XPEnology Community

How to clean install the latest loader v1.02b for DSM 6.1 on AMD machines through VNMWare Workstation

Elpee

To prevent my AMD Nas keeps running on obsoleted DSM 6.0 forever, I formatted all HDDs, installed Windows 10 and VMWare Workstation 12 Pro on my AMD Nas to install new DSM 6.1.

I had downloaded the .ISO format from here (managed by Polanskiman) , but unfortunately it can't boot in new VM. I've done it before when I installed DSM 5.2. All I did in the past was add bios.bootOrder = “cdrom” at the second line of .vmx file. That's it. But this time, it didn't work anymore.

Does anyone know how to ,or where can i find the guide for the new loader V1.0.2b on VMWare Workstation?

Thank you.

I appreciate your prompt replies.

Maybe take a look at the post on deploying on ESXi, I think you can deploy templates on Workstation in a similar way

Some things to check though :smile:

It was my understanding that the cpu of a hosted machine is the same as the hypervisor  (unlike the NIC and disk controllers that are software emulated) so if create a virtual machine xpe will still be amd processor based.

If you want to boot from cdrom then you may need to edit the iso image to include the vid/pid of the virtual cd rom drive

You could try booting with the workstations cdrom (if it has one) connected to the vm as a test - that will also show that the iso image is bootable

It may be easier to stick with 6.0.2 until there is a forum/dev bare metal amd solution - it still gets updates from Synology and the features of 6.0 and 6.1 are the same