XPEnology Community

Two controllers on my mainboard... how to upgrade?

maxime

Hi! I've an XPEnology based on DSM 5.2 running perfectly on my hardware:

Mainboard Asrock H81M-HDS
CPU Celeron G1840 2,80GHz
Ram 4Gb DDR3
Storage 4HD 3Tb

The H81M-HDS has four sata port, but two disk controllers. This is how it is configured on DSM 5.2:

1.png

2.png

3.png

Now I'm trying to upgrade to DSM 6.02 (Jun's bootloader v 1.01), but I think that only the first controller is detected.

Disk_Station.png

How can I modify grub.cfg file to detect all 4 disks? Thanks for support!

check Polanskiman's tutorial and the 'sataportmap' grub setting

also I would disconnect all your drives and use a spare drive to make a test install on the each of the 4 sata connections to get the right sataportmap setting.

Also check the sata settings in bios, ide/ahci etc - everything must be ahci.

If some of the sata are set to ide your disk group/volume will be crashed after 6.0.2 so take a backup (good practice anyway)

52 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

check Polanskiman's tutorial and the 'sataportmap' grub setting

also I would disconnect all your drives and use a spare drive to make a test install on the each of the 4 sata connections to get the right sataportmap setting.

Also check the sata settings in bios, ide/ahci etc - everything must be ahci.

If some of the sata are set to ide your disk group/volume will be crashed after 6.0.2 so take a backup (good practice anyway)

In bios all ports are configured as AHCI.

4 Drives are connected from sata0 to sata3 BUT sata0 and sata1 are ports of controller1 (SATA6Gb/s),  sata2 and sata3 are ports of controller2 (SATA3Gb/s)

Drives are configured in RAID 5 and work perfectly on DSM 5.2

If I understood, I've to set this line on grub.cfg

append SataPortMap=22

Is it correct?

Edited by maxime

I would check with a spare hdd, plugged in to each sata port one by one to make a 'mapping' of the mobo ports to the ones that are working/not working on DSM5 and then repeat for dsm6.

for example your results might be

dsm5;

sata0=hdd1

sata1=hdd2

sata2=hdd5

sata3=hdd6

dsm6;

sata0=hdd1

sata1=hdd2

sata2=n/c

sata3=n/c

Once you know this you can work out the sataportmap because somehow you have two 'ghost' drive connections that dsm6 thinks are there (might be a 4 port controller on the mobo but only two ports wired to connectors)

22 might work but you might also try 42 or 24 ! :smile:

If you test boot with your spare hdd and each sataport mapping you can get the 'correct' setting before you finally upgrade

you could also try the 'force install' option 

Do all your testing with a spare hdd!!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2017-07-18 at 10:41 AM, maxime said:

In bios all ports are configured as AHCI.

4 Drives are connected from sata0 to sata3 BUT sata0 and sata1 are ports of controller1 (SATA6Gb/s),  sata2 and sata3 are ports of controller2 (SATA3Gb/s)

Drives are configured in RAID 5 and work perfectly on DSM 5.2

If I understood, I've to set this line on grub.cfg

append SataPortMap=22

Is it correct?

I am having the same problem with another H61 board. Did you manage to solve it with sbv3000 suggestions?

3 hours ago, Nick said:

I am having the same problem with another H61 board. Did you manage to solve it with sbv3000 suggestions?

He never came back so we dont know

I can only suggest trying the port testing as in my July 22 post and see if you can 'trace' the ports to determine the sataportmap you might need.

Also try the 6.1 loader (disconnect your raid drives) and use a test hdd as above to work out how the ports are enumerated, sataportmap might not be needed in 6.1

On 2017-10-28 at 8:28 PM, sbv3000 said:

He never came back so we dont know

I can only suggest trying the port testing as in my July 22 post and see if you can 'trace' the ports to determine the sataportmap you might need.

Also try the 6.1 loader (disconnect your raid drives) and use a test hdd as above to work out how the ports are enumerated, sataportmap might not be needed in 6.1

Thanks, I need to get ahold of a drive I'm not using first. On the other hand, coulnd't I just try different sataportmap settings until it shows up?

2 hours ago, Nick said:

Thanks, I need to get ahold of a drive I'm not using first. On the other hand, coulnd't I just try different sataportmap settings until it shows up?

Yes of course you can go though the combinations of sataportmap, however if you have a raid it will be degraded because of the missing drives and you could lose data. Of course does not matter if you are building a new array etc.

25 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

Yes of course you can go though the combinations of sataportmap, however if you have a raid it will be degraded because of the missing drives and you could lose data. Of course does not matter if you are building a new array etc.

At the moment I haven't even created a volume yet, just installed the software. So all good for testing then?

If so, is there any other combination than 23 and 32 I should try? So far I've only tried with 21, which resulted in two of the three drives showing (those connected to the Sata3 ports).

With no volume/raid you are free to play.

I would try a 5.2 install, fire up a telnet session and dmesg the system to get some details of the sata module/drivers loaded, so we at least can cross check that the controllers are supported in 6, but also could identify the sata chipset

Then have a try of various combinations of the sataportmap, 24, 42, 222 (this last one might look weird but considering XPE/DSM5 is showing drives 3/4 unconnected, I wonder if 222 might match somehow in 6 (2 sata3 , 2 phantom, 2 sata2)

23 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

With no volume/raid you are free to play.

I would try a 5.2 install, fire up a telnet session and dmesg the system to get some details of the sata module/drivers loaded, so we at least can cross check that the controllers are supported in 6, but also could identify the sata chipset

Then have a try of various combinations of the sataportmap, 24, 42, 222 (this last one might look weird but considering XPE/DSM5 is showing drives 3/4 unconnected, I wonder if 222 might match somehow in 6 (2 sata3 , 2 phantom, 2 sata2)

I was too lazy so I just tried different portmap settings. Tried 21, 221, 23 and 32. On the last try it worked so 23 was the winning number. Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it! :)

14 hours ago, Nick said:

I was too lazy so I just tried different portmap settings. Tried 21, 221, 23 and 32. On the last try it worked so 23 was the winning number. Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it! :)

Thats great, one for the knowledge base for other members

I suspect that 24 would also work, (4th port on a hidden controller)

From interest, how do the drives numbers show up in Storage Manager vs sata ports on the board? 

5 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

Thats great, one for the knowledge base for other members

I suspect that 24 would also work, (4th port on a hidden controller)

From interest, how do the drives numbers show up in Storage Manager vs sata ports on the board? 

I suppose you are right, in the Storage Manager overview it says that slots 1,2 and 5 are occupied. On the board it would be 1,2 and 3 (out of a total number of 4 connectors)

30 minutes ago, Nick said:

I suppose you are right, in the Storage Manager overview it says that slots 1,2 and 5 are occupied. On the board it would be 1,2 and 3 (out of a total number of 4 connectors)

That makes sense

I suspect that if you swapped drive 5 to the 4th (spare) sata port it would probably disappear from the config, so sataportconfig=24 would be needed if you expanded to 4 drives later

I also suspect that the 'second' controller has 4 sata ports on the chip, two not connected on the board. 

• 2 years later...