XPEnology Community

ignore my comment in your other post :smile:

I have some versions of 5.1 and 5.2 in dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n4oudpqdnb7qyrq/AADXcgWgVlTMzuKL7YhVUZJZa?dl=0

Its a while since I used these images so test carefully on your hardware before use!!!

Backup all your data and config before upgrading!!!

I would download the required .pat files for these versions from synology first

Boot with 5.1 and 'migrate' from 3612 hardware to 3615 using the 'Install/Migrate' option in the xpe grub menu

Then boot with 5.2.5565 - install/migrate etc

You should then be able to boot/migrate through the various versions to finish on 5.2.5967

Be prepared to install/upgrade packages through each version and your raid may need repairing or dsm may run a 'checking quota' disk check - be very patient! :smile:

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your help. Do you know how to back up my config?  About my data, that is quite hard, since there are two much data in 4 piece of hard disk. That's the key reason I am very careful before I start the upgrades. Anyway, thanks for your comments, do you have any recommended article for me to follow up for update to 5.1?

On 2017/7/22 at 11:08 PM, sbv3000 said:

ignore my comment in your other post :smile:

I have some versions of 5.1 and 5.2 in dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n4oudpqdnb7qyrq/AADXcgWgVlTMzuKL7YhVUZJZa?dl=0

Its a while since I used these images so test carefully on your hardware before use!!!

Backup all your data and config before upgrading!!!

I would download the required .pat files for these versions from synology first

Boot with 5.1 and 'migrate' from 3612 hardware to 3615 using the 'Install/Migrate' option in the xpe grub menu

Then boot with 5.2.5565 - install/migrate etc

You should then be able to boot/migrate through the various versions to finish on 5.2.5967

Be prepared to install/upgrade packages through each version and your raid may need repairing or dsm may run a 'checking quota' disk check - be very patient! :smile:

I have downloaded the file in your dropbox, not sure which one I should use. 

截图02.png

First thing is backup your data before you 'play'! :smile:

Connect a keyboard and monitor to your system

Follow Polanskimans 5.2>6.0 tutorial section on how to create a bootable USB with Winimage - that will apply for any of the .IMG files you downloaded

Make your boot loader using 5.1-5022.3 img file and have the DSM 5.1-5022  .PAT file from Synology ready.

Boot with the new loader and choose 'install/migrate' from the grub menu

Once you see the 'Diskstation' prompt on the monitor, open Synology Assistant to find your nas, which should show up as 'Migratable'

Open the nas webpage and follow the 'migration' option, you should probably choose 'keep my files and settings'

Once DSM is installed and the nas reboots, login and and check your volumes, packages, settings etc.

If everything is ok then repeat the process with the 5.2 images until you are using 5.2-5967

It might be possible to migrate direct from 5.1-5022 to 5.2-5967 but I have not tried that - my upgrades were through the various versions. 

There are several risks in upgrading where you could lose data,  hardware incompatibility, missing drivers, drive failures.

From looking at your Volumes you seem to have 3 JBOD setup, this is a risk too, because you have no redundancy if a disk fails.

You could buy a couple of 4 TB sata drives and a usb/sata adapter and back up to them

Then test your hardware with a spare hdd and xpe 5.1 loader to make sure the network/sata controllers work, then go through the other upgrades

When you have completed your upgrade you could swap the 4 TB drives with the smaller ones and create a 4*4TB SHR1 :smile:

21 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

There are several risks in upgrading where you could lose data,  hardware incompatibility, missing drivers, drive failures.

From looking at your Volumes you seem to have 3 JBOD setup, this is a risk too, because you have no redundancy if a disk fails.

You could buy a couple of 4 TB sata drives and a usb/sata adapter and back up to them

Then test your hardware with a spare hdd and xpe 5.1 loader to make sure the network/sata controllers work, then go through the other upgrades

When you have completed your upgrade you could swap the 4 TB drives with the smaller ones and create a 4*4TB SHR1 :smile:

I already have 2 piece of 4T, 1 piece of 2T, and 1 piece of 500G drivers, I really don't want to buy couple of another 4T disks. Is there any easy way like doing a picture or screening all my data?

Maybe you could look at an on-line storage service and 'rent' some space to make a backup for example Amazon Drive is 'unlimited' and free for 30 days :smile:, That could take a long time depending on your internet connection. you could burn your critical data to dvds, but it might be cheaper/quicker to buy another hdd :smile: if you have any other IT equipment, build another nas, or maybe ask a friend to lend you something.

if you are running JBODs then your data is at risk anyway and you need some sort of solution, Amazon backup is part of DSM 6x so you could use that in the future.