XPEnology Community

HP N54L - DSM 6.1 onwards

synogeek

@guindous: Just updated my N54L with update 5 - no problems at all.

@xtreme010: WOL works on my machine with the S99ZZZ-script, C1E is disabled in bios. I did not configure the synoconf, just uploaded the script and changed rights (755). Afterwards turned off WOL in DSM-settings, rebooted, turned it on again.

Edited by Josh

On 29.6.2017 at 1:58 PM, khile said:

Indeed it is possible you need the below loader (added drivers for hp microservers) and select Force install this will show the device on network then do the update/fresh install and select the DSM 15047 once it reboots select the top option (dont have to select amd option) and you should find your hp server is now on version 6.1 and fully working

Loader: Click Me

Please disable C3 in bios as it causes issue with installation/running 6.1

Known issues: sometimes after install the login page will not recognise your username/password

Solution: before update enable admin account with a password you can remember and login via that

Can you upload the Loader for HP N54l again? I wont to update to 6.1.3.....

6 hours ago, Josh said:

@guindous: Just updated my N54L with update 5 - no problems at all.

@xtreme010: WOL works on my machine with the S99ZZZ-script, C1E is disabled in bios. I did not configure the synoconf, just uploaded the script and changed rights (755). Afterwards turned off WOL in DSM-settings, rebooted, turned it on again.

Thanks Josh

I will give that a go by reverting my conf file and hopefully that does the trick! Will report back once I have had a chance to test this out.

52 minutes ago, gezuppel said:

Hello,

You mean Juns 1.0.2b Loader works for my HP N54L with DSM 6.1.3?

Can anybody tell me where i can find the C1E and C3 Option in my Bios to disable?

Sorry,but Iam a totally noob .....

Yes.

For C1E, you being a total noob does not equate you being unable to find things. It's in the BIOS in the CPU features. Search and you shall find. 

• Like 1

I cannot install xpenology on my N54L...

Get stuck with error 38... and no data write to my disk.

The idea is to install itr on a SDD connected to the internal sata port (Bios identify it as primary slave)...

N54L boot, OK

Synology Assistant, finds the server

But fails on first/second step... never writes data to disk.

Any idea? Already tried sataport=1, sataport=42, sataport=5...

1 hour ago, vdias said:

The idea is to install itr on a SDD connected to the internal sata port (Bios identify it as primary slave)...

N54L boot, OK

Which bootloader are you using? jun's 1.02b works with the N54L. Have you disabled C1E in the bios, the N54L won't boot if you haven't done this. Also have you set the correct vid/pid of the USB stick?

On 29/09/2017 at 4:51 PM, Dfds said:

Just use jun's 1.02b loader, that works for the N54L & 6.1.3 Update 5

update5 works fine with Khile loader, i will change the loader to jun's when it will be required

22 hours ago, vdias said:

N54L boot, OK

Which BIOS are you using? Native? 

If native then upgrade the BIOS - see this guide.

http://www.nathanielperez.us/blog/hp-proliant-n40l-bios-modification-guide

I know it's for a N40L, but the steps are equal for a N54L - and I've checked the BIOS file in the pakage, it's identical to the BIOS-file I've used on my N54Ls.

Note that you have to flash twice according to the guide. Once with the original O41 BIOS and next with the MOD version of the O41 bios. The MOD bios activates a LOT of new settings in BIOS, so be careful! :grin:

When you're running the new BIOS, do these settings to activate AHCI on all 5 SATA ports. 

And remember to disable C1E also! :grin:

To enable AHCI on all ports, go to Southbridge Config, SATA 4/5 and disable sata 4/5 IDE mode. 

From the main screen go to ‘Chipset > Southbridge Configuration > SB SATA Configuration’ and make sure your settings are the same as below:
OnChip SATA Channel = Enabled
OnChip IDE Type = IDE
SATA IDE Combined Mode = Disabled
SATA EPS on all PORT = Enabled
SATA Power on all PORT = Enabled
Return to the main screen then go to ‘Advanced > IDE Configuration’ and again, make sure your settings are the same as below.
Embedded SATA Link Rate = 3.0Gbps MAX
are the settings for sata 

Then you should have no problems - I'm running two N54L servers with this BIOS and settings, both with five disks. :grin:

On 10/2/2017 at 9:36 PM, Zarocq said:

Which BIOS are you using? Native? 

If native then upgrade the BIOS - see this guide.

http://www.nathanielperez.us/blog/hp-proliant-n40l-bios-modification-guide

I know it's for a N40L, but the steps are equal for a N54L - and I've checked the BIOS file in the pakage, it's identical to the BIOS-file I've used on my N54Ls.

Note that you have to flash twice according to the guide. Once with the original O41 BIOS and next with the MOD version of the O41 bios. The MOD bios activates a LOT of new settings in BIOS, so be careful! :grin:

When you're running the new BIOS, do these settings to activate AHCI on all 5 SATA ports. 

And remember to disable C1E also! :grin:

To enable AHCI on all ports, go to Southbridge Config, SATA 4/5 and disable sata 4/5 IDE mode. 

From the main screen go to ‘Chipset > Southbridge Configuration > SB SATA Configuration’ and make sure your settings are the same as below:
OnChip SATA Channel = Enabled
OnChip IDE Type = IDE
SATA IDE Combined Mode = Disabled
SATA EPS on all PORT = Enabled
SATA Power on all PORT = Enabled
Return to the main screen then go to ‘Advanced > IDE Configuration’ and again, make sure your settings are the same as below.
Embedded SATA Link Rate = 3.0Gbps MAX
are the settings for sata 

Then you should have no problems - I'm running two N54L servers with this BIOS and settings, both with five disks. :grin:

Thanks... now it works... wrong settings on bios.

• Like 1

On 29.9.2017 at 10:29 PM, gezuppel said:

Works Spinndown on 6.1.3 update 5?! My Hdds are running all the Time.....

Gesendet von meinem VTR-L09 mit Tapatalk

Yes it does. See following screenshot.

2017-10-0520_20_28-n5tmk72.png

Did someone already the Update 6?

Edited by Invidia
Question added

On 23-8-2017 at 3:58 PM, moimoimoi said:

Thank you for this great tip ! It's now working fine on my baremetal N54L !

However I suspect that DSM would be able to use the amount of RAM reserved for graphic card purposes (specified in the BIOS) which could lead to some issues ?

It may be safer to buy a dedicated graphic card ? :(

Sorry for late reply, my machine is having a dedicated card en internal GPU disabled but still missing ram without this option.

On 5.10.2017 at 8:57 PM, gezuppel said:

Can you tell me what you have set so the hard disks go into standby or Spinndown?

Yeah sure, go to control panel > activate the advanced mode in the top right corner, then go to hardware & power, choose the tab HDD Hibernation, then choose the time period for hibernation.

• Like 2