XPEnology Community

Media Server

cmpugay

Plex is free to use\install media server, but some functions is paid

premium (paid) functions  
Automatic Photo-tagging NEW

Use automagic image and scene recognition technology to classify and find photos you are looking for in any library of any size. Rediscover memories you had forgotten and search entire libraries!

Live TV NEW

Watch Live TV directly on your device! With the addition of an antenna and a digital tuner, over-the-air HD TV is yours at no extra cost! Great for cutting the cord!

Plex DVR NEW

Record your favorite free HDTV digital broadcast channels—including local news and sports—on any device, then watch anywhere in the world! DVR recordings can be watched on any Plex-enabled device.

Mobile Sync

Sync your videos, music, and photos to your mobile device for offline enjoyment wherever you go.

Cloud Sync

Sync content from your library to supported cloud storage providers to enjoy even if your server is offline.

Audio Fingerprinting

Manage your music with song identification via audio fingerprinting, get world-class album reviews and artist bios, as well as the best cover art available.

Lyrics

See timed lyrics to your favorite songs when available.

Mood Mix

Find tracks in your collection based on mood to help you wake up, wind down, and everything in between.

Plex Mix

Kick off playback of similar tracks from your collection at any time — it’s like your own personal radio station.

Premium Music

Enjoy lyrics, automatic Plex Mix and Mood Mix playlists based on mood or similar tracks, and premium metadata matching for high quality art, album reviews, artist bios and more!

Multiple Users

Create customized, managed accounts, and make user switching fast and easy with Plex Home.

Parental Controls

Enable parental controls to keep the kids away from inappropriate content.

Trailers and Extras

Automatically see high quality movie trailers, cast interviews, and other extras for movies in your library.

Camera Upload

Wirelessly sync your phone and tablet photos and videos automatically to your Plex Media Server at home, where they remain private and secure.

Plex Pass Perks NEW

Get exclusive access to promos and discounts on partner products and experiences!

Early Access and Free Apps

Be the first to get exclusive access to new features and enjoy awesome premium ones. Also, get mobile apps without having to pay the unlock fee (iOS, Android, and Windows apps require a one-time unlock fee for full playback).

Hide  
Edited by Lordbl4

18 hours ago, cmpugay said:

Looks like Plex is a paid product.

Rakesh

Where you able to install Plex and use it? If you're smart TV is an Android based TV then you could also download the Plex app through the Google Play Store and have the best experience otherwise you'd probably have to use Plex's DLNA server functionality which less interactive but works well and does the job.

I have Plex installed on my XPEnology box as well on my Shield Tv. Works flawlessly.

18 minutes ago, Lordbl4 said:

Plex is free to use\install media server, but some functions is paid

Yes indeed, that's what I said. Personally I don't have the necessity of all those functions which are pretty much useless to me. As a media server it does a great job and is free, which, if I am not wrong was the request of the OP.

Plex is a really good media server with lots of features, but I found that it needs a lot of personalisation/setting up to organise your media and even then the renderer features of the TV may not show you what you expect. Plex does lots of fancy stuff like retrieving metadata and artwork for media, but its not always accurate and your TV might show info that dont match the content.

The syno media server is basic, but you can arrange/index different folders for media types, for example I've got 3 folders indexed as video, Films, TV, Downloads and each shows up in my renderers (TVs/PS3/Roku etc) for easy access.