XPEnology Community

Eject after backup - How to remount?

Schmill

I have my server setup to perform weekly backups to an external USB drive; this all works fine.

With the recent CryptoLocker-like issues I figured it is probably not a great idea to leave my external USB backup mounted all the time, so in the "Backup & Replication" job settings I have set the "Remove destination external device when backup task has successfully finished", and that too works well for me.

However, I am then left in the situtation where in order to make the server 'see' the drive again I have to physically disconnect the usb and reconnect it, or (as I am commonly remote from the server) reboot the server so that it finds the usb drive again.

What I really want is to be able to do something (either manually or scripted) that will allow me to re-mount the device prior to the backup.

Does anyone know how to get Synology to un-eject an external USB device?

Thanks!

Edited by Schmill

If you want to prevent USB drive to become infected via share from the infected workstation, you can remove permissions from usbshareX and hide it from being visible on the network. NAS itself even if it stored virus is not likely to become infected.

Removing after backup option is meant to prevent overwriting drive with subsequent backups and assume manual interaction.

Scheduled script with command like "mount  device /usbshareX"  will also work , but not necessary.

Edited by XPEH

Ok, I already have the usbshares hidden from the network, and permissions removed so that only the XPEnology box itself can write to the drives, but I was concerned that my box could get infected with CryptoLocker-like ransomware, and then it would also corrupt my backups (if they were still mounted), is that not the case?

I have tried the "mount" command (although not quite as you typed it) but get an error about the device not being in fstab:

mount /volumeUSB1
mount: can't find /volumeUSB1 in /etc/fstab

If device is not in fstab because its removable device, you need to specify what device to mount and the mount point.

You don't need to do any of that as this wave of Crypto viruses are windows executable and will not run on Linux based NAS. If potentially infected Windows based computer doesn't have access to the share, it will not be able to encrypt the contents. Use multi-version backup to USB though. If NAS files get encrypted and backup overwrite files on USB drive, you will not have a previous (good)version of files  to restore. Good idea also to have multiple external drives and regularly rotate them.

13 hours ago, XPEH said:

You don't need to do any of that as this wave of Crypto viruses are windows executable and will not run on Linux based NAS. If potentially infected Windows based computer doesn't have access to the share, it will not be able to encrypt the contents.

Are you sure that is the case?

I thought the whole worry of Synolocker was the fact that it infected and ran on the DSM directly, so would have access to everything that the NAS had access to.

Synolocker yes! Infected and runs directly on the NAS, but it was fixed long time ago. It affected older DSM version 4.x. I hope you don't use that old DSM version unpatched.

I was referring to the newer Windows based waves of Ransomware.

• 2 years later...

It seems more and more that attacks are targetting home / small-office NAS setups.

In light of this (and https://www.synology.com/de-de/security/advisory/Synology_SA_19_37 ) , has there been any movement on this?

I like being able to eject my backup media after the backup completes, but would also like to be able to re-insert (?) it just before the next backup is due to start.