Jump to content
XPEnology Community

Run DSM 6.1.x in Parallels VM?


bossini
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

Running DSM in Parallels is nearly the same like in virtualbox.

Just select debian as host system and don't forget to edit the boot-Image with the corresponding mac address of your briged (W)LAN adapter.

 

If you need more Information just ask...

Edited by Dreadnought
addition
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

 

 

On 8/18/2017 at 11:29 AM, Dreadnought said:

Running DSM in Parallels is nearly the same like in virtualbox.

Just select debian as host system and don't forget to edit the boot-Image with the corresponding mac address of your briged (W)LAN adapter.

 

If you need more Information just ask...

 

Hi

 

Can you help me setting up XPenology on Parallels Desktop please?

 

TIA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 11/9/2020 at 2:56 PM, pippobimbo said:

 

 

 

Hi

 

Can you help me setting up XPenology on Parallels Desktop please?

 

TIA

 

Sorry for the late reply, I had some issues with Parallels under Big Sur.

 

At the moment it is possible to run DSM 6.1.x and 6.2.2 only and not the current version 6.2.3.

 

For DSM 6.1.x you can use this loader: https://mega.nz/#!XBoCzJya!Ip_nSniC2SWznA03VzOdeKwqqs8v-CbIMnUXPfB6nPo

for 6.2.2 the following https://mega.nz/#!Cd5RTCCL!VeQkSwEjTG0USuBi4qvJlsyAwRUhC9-o8Zvna5QH2aM

 

The DSM system for your system you will find here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Os/DSM

 

Copy the attached files into a new folder and rename the boot loader to synoboot.img.

Do not rename the other files.

 

Now open Parallels and click File -> Open and choose ds3615.vmx - File from the folder you created before.

Now Parallels will import the files. Now you are able to rename the VM as you like.

 

The first run will not be successful. You have to adjust some settings.

 

Network: choose Bridget network and Intel Pro/1000MT as adapter.

Disk: add a new disc and as adapter type SCSI.

Boot sequence: choose disk 1 only (synoboot.hdd)

 

You are able to customise the RAM. Choose what you want.

 

With this settings you will be able to boot and access DSM via browser: <<ip-address>>:5000

 

ds3615.ovf ds3615.vmx synoboot.vmdk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

@DreadnoughtThank you very much! I didn't have any problem to upgrade to 6.2.3-25426. I used the parallels VM to test some storage upgrade / migrate scenarios. The only thing I have right now is that the VM complaints about an access error for disk1 which holds the synoboot.hdd 

Any idea how to fix this? ... I think I'm the Noob haha this is the reason why you can't go further than 6.2.2, 6.2.3 makes the SATA boot visible. 

 

Screenshot 2021-07-04 at 02.01.26.png

Screenshot 2021-07-04 at 02.01.54.png

Screenshot 2021-07-04 at 02.02.27.png

Edited by hannibal1969
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @hannibal1969,

this is the reason why I mentioned not to go to version 6.2.3. 

I got the same errors too.

 

I will try some combinations to fix this and keep you updated, but I hope for a new loader to play with DSM 7.

UPDATE: I tried all combinations regarding the adapter type I could imagine with no success. So I will wait for a new loader.

 

On 7/4/2021 at 1:42 AM, hannibal1969 said:

@DreadnoughtThank you very much! I didn't have any problem to upgrade to 6.2.3-25426. I used the parallels VM to test some storage upgrade / migrate scenarios. The only thing I have right now is that the VM complaints about an access error for disk1 which holds the synoboot.hdd 

Any idea how to fix this? ... I think I'm the Noob haha this is the reason why you can't go further than 6.2.2, 6.2.3 makes the SATA boot visible. 

 

Screenshot 2021-07-04 at 02.01.26.png

Screenshot 2021-07-04 at 02.01.54.png

Screenshot 2021-07-04 at 02.02.27.png

 

Edited by Dreadnought
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...