XPEnology Community

HP Microserver Gen8 G1610T which version of XPEnology should I use?

psionguy

Question

I have just ordered a HP Microserver Gen8 G1610T and would like to install XPEnoligy on it. Would appreciate if someone could point me to a link on how to do this. Other areas I am not sure about:-

1 Do I need to do a bios or firmware update on the gen8 before I start.

2 Which is the best version to use, Not worried about the data on my current server which is a n40l running an earlier version of XPEnoligy, happy to start from scratch.

3 Can I boot from a micro card or USB, or would it be best to use an ssd?

Appreciate any advise or guidence.

8 answers to this question

very easy to use a usb to boot from

Probably best to use the latest Syno release 6.1+ to install

DEf do your bios firmware updatye before loading anything else on your box

Even tho I would check that the bios update does something you need /desire otherwise leave alls well that stays well.

pointing you to a good guide to installing is xpenology is a moving target.

If you did the install to your N40l you should be ok BUT the Bios on the gen8 requires you to set your disks up first

SUmmary

update BIos if necessary

create bootable usb stick (with NanoBoot or other software on it)

insert usb stick into gen8

boot gen8 (takes afew minutes 5-10)

use find.synology.com or synology web assistant to find your new xpeno on your lan.

point installation to your PAT file (probably stored on your PC)

have some nice fresh disk installed

point installtion to your disk

after some minutes  you will have nice fresh installtion.

I am lucky in that I have an old 19in monior (+kyb) attached to the gen8 so setting the bios , following all the prompts and watching the boot progress is much easier.

My usb stick stays in the gen8 but the monitor can be safely stowed away when all is hunkydory.

You could update your CPU to i3 or xeon, also

you should be able to "import" you old n40l disks to your new installation

you could also import your configuration if you save it on the n40l. 

• Like 2

I highly recommend you start by reading the FAQs section before doing anything. Read read and read. You will find most answers there.

GEN's 8 bios file can be found on HP's website. It is always a good idea to have an up-to-date bios.

There is no specific PAT file for the GEN8. You can either use DS3615xs or DS3617xs. Both will work. Use the corresponding loader.

It should be possible to boot from a micro card but the standard approach is to use a USB key. In either case you will need the VID/PID. In the case of a micro SD card the VID/PID will be the one of the reader since a micro SD card is NOT a usb devise.

I will say it again, Read the FAQs.

[And another comment, there is no need to ask the same question in different topics. Read the Guideline and rules. Only one will be allowed to remain.]

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

I highly recommend you start by reading the FAQs section before doing anything. Read read and read. You will find most answers there.

GEN's 8 bios file can be found on HP's website. It is always a good idea to have an up-to-date bios.

There is no specific PAT file for the GEN8. You can either use DS3615xs or DS3617xs. Both will work. Use the corresponding loader.

It should be possible to boot from a micro card but the standard approach is to use a USB key. In either case you will need the VID/PID. In the case of a micro SD card the VID/PID will be the one of the reader since a micro SD card is NOT a usb devise.

I will say it again, Read the FAQs.

[And another comment, there is no need to ask the same question in different topics. Read the Guideline and rules. Only one will be allowed to remain.]

Hi, and many thanks for your reply, not a total novice, already running XPEnology on an earlier HP microserver which I installed sometime ago. I think that I have been reading too much on this issue as I was convinced there had been a dedicated pat file developed for the Gen8, hence I was definitely heading in the wrong direction with this project. Appreciate the information you have given.  Have already updated the bios on the HP site so there is a tick against that, just need to locate those 2 important files.

Thanks 

13 hours ago, psionguy said:

Hi, and many thanks for your reply, not a total novice, already running XPEnology on an earlier HP microserver which I installed sometime ago. I think that I have been reading too much on this issue as I was convinced there had been a dedicated pat file developed for the Gen8, hence I was definitely heading in the wrong direction with this project. Appreciate the information you have given.  Have already updated the bios on the HP site so there is a tick against that, just need to locate those 2 important files.

Thanks 

It is all in the FAQs. Loaders, download links, tutorials, common errors, recommendation etc. Follow those and you shall succeed. Use the tutorials I made. They are very detailed.