XPEnology Community

Any way to disable DSM updates completely?

filippo333

Question

Hello,

I was wondering if someone knows how to fully block DSM updates? Seeing that red update badge constantly is triggering me like crazy, should be a simple as blocking the update server from the hosts file I guess? Plus this way I'm forced to apply updates manually :smile:

Fil.

22 answers to this question

Update: So I managed to successfully block DSM updates by editing the following hosts file /etc/hosts (editing /etc.defaults/hosts doesn't work!) I added the following line:

127.0.0.1 update.synology.com

The problem is the update badge remains, meaning it's still somehow talking to Synology's servers but at least it won't allow you to update via the GUI.

Capture.PNG

Edited by filippo333

22 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Untick: ?

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 6.01.36 PM.jpg

So I want to be able to stop DSM from even attempting to look for updates, just to get rid of the annoying update badge. So far blocking the host file works assuming DSM has never connected to the internet; I'm now thinking it caches whatever the latest version is.

18 hours ago, filippo333 said:

So I want to be able to stop DSM from even attempting to look for updates, just to get rid of the annoying update badge. So far blocking the host file works assuming DSM has never connected to the internet; I'm now thinking it caches whatever the latest version is.

That's not going to be possible unless editing some system files which I honestly don't recommend. DSM checking if there is an update is not a bad thing. The bad thing is letting DSM install it automatically and that's a feature you can deactivate within the GUI.

• Like 1

As an option, you might add a firewall rule, that blocks all traffic to and from update.synology.com (13.32.162.124) and global.download.synology.com (13.32.176.124).

However, if you do this, you'll not be able to update packages from the Package Center as well .... 

Let us know, if a firewall rule helped you out ... 

You can find more infos here

Edited by hpk

16 hours ago, hpk said:

As an option, you might add a firewall rule, that blocks all traffic to and from update.synology.com (13.32.162.124) and global.download.synology.com (13.32.176.124).

However, if you do this, you'll not be able to update packages from the Package Center as well .... 

Let us know, if a firewall rule helped you out ... 

You can find more infos here

Yes, but that's not a good idea security wise. Not being able to know when there is an update to DSM and to packages puts the users in a potentially unsafe position. 

You're right Polanskiman ... except, they read here regularly, then they know, when there's an update that can be installed without killing the running system  :-) 

I would not update my XPEnology system, when a new version is suggested. I'd rather read hear first, what experiences others made ... 

1 hour ago, hpk said:

except, they read here regularly, then they know, when there's an update that can be installed without killing the running system  :-) 

That is not remotely true for most users. In fact the reason why so many people come asking questions here is because they didn't come here to start with before they updated/upgraded. It's only following the screw up that they come seeing if they should have updated in the first place. I see it everyday, literally.

1 hour ago, hpk said:

I would not update my XPEnology system, when a new version is suggested. I'd rather read hear first, what experiences others made ... 

Neither do I. That is what everyone using an XPEnology box SHOULD do but that happens because one is informed that there is an update to something, usually to DSM through a badge notification.

If one decides to block those domains with the firewall one would need to solely rely on enough time having passed to think that perhaps there might be an update to something which is in my opinion also not safe. Remember Synolocker? Well XPEnology users are even more prone to be infected by viruses, worms and whatnots because of the impossibility to update DSM in an acceptable time due to the inherent limitation the loader poses.

Being notified that DSM needs to be updated is for me fundamental. Applying the actual update to DSM or packages is yet another step but at least I know that I am potentially at risk and I can take the necessary actions in a quick fashion by reducing the NAS internet access or whatever one feels is necessary.

I guess, many users of XPEnology do have a physical Synology as well, so they might know, when a new update is available.

But basically, you're right, people come here, when they screwed up something to get help ...

With my post regarding the firewall rules I just wanted to show an option to solve the thread starters problem.
Everyone should decide for himself, if it's suitable in his situation or not ...

Edited by hpk

11 minutes ago, hpk said:

I guess, many users of XPEnology do have a physical Synology as well, so they might know, when a new update is available.

But basically, you're right, people come here, when they screwed up something to get help ...

With my post regarding the firewall rules I just wanted to show an option to solve the thread starters problem.
Everyone should decide for himself, if it's suitable in his situation or not ...

No worries about the firewall rules. I was simply giving my opinion and providing a rational behind my explanation. People need to decide for their own, indeed, but from where I stand it's just frustrating to repeat the same thing 100's of times. I guess that's my cross to bear! :cool:

I'm assuming you want to remove the notification badge from the control panel, The below is supposed to reset the badge but doesn't look like it works to remove the 1. Using -a or -u and then a number increases the badge and then -r returns it back to 1.

/usr/syno/bin/synoappnotify -c SYNO.SDS.AdminCenter.Application -r @administrators

I have also tried using SYNO.SDS.AdminCenter.Update_Reset.Main as the class but same result

synoappnotify -c SYNO.SDS.AdminCenter.Update_Reset.Main -r @administrators

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brendann said:

I'm assuming you want to remove the notification badge from the control panel, The below is supposed to reset the badge but doesn't look like it works to remove the 1. Using -a or -u and then a number increases the badge and then -r returns it back to 1.

/usr/syno/bin/synoappnotify -c SYNO.SDS.AdminCenter.Application -r @administrators

I have also tried using SYNO.SDS.AdminCenter.Update_Reset.Main as the class but same result

synoappnotify -c SYNO.SDS.AdminCenter.Update_Reset.Main -r @administrators

Nice work regardless for finding that out :smile:

Just found a really easy way to totally stop the updates and remove the flag.

There is 2 files /etc/VERSION and /etc.defaults/VERSION these contain the following text

majorversion="5"
minorversion="2"
buildphase="hotfix"
buildnumber="5592"
smallfixnumber="0"
builddate="2015/06/29"
buildtime="17:28:56"

replace them with 

majorversion="6"
minorversion="1"
productversion="6.1.3"
buildphase="hotfix"
buildnumber="15152"
smallfixnumber="1"
builddate="2017/07/19"
buildtime="16:29:13"

This appears to stop the updates completely.

On 8/9/2017 at 2:30 PM, Synojohn said:

Just found a really easy way to totally stop the updates and remove the flag.

There is 2 files /etc/VERSION and /etc.defaults/VERSION these contain the following text

majorversion="5"
minorversion="2"
buildphase="hotfix"
buildnumber="5592"
smallfixnumber="0"
builddate="2015/06/29"
buildtime="17:28:56"

replace them with 

majorversion="6"
minorversion="1"
productversion="6.1.3"
buildphase="hotfix"
buildnumber="15152"
smallfixnumber="1"
builddate="2017/07/19"
buildtime="16:29:13"

This appears to stop the updates completely.

To start with: /etc/VERSION  will normally get re-written on reboot while /etc.defaults/VERSION will be permanent until an update is applied where it will be re-written again.

I really need to intervene here because what you are proposing is definitely NOT a fix and can potentially create problems. You are basically fooling DSM into thinking it is on a version it is not. Not only this is not a permanent fix but it is also potentially dangerous security wise and have other implications system wise.

I advise against anyone on doing this for the purpose of "hiding" update notification and badges. It's just wrong.

@Polanskiman I’m interested to know if you against hiding the updates altogether or just this particular method? Understand that by hiding the updates means that I may miss a security update but being that I’m have a N54L with AMD processor I probably can’t do the update anyway and would just break my install.

I am not against hidding update notifications but I can tell that the above method is definitely not the way to go considering the implications it has. Changing the version of the OS for the mere sake of fooling it not to update is just wrong in my opinion. Changing that file should only be used for the sake of downgrading because you want to reinstall an older version.

If noobs start doing the above then we will start having a new set of problems which we don't really need.

The user already mentioned one consequence of doing the above. He can't install packages unless reverting the VERSION file to the actual version of DSM and modifying the file again.

I'll let you reflect on that.

Yes, Sorry for thinking I may have found a way to stop the updates and the notifications.

I agree it does not work properly.

If you fool the DSM into thinking it is up to date yes it stops the updates and flags, but any apps installed then flag as requiring an update.