XPEnology Community

Dell T310 Baremetal

IceBoosteR

Hello guys,

I need some help as I am stucked.

I want to use a Dell T310 as Server for DSM. I have modified it and can handle now 7 disks with an flashed RAID controller.

The problem I have, when I used juns loader 1.02b, that I cannot find the diskstation, so I do net get it to work.

I have of course entered a serial which I have generated on the xpenology site and put in the VID and PId and my network adapter.

But I cannot find the Diskstation, the bootloader worked fine so far.

I tried to use a direct connection with APIPA nd a connection to my local network - nopthing.

Maybe the network driver are not laoded?

I use 2x Broadcom NetExtreme II (1GBit). Ubuntu says this are "Broadcom Limited NetExtreme II BCM5716".

Can someone please help out here?

I have installed ESXi later to use it, but I want baremetal :smile:

Please help here. Thanks

Edited by IceBoosteR

In my experience the problem is your Broadcom cards.  I could not get 6.1 to work with the Broadcom cards. I don't know if the 310 has any open slots or not, but if it does a new network card may be the easiest solution.

You can search the form for more detailed information. Just make sure the discussion pertains to 6.1 as 6.0 will work with more cards than 6.1 in my experience.

Here is a link to get you started;

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

hi,

i rember that tere was someone eith a dell and the log did say soemthing about missing firmware files

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/firmware-bnx2

so i added 2 or 3 files to my extra.lzma

can you check the log (serial cable), or try my extra.lzma

Hi IG-88,

today a friend of mine was helping me out and bought me a cheap Realtek-based NIC - and it worked!

So I was able to set up the Diskstation and I was correct, the network drivers were the problem.

So I found the following log entry:

48.076893] bnx2 0000:02:00.0 eth1: Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5716 1000Base-T (C0) PCI Express found at mem da000000, IRQ 16, node addr 00:xxxxxxxx
[   48.077923] bnx2 0000:02:00.1 eth2: Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5716 1000Base-T (C0) PCI Express found at mem dc000000, IRQ 17, node addr 00:xxxxxxxxx
( I have removed the MAC here)

I have tried previously the extra.lzma provided my Polanskiman in this post:

Is you extra.lzma save to use (don't want some trouble as this should be my Backup for all my data :smile: )

Thanks a lot in advance for your effort! :smile:

Edited by IceBoosteR

8 hours ago, IceBoosteR said:

Hi IG-88,

today a friend of mine was helping me out and bought me a cheap Realtek-based NIC - and it worked!

So I was able to set up the Diskstation and I was correct, the network drivers were the problem.

So I found the following log entry:

48.076893] bnx2 0000:02:00.0 eth1: Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5716 1000Base-T (C0) PCI Express found at mem da000000, IRQ 16, node addr 00:xxxxxxxx
[   48.077923] bnx2 0000:02:00.1 eth2: Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5716 1000Base-T (C0) PCI Express found at mem dc000000, IRQ 17, node addr 00:xxxxxxxxx
( I have removed the MAC here)

I have tried previously the extra.lzma provided my Polanskiman in this post:

Is you extra.lzma save to use (don't want some trouble as this should be my Backup for all my data :smile: )

Thanks a lot in advance for your effort! :smile:

IG-88 extra ramdisk and the one I posted in the tutorial are different. IG-88's ramdisk is for v1.02a (DSM 6.1), mine is for v1.01 (DSM 6.0.2). Both DSM have different kernel versions so the modules that were compiled for them cannot be used interchangeably. It all depends what version of DSM you are using.

On 1.8.2017 at 5:46 AM, Polanskiman said:

IG-88 extra ramdisk and the one I posted in the tutorial are different. IG-88's ramdisk is for v1.02a (DSM 6.1), mine is for v1.01 (DSM 6.0.2). Both DSM have different kernel versions so the modules that were compiled for them cannot be used interchangeably. It all depends what version of DSM you are using.

Hi,

well I see. Did not thought about that. U use the latest DSM software version with the latest loader version (1.02b). Sorry that I did not announce this earlier. So both versions are not compatible with the loader I use ...

And I did not meant "bought" in my previous post, I meant "borrowed" so its only for a while.

Is there anywhere a extra.lzma for my used version available?

Best Regards

Ice

hi,

the log entrys you provided just say that the driver was loaded, no indication of an error, anything else in the log like something about a firmware, afaik the dnx2 will need firmware to work

did you try my extra.lzma (containing additional bnx2 firmware) or just the one that came with 1.02b?

without any error i dont see how to help

if you have a running system you can just copy the firmware files to you system or swap a *.ko file and try to load/unload manualy (insmod/rmmod)

Hi IG-88,

I am an idiot and did not post the error messages, which you can find below:

[   28.772288] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
[   28.781604] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
[   28.790401] init: dhcp-client (eth1) pre-start process (7252) terminated with status 255
[   28.803529] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
[   28.813547] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"

I think this hits the missing driver issue.

No I did not use your extra.lzma becasue Polanski told me it was for a different loader version.

Right now I am using the one which comes with 1.02b.

Yes - right now I have access to the system.

Where do I get the firmware files only or hte *.ko files?

The official debian site does not allow me to download those.

Thanks

IceBoosteR

On 8/5/2017 at 3:29 AM, IceBoosteR said:

Hi IG-88,

I am an idiot and did not post the error messages, which you can find below:

[   28.772288] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
[   28.781604] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
[   28.790401] init: dhcp-client (eth1) pre-start process (7252) terminated with status 255
[   28.803529] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
[   28.813547] bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"

I think this hits the missing driver issue.

No I did not use your extra.lzma becasue Polanski told me it was for a different loader version.

Right now I am using the one which comes with 1.02b.

Yes - right now I have access to the system.

Where do I get the firmware files only or hte *.ko files?

The official debian site does not allow me to download those.

Thanks

IceBoosteR

hi,

dsm 6.0.2/loader 1.01 - polanskiman's extra.lzma

dsm 6.1/loader 1.02a/b - my extra.lzma

according to your log the driver (*.ko) is loading and "only" fimrware file is missing you can copy the *.fw files of this arcive to /lib/modules/firmware/bnx2 after the next boot (or manual loading by insmod) the bnx2 driver will find the firmware after loading the driver and the nic will proably work

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-bnx2_0.36+wheezy.1_all.deb

jun took only 3 rv2p firmware files into his loader and i only added 2 mips files people ask for to my extra.lzma, next version will may contain all the fw as it looks like depending on the hardware they all might by used

(rvp2 and mips are likely chip/processors used on different version of a nic running under the same name)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IG-88 said:

hi,

according to your log the driver (*.ko) is loading and "only" fimrware file is missing you can copy the *.fw files of this arcive to /lib/modules/firmware/bnx2 after the next boot (or manual loading by insmod) the bnx2 driver will find the firmware after loading the driver and the nic will proably work

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-bnx2_0.36+wheezy.1_all.deb

jun took only 3 rv2p firmware files into his loader and i only added 2 mips files people ask for to my extra.lzma, next version will may contain all the fw as it looks like depending on the hardware they all might by used

(rvp2 and mips are likely chip/processors used on different version of a nic running under the same name)

Hi IG-88,

thanks a lot for your help here!

I will try to load the firmware drivers first - if that would not work i'll use your extra.lzma.

I'll come back to the post when I got a result.

If you could add all the fw to your lzma that would be awesome. I think that would solve some peoples problems before they occur ;)

Have a nice day

IceBoosteR

22 hours ago, IG-88 said:

hi,

Hello IG-88,

it worked!!!

I have added the drives you have provided to

/lib/firmware/bnx2

(/lib/modules/firmware/bnx2 did not exist)

and changed the drivers to "755", rebooted and BOOM - it worked.

Well I am so happy right now, you can't imagine how much.

How could I thank you? :smile:

Just a little last question:

Do I have to load the drivers everytime I upgrade the DSM version?

And I have to do this step also when a new loader is released, I am sure.

Best regards

IceBoosteR

21 minutes ago, IceBoosteR said:

Hello IG-88,

it worked!!!

I have added the drives you have provided to

/lib/firmware/bnx2

(/lib/modules/firmware/bnx2 did not exist)

and changed the drivers to "755", rebooted and BOOM - it worked.

Well I am so happy right now, you can't imagine how much.

How could I thank you? :smile:

you already did, by giving feedback and enjoying solving it

Just a little last question:

Do I have to load the drivers everytime I upgrade the DSM version?

only if its a new complete pat filel like 6.1.1, 6.1.2, 6.1.3, updates like update1 only contain additional files and are "harmless" in that case

if its part of the bootloader (like part of the extra.lzma) the its always there as long as the boatloader is used so even after a new 6.1 version the firmware will be there

And I have to do this step also when a new loader is released, I am sure.

no, atm the files are now kind of part of your dsm version (6.1.3) and not part of the bootloader if there would be a jun 1.02c and it works with the alredy installed dsm 6.1.3 you replace the bootloader and if the new one contains the bnx2 driver (until now juns loader contained it)  the firmware will still be there

(i and lots of people kind of did this by changing from 1.02a to 1.02b and keeping everythig as it was, the synology assistent only had to make a "repair" - took e few seconds - and the now loader worked with the alredy installed dsm)

but it makes much more sense to bundle the firmware with the driver so it will be part of the v3 version of my extra.lzma

(i screwed up my test vm with the chroot enviroment so i will have to reinstall and holidays starts in less the a week ... i might take 3-4 weeks before it will be done - but you alwasy can do it ba youself if you take the v2 version an repack it with the additional firmware files like i described in my howto (2. modify the "synoboot.img" ) - but no need asl long as you dont install a not yet existing version dsm 6.1.4

• Like 1