XPEnology Community

Serial number / MAC address on a Thecus Nas!

synogeek

I managed to get a used (awesome!) Thecus NAS N2520 with xpenology!!

I did not see any removable USB stick so wonder how it was installed? unfortunately I got it from a place, where i dont know who or how they did this.

I want to fix an issue, somehow it has a generic serial / mac and I need to see where this file is, mostly for updating to the  correct MAC address.Its causing issue on DHCP, its picking up a random IP each time upon boot.

Where is the IMG or Serial / Mac INFO stored for such an embedded system? I assume its DSM is on a embedded Storage like embedded RAM.

Thanks!

DSM is most certainly not on a chip but on a hard drive. However the loader was probably flashed onto a ram chip just like Synology boxes. I think the only way to change the serial number or MAC address on that machine would be to re-flash the chip. Is it using Jun's loader? Any indication of it? 

I don't know what loader it using, how can i check?

I can find it on synology assistant even without "any hard disk"...so yes something is on a CHIP inside i didnt open unit its very pretty white unit..i wish we had something like this for synology and these are from 2013 and guess what has Intel 1 GHZ CPU and 1 GB ram, so fast but am afraid any patching will break whatever is on it.and since its no a small USB i can remove and reflash Im afraid of brick the embedded CHIP.

Thanks!

I recall a thread from a member about installing on Thecus and he was having problems with onboard sata and drive numbers etc, but I think he got it to work by removing the dom and just booting from usb by setting the bios as well as disabling the onboard sata and just using the add in controller card. This was with 5.2 loader His thread may not have been migrated with the platform upgrade to the forum, but have a search

59 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

I recall a thread from a member about installing on Thecus and he was having problems with onboard sata and drive numbers etc, but I think he got it to work by removing the dom and just booting from usb by setting the bios as well as disabling the onboard sata and just using the add in controller card. This was with 5.2 loader His thread may not have been migrated with the platform upgrade to the forum, but have a search

Normally everything was migrated with the forum upgrade to my knowledge. The only one that was not migrated was the DSM 5.2 legacy topic that I deleted accidentally prior the upgrade and that we have been trying unsuccessfully to recover from an old database since.

I am not sure what topic you are referring to but if it was on the old forum it should be here. I found several topics on the subject. Here are two:
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7281-xpenology-on-thecus-7700

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6599-how-to-run-dsm-on-thecus-n5810

6 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

So you can access DSM GUI without any hard drive being present? 

No I dont think DSM access without hard dirive that would be amazing lol.

What I think ( am outside now cant verify), is I can see the Synology Assistant but it wants HDD present to first install the software I believe.Also, it is in fact DSM 5, i will verify later today 5.2 or 5.1

I have yet to test all USB ports, but they seem to working fine i only tested the front one.dang this thing runs blazingly fast, thecus are good at NAS hardware but CRAP OS, thecus OS sucks big time.

@sbv3000 the Thecus you talk bout (DOM - Disk on Module), is on those models that have the DOM as a removable chip, kinda like the USB pen drive.However I believe mine ( i did some basic search online on the board layout of this model N2520) is actually kind of like SOC (system on CHIP) its soldered and I dont think if I mess up the boot loader I can fix it.Although ON synology forums I read (on original Synology units) there is a way (low level) to recover / repair the U-Boot loader.I am wondering if I can do something similar (in case something goes wrong) i Do not wanna brick a powerful Thecus NAS with xpenology working so well.

If you need s/n only to fix problem with random IP then its easier way to do this. Just setup static IP under DSM. If your server works then better dont try to mess with loader that someone else "burned" into it, like you said, you dont even know how server is prepared to work with synology. Only issue you have atm is that you cant migrate to dsm 6.x, and you have to turn off auto update options.

5 hours ago, chege said:

If you need s/n only to fix problem with random IP then its easier way to do this. Just setup static IP under DSM. If your server works then better dont try to mess with loader that someone else "burned" into it, like you said, you dont even know how server is prepared to work with synology. Only issue you have atm is that you cant migrate to dsm 6.x, and you have to turn off auto update options.

Whatever boot loader it has its changing the MAC each time on boot! i need to find out how / why.

Anyone has ANY ideas how to change serial number by logging into SSH? any specific directory to get into? I am familiar with linux.

Thanks!