XPEnology Community

APC UPS not recognized after update to 6.0.2

peterk

Hi everyone,

I've successfully upgraded my baremetal home built NAS from 5.2.5644 update 8 to 6.0.2 update 11 yesterday. The upgrade went fine, no issues seemingly, DSM kept my configuration, my volumes were recognized, everything seemed fine. However, the new 6.0.2 fails to recognize my APC ES500 UPS. It was working fine under 5.2.5644. Unfortunately i didn't save lsusb, lsmod output before upgrading, so I cannot provide these information. However, I have made a dd image of the old v5.2 root partition, so I can still check/compare everything which was a file on the old system.

Looking at the old 5.2.5644 logs, in /var/log/messages the entries from the last v5.2 bootup before upgrade had these:

Jul 25 00:35:29 FileStation udev: [UPS] add USB UPS(PRODUCT=51d/2/106)
Jul 25 00:35:30 FileStation usbhid-ups[18079]: Startup successful
Jul 25 00:35:30 FileStation root: The UPS is connected. driver=[]
Jul 25 00:35:31 FileStation upsd[18450]: Startup successful
Jul 25 00:35:31 FileStation upsd[18450]: upsd.c:741 IP [127.0.0.1] add to ACL list
Jul 25 00:35:31 FileStation upsd[18450]: upsd.c:745 IP [::1] add to ACL list
Jul 25 00:35:32 FileStation upsmon[18867]: Startup successful

Jul 25 00:35:33 FileStation upsmon[20431]: UPS [ups@localhost] connected

So, my UPS was recognized and working before the update. After upgrading, no udev entry, no usbhid-ups entry found. Nothing.

$ lsusb

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID f400:f400
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

So, nothing here, the UPS doesn't show up. (Note: device f400:f400 is my boot loader USB stick).

So the problem is not nut / upsd related, the UPS does not even appear as a device. I have a ubuntu desktop installed on my laptop, I've plugged the UPS, and the UPS was recognized by ubuntu, lsusb output was:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion Uninterruptible Power Supply

I plugged a external usb HDD on the NAS to check if USB working at all, and yes, the HDD was recognized and mounted by DSM 6.0.2, so USB ports working ... except recognizing the UPS.

checking kernel modules:

$ lsmod | grep usbcore

usbcore               174439  18 catc,etxhci_hcd,r8152,usblp,uhci_hcd,rtl8150,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,ehci_pci,kaweth,isp116x_hcd,usbhid,pegasus,isp1362_hcd,xhci_hcd,isp1760

Looks like usbhid loaded and working. Oh, my NAS is built around a Asrock AMD E350M1 motherboard, so it's a AMD rig. I have upgraded to 6,0,2 following Polanskiman's tutorial, using Jun's v1.01 loader (replaced extra.lzma with Polanskiman's version), selecting baremetal AMD from grub boot menu.  Everything seem working perfectly fine except my UPS...

I have no clue how to proceed from here. I would like to have my UPS recognized, it was working under 5.2 after all. What should I check next to make this work?

(p.s.: It was long ago, so not much details, but I remember that cca. a year ago I upgraded DSM from 5.2.5644 to 5.2.5967, and I had the same issue, the UPS was't recognized. I reverted back to 5644 back then. So this might not be a 5.2 to 6.0 problem, but maybe something else? Like an old 5644 setting/configuration entry kept on the new system which interfering?)

Edited by peterk

The issue is the ohci-hcd module not being present in v1.01. You could bypass that using a usb 2 hub or going for loader v1.02b which contains the module. Others have the same issue. Search the forum and read below:

This version of loader (and synology's version) does not have driver for ohci usb controller, a host controller for usb 1.x.

Why it is not included in the loader?

Because I did not notice it was not included.

Why not for synology?

My understanding is that, Intel invent UHCI for usb 1.x, so normally, intel chipsets will never have OHCI controllers,

nowdays even UHCI's are uncommon, lots of usb 2.x/3.x controller seems include builtin hubs to do the translation for usb 1.x devices.

In your use case, the external hub simply acts as a usb 1.x to usb 2.x translator, that is a viable workaround for the moment.

I will make sure this driver is availble when next release is out, developers can also compile ohci-hcd yourself.

The issue is the ohci-hcd module not being present in v1.01. You could bypass that using a usb 2 hub or going for loader v1.02b which contains the module. Others have the same issue. Search the forum and read below:

Thank you, now I understand why.

I have resolved the issue by upgrading to v1.02b / DSM 6.1.3.

(I'd mark this topic [sOLVED], but can't find where to edit the title...)