a baremetall installation, it's an ESXi virtual machine.
Maybe I find a way, to open or mount a .vmdk (VMware Disc File) and change the ssh settings.
Need to read a bit. 

Installed a second vm and retried to reproduce ... but on this machine it works.

But the reason for enabling SSH was to to backup the /volume1/@appstore/SqueezeCenter/prefs directory of the Logitech Media Server.
There all presets are stored ... I hope, I find a way to read that directory, then I could reinstall everything and restore the settings. 

This morning I rebooted the vm (by a shutdown and restart on the ESXi GUI) and it did not come up properly.
I could not access it in any way, therefore I needed to set it up again ...
This time, I first enabled SSH before any other config, and now, I have the access through SSH.

Unfortunately, I need the Logitech Media Server users to setup their clients again, as all settings are lost.

But then, I should be able to backup the server.prefs file with all the settings ...