XPEnology Community

HP N54L - DSM 6.1 onwards

synogeek

22 minutes ago, Dfds said:

Not sure why it's not working then as the N36L isn't fundamentally that different from the N40L or N54L, both of which I have working.

You are using the original v1.02b, aren't you? There are no patches or tricks to make it works, apart from the information in the grub.cfg file, right?

9 hours ago, ziorufus said:

You are using the original v1.02b, aren't you? There are no patches or tricks to make it works, apart from the information in the grub.cfg file, right?

Let's start over. What are the specs of your machine and specifically the NIC controller and the HDD controller. Be specific. If need be run a live unbuntu CD to check what modules your NIC is loading up. Report when you can provide all the information.

Is the loader booting at all or do you only see a black screen with nothing?

58 minutes ago, tomoki said:

Did u also set the USB SN?

Yes I did change the serial no as I have 2 servers & didn't want them both the same. Looking at my grub.cfg I also removed all of the menuentry items except for

menuentry "DS3615xs 6.1 Baremetal $VERSION" --class os {
        set img=
        savedefault
        loadlinux 3615 usb
        loadinitrd
        showtips
}

Got 6.1.3 Update 4 running on my N40L, but I can't for the life of me get the 2 extra sata ports to work.  I modded the BIOS, and the drives have AHCI enabled, but DSM can't see the drives.  Is there a step-by-step tutorial anywhere for getting them running?

**** EDIT ****

Scratch that...  I found it! Got two 128GB SSD's configured in a read-write cache, and all's well!

ssdcache.JPG.4ce2ca4de213fcf6c7f42f6ebbdeb605.JPG

On 13-9-2017 at 6:29 PM, Dfds said:

Yes I did change the serial no as I have 2 servers & didn't want them both the same. Looking at my grub.cfg I also removed all of the menuentry items except for

menuentry "DS3615xs 6.1 Baremetal $VERSION" --class os {
        set img=
        savedefault
        loadlinux 3615 usb
        loadinitrd
        showtips
}

Same here. At first I thought it was related to the update 4, However, After reinstall it got back up, but after reboot it was gone again. Have you found a solution?

Hello,

I'm very disapointed with the update of mu bare metal N54L:

- I've disabled  C1E in bios

- Update VID, PID, SN and MAC1 in grub.cf of the Jun's Loader found here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7848-mirror-links-to-loaders/

I've picked the DS3615xs file

- removed all the mentions of serial output

My N54L receive his IP from my DHCP server and so I can start the migration when I go to the 5000 port on HTTP.

I sent the DSM_DS3615xs_15152.pat file downloaded from synology website.

BUT, all my tests don't go over 56% .

In fact, the pat file was received but after nothing was done. No activity (hdd activity) on the N54L.

The most disturbing is that the console output was in quiet mode so I can't know where or why the N54L stucked at 56% .

Any ideas?

Thx.

On 9/20/2017 at 10:36 PM, Vish said:

Hello,

I'm very disapointed with the update of mu bare metal N54L:

- I've disabled  C1E in bios

- Update VID, PID, SN and MAC1 in grub.cf of the Jun's Loader found here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7848-mirror-links-to-loaders/

I've picked the DS3615xs file

- removed all the mentions of serial output

My N54L receive his IP from my DHCP server and so I can start the migration when I go to the 5000 port on HTTP.

I sent the DSM_DS3615xs_15152.pat file downloaded from synology website.

BUT, all my tests don't go over 56% .

In fact, the pat file was received but after nothing was done. No activity (hdd activity) on the N54L.

The most disturbing is that the console output was in quiet mode so I can't know where or why the N54L stucked at 56% .

Any ideas?

Thx.

As a starting point I would try again with another USB stick & a fresh download of the pat file.

45 minutes ago, Dfds said:

As a starting point I would try again with another USB stick & a fresh download of the pat file.

Thx for your attention.

I've check the md5sums of the file (b5a9b00761b700d8b9b2eaf1cf775534) and all is fine.

And Sincerely, If my new Sandisk 32G USB stick might be corrupted, the Synology Assistant wouldn't be launched, would it?

But, fine, I'll check that.

@Vish - I've had the same problem. When the N54L stopped responding, i shut it down (power-button, long press) and restarted it. At next boot i changed from the reinstall-menu-entry to the first entry. From this point it booted and continued to install. Hope it helps.

25 minutes ago, Josh said:

@Vish - I've had the same problem. When the N54L stopped responding, i shut it down (power-button, long press) and restarted it. At next boot i changed from the reinstall-menu-entry to the first entry. From this point it booted and continued to install. Hope it helps.

Thanks.

So, you boot with the reinstall item first, don't you?

Perhaps, my mistake is here, I boot with the 1st entry but I can launch the migration with http://ipaddress:5000/

But 56% is the key.

I've just try DS3617xs pat file with the corresponding Loader with the same issue => 56%

My N54 still respond (ping, restart the launcher) but the procédure stuck at f*** 56% !!

Very disappointed

I'll test your advice too, thx.

Hi,

I've just try with a new usb stick and I add "debug earlyprintk=vga,keep netconsole=4444@192.168.0.181" to the kernel parameters for debuging.

The console output seem fine, /dev/md0 was mounted, but sames issues after the transfer of the PAT file, the Assistant stops at 56% and no hdd activity on th N54L!

Don't know what to do next :-(

Yes, i booted with 2nd entry first and used synology assistant to connect. Then i uploaded the pat (3615) and started to migrate. When i saw no hdd-activity for some time i shut down hard and booted again - this time using the first entry. A while later i could connect again with synology assistant and it completed install. Only things i changed in grub.cfg were vid/pid and serial/mac, nothing else.

9 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

What exactly did you do here?

Finally, I've just comment the "showtips" items and remove "quiet console=ttys0 ..." and add "debug ..."

I've detailed the kernel parameters options in the french thread.

Finally, I can see the boot messages until the aggregation of the raid software /dev/md0

Each time I sent the PAT file, md0 was reconstructed.

12 hours ago, Vish said:

Hi,
Finally the migration succeed when you respect all the rules and mostly when you have to update a f*** serial number.

My mistake was that I've kept my old DSM5 SN.

So, we MUST use this page https://xpenogen.github.io/serial_generator/index.html

Thanks very much for helps.

Not true, both of my servers have the old style serial numbers & boot ok.

I'm running a stock N54L with stock BIOS (ver 041) and 2x WD Reds (3Tb).  I successfully upgraded from 5.2 to 6.1 a few weeks ago.  All went smoothly - standard Jun 1.02b loader and now running 6.1 Update 4.  No problems so far.  My issue now is that I've just tried to add a new 4Tb Seagate Ironwolf to the single SHR array - but no luck.  Synology reports the disk as not initaliized and having checked the boot process I suspect it's either a BIOS or HDD issue - not Xpenology.  The BIOS status screen before Jun's loader gets going says " AHCI Port 3 Device Error"  and "SATA S.M.A.R.T Capable Status BAD".  (I tried in Port 2 and get the same error.)

What BIOS are people using in their N54Ls? Is anyone running Ironwolfs with stock BIOS in their N54Ls?

On 9/23/2017 at 8:00 AM, Vish said:

Hi,
Finally the migration succeed when you respect all the rules and mostly when you have to update a f*** serial number.

My mistake was that I've kept my old DSM5 SN.

So, we MUST use this page https://xpenogen.github.io/serial_generator/index.html

Thanks very much for helps.

I really doubt that the issue was the SN. Although I did suggest you to generate a new one, one can usually install DSM with an old format DSM sn. You must have done something in between that allowed the update to happen

Hi All

I have 2 HP N54L bare metal running dsm 6.1.3 thanks to @Polanskiman's help.

Now im trying to get WakeOnLan working to maximise power efficiency but cant for the life of me get it to work. I followed the guide which i used when i was running dsm 5.x and that worked so i know its not the hardware. (Uploading the S99ZZZZ... script and modifying synoconf)

Could it be due to the C1E setting change in BIOS?

Anyone had any luck with this yet? 

Thanks!