XPEnology Community

HP N54L - DSM 6.1 onwards

synogeek

Hello,

I have an HP n54L installed DSM 6.0.1 Jun Loader, wondering if possible to upgrade to anything later than this?

Also how do I inject drivers into the system? Say I add 10 GbE or mellanox Infiniband connect x card etc...

Thank you all,

19 hours ago, synogeek said:

I have an HP n54L installed DSM 6.0.1 Jun Loader, wondering if possible to upgrade to anything later than this?

No it's not. If you read Jun's main thread I detailed in the OP the compatibility of the different loader versions with AMD.

Indeed it is possible you need the below loader (added drivers for hp microservers) and select Force install this will show the device on network then do the update/fresh install and select the DSM 15047 once it reboots select the top option (dont have to select amd option) and you should find your hp server is now on version 6.1 and fully working

Loader: Click Me

Please disable C3 in bios as it causes issue with installation/running 6.1

Known issues: sometimes after install the login page will not recognise your username/password

Solution: before update enable admin account with a password you can remember and login via that

• Like 4

On 6/29/2017 at 6:58 PM, khile said:

Indeed it is possible you need the below loader (added drivers for hp microservers) and select Force install this will show the device on network then do the update/fresh install and select the DSM 15047 once it reboots select the top option (dont have to select amd option) and you should find your hp server is now on version 6.1 and fully working

Loader: Click Me

Known issues: sometimes after install the login page will not recognise your username/password

Solution: before update enable admin account with a password you can remember and login via that

Thank you! does this include mellanox driver and 10GbE intel drivers (Model: X540-T2 Dual 10GbE PCI E nic cards)

Thanks, will try it out during this weekend and see how it goes.

So to recap I will load the load onto the USB just like installing it first time, and then come to my other PC and using find.synology.com or the Syno Assistant when it finds it just install right?

and of course before this I would need to do a force install Option #3 on the boot menu.

This correct?

Yes force install first time round and find your xpenology on network and load the DSM file allow it to go though the setup and once completed it will restart and just allow it to boot of the first option you dont have to select the amd option, first boot on my n36l took longer than expected possibly 5 mins but after initial time it generally loads up in about 30 seconds.

Good luck if you have any issues let me know

23 minutes ago, govenants said:

i test this loader with my n54l this weekend too :smile: 

wow good to see many other N54L owners here :)..

i think i got the n54l for around $200 USD so its cheaper than building a u-nas or other syno boxes and 

8 minutes ago, quetschwalze said:

I tested it under ESXi and it worked flawlessly. The only thing that I must do after the update to the newest version is to copy the kernel modules.

Gesendet von meinem MHA-L29 mit Tapatalk

would you care to elaborate your setup? are you doing bare metal ESXI and then Xpeno on a VM? how many NIC do you have quad or dual gig nic's?

I am planning to do DSM 6.0 + , mellanox SFP 10G, plus Intel 10 GbE nics' may be its over kill.

I have 16GB ram already on the micro server n54l

It's a ESXi 6.1u3 installation with 12GB RAM.

Xpenology is installed as a new VM with RDM. Nothing wild, only configured as a debian VM with serial connection for maintenace and the image as a SATA device. 

Currently I have only one networkcard in my N54L. 

Volumes are configured as btrfs. 

29 minutes ago, govenants said:

Your loader doesn't work with my HP microserver N54L with force mode

Can't find with synology assistant or find.synology.com

can you check if your NIC is active (Lights?) does it ping? via Router IP..it must have had an IP before, did you try PING?

I havent tried yet.

Ok let's check a few things

1) try booting with no disks connected just usb drive

2) are you using internal usb or external? I used internal

3) have you tried either find.synology.com or the Synology assistant

4) on first boot you must select force install and make sure no old loader is on usb drive or partition 

10 hours ago, quetschwalze said:

I tested it under ESXi and it worked flawlessly. The only thing that I must do after the update to the newest version is to copy the kernel modules.

Gesendet von meinem MHA-L29 mit Tapatalk

Khile can u update it to the 1.02b loader that jun released? so we dont have to copy the kernel modules across?

6 hours ago, arejaytee said:

Khile can u update it to the 1.02b loader that jun released? so we dont have to copy the kernel modules across?

Hi yes this is just initial release once there is enough confirmed working I will update

10 hours ago, khile said:

Ok let's check a few things

1) try booting with no disks connected just usb drive

2) are you using internal usb or external? I used internal

3) have you tried either find.synology.com or the Synology assistant

4) on first boot you must select force install and make sure no old loader is on usb drive or partition 

1) Boot without disk => booting the kernel , no ip , no syno assistant

2) USB internal

3) syno assistant or find => nothing

4) i try force or install mode  with new usb stick => nothing

I find , disable C1 processor in bios

I continue my test

Edited by govenants
find solution

34 minutes ago, govenants said:

1) Boot without disk => booting the kernel , no ip , no syno assistant

2) USB internal

3) syno assistant or find => nothing