XPEnology Community

Dsm internal hd compatibility with Xpenology??

SuperStarVish

Question

Hey this is Vish and noob to Xpenology, i was planning to buy new ds 216 until i found out about Xpenology !

i Was using ds 212j with 2tb +1tb Hdd no raid, all merged (backed up my v important data thru extarnal 1tb hd), unfortunately its  motherboard crashed ! 

NOW is there a way where in i can use my existing dsm hdd (2+1tb HDD) in expenology like plug and play or little work around rather than starting off with a scratch like backing up all my data in other drive and then again tranferring it back which will be heck of a process !

I have another spare internal drive 500gb wherein i can set up xpenology and then attaching the existing internal drives (which i was using in ds212j, 2+1 TB )

Is it all possible ?

if not what would be the best and easiest possible way out to use my internal drives in xpenology  ?

As you all must be knowing that windows/mac doesnt recognise the file system of dsm which makes all my data very difficult to access.

Pls help me out, thanks.

9 answers to this question

create a test build using your new mobo/hardware and the 500gb drive to make sure everything is compatible and works and your boot loader settings are valid.

if thats all good then you should be able to connect your two 2tb drives in the same order they were in the 212j (ie disk 1 on sata port 1) boot and 'migrate'

I would recommend booting with the same version of XPE/DSM as the real box was using, then upgrade/update as necessary

create a test build using your new mobo/hardware and the 500gb drive to make sure everything is compatible and works and your boot loader settings are valid.
if thats all good then you should be able to connect your two 2tb drives in the same order they were in the 212j (ie disk 1 on sata port 1) boot and 'migrate'
I would recommend booting with the same version of XPE/DSM as the real box was using, then upgrade/update as necessary

Thanks guys, ohk, so first i have to do a set up and then see if it works or not? Actually i was thinking the other way around, i havent set up anything regarding xpenology.
Currently i have 2 options: either buy new ds216 and connect my existing drives into newone or put my minds into setting up custom build nas with xpenology and make my hdds work with this custom nas.
So i thgt it ll be much easier to decide if i know that my exiating drives will work with xpenology.
I hope i made it clear, sorry if am sounding confusing, but am soo eager to clear my head and decide.
Cheers.
:/ ??

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

I guess this depends on your budget and performance requirements and risk options

You will probably be able to build a more powerful XPE box for the same price as a new 216, but if that is not essential then I would just take the low risk route and buy the 216 and swap drives > no testing, no compatibility issues.

i have been real busy all this time, but now this weekend i am planning to set everything up.

but before i start i thought to share my configurations of the unused pc i have :-

its 

Dell Optiplex 320 desktop edition:-

intel core 2 4300 @1.8 GHz

2 GB ram

32 bit

Standard Dual channel 

total 140 GB hdd

will these config work with xpenology set up ?

Ii would try a test build/install of the available xpe versions (5.2/6.0/6.1) as I outlined earlier in this post.

Once you know the Dell works with all of them then I would transfer your hdds and boot using the same xpe version loader as your Synology is running and migrate. Once you have checked that everything works after the migration then upgrade to 6.0/6.1, which ever works best

Hey there !
nothing worked and finally i have new ds 216+II,
The real problem now is i dont remember the order of the drives in my old synology, whichever sequence i put the drives, i get message of migrating frm ds212j to ds216, BUT I AM AFRAID TO LOSE ANY DATA IF I HAVE PLACED WRONG ORDER OF THE DRIVES ??
Will it really matter to put the drives in same specific order as my old nas, if yes then pls let me know of THERE is any WAY I CAN FIND THE ORDER OF THE DRIVES ?

19 hours ago, SuperStarVish said:

Hey there !
nothing worked and finally i have new ds 216+II,
The real problem now is i dont remember the order of the drives in my old synology, whichever sequence i put the drives, i get message of migrating frm ds212j to ds216, BUT I AM AFRAID TO LOSE ANY DATA IF I HAVE PLACED WRONG ORDER OF THE DRIVES ??
Will it really matter to put the drives in same specific order as my old nas, if yes then pls let me know of THERE is any WAY I CAN FIND THE ORDER OF THE DRIVES ?

If you want to have the lowest risk to your data you should back up before you swap them

Also, I would boot up the new 216 without drives and check the DSM version. Update the 212 to the same version before you swap the drives. If the 216 has an older version of DSM than the 212 then use a spare drive to update it to the matching version on the 212. I suggest this because I moved some disks from a 5.2 XPE box to a real DS411 running DSM6x and the migration failed and it bricked the DS411 firmware (flashing blue light of death). I may have been unlucky, but when it didn't happen when DSM versions were the same with another DS411.