XPEnology Community

Information required: Motherboard Mini ITX with DDR4

mehegazy

Hi All,

First of all thanks a lot for the good work, I am new here but I can see there's a lot of information posted in the forum.

I need your help in something, I just bought hardware to build my first xpenology, but by mistake the motherboard was big and won't fit in the case. I can't change the rest of the configuration as I need a small case so my only solution is to change the board.

Processor that I bought is core i5 7th generation, rams are DDR4.

So I wanted to buy a MB that is small (mini ITX) and have a supported chips out of the box. All what I can find online have one of three NICs (RTL8111H, Intel GbE or Intel I219-V) I can't see any of these NICs in the xpenology compatibility list xpenology.me/compatible . So, Can you help me by suggesting either a good motherboard or any of the mentioned NICs that can work without any issue?

Thanks a lot

I think the hardware list at the .me site is quite old and not updated often :( I've setup  XPE 5.2 and 6.1 with realtek and intel NICs you mention and these are popular embedded nics on lots of mobos so I imagine you would be ok. I think 6.0.2 did not have as many drivers included so you might need to test depending on which version of XPE you are planning to use. A good mobo might be the  ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac, has 6 intel sata ports so good for storage, not used this myself but am tempted :smile:

1 hour ago, sbv3000 said:

I think the hardware list at the .me site is quite old and not updated often :( I've setup  XPE 5.2 and 6.1 with realtek and intel NICs you mention and these are popular embedded nics on lots of mobos so I imagine you would be ok. I think 6.0.2 did not have as many drivers included so you might need to test depending on which version of XPE you are planning to use. A good mobo might be the  ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac, has 6 intel sata ports so good for storage, not used this myself but am tempted :smile:

Thanks a lot for the reply, this is giving me a lot of options to choose from. I will update the post again once I build my NAS.

Hello there,

I have installed my xpenology on GIGABYTE GA-H270N-WIFI  motherboard. The installation was a piece of cake, nothing unusual.

So, It is like what sbv3000 said, the hardware list on xpenology.me is not updated.

The Motherboard came with 2 GbE NIC and both worked fine out of the box.

Thanks a lot sbv3000 for your help.