XPEnology Community

HP N54L - DSM 6.1 onwards

synogeek

On 27.7.2017 at 9:36 AM, A.S._id said:

Hi,

Steps the same how to always:

*create usb bootloader, edit vid, pid, mac, serial, sata, boot default into grub.config

*OFF C1E into BIOS

* boot from USB, to find NAS into Assistant, to do migration

* Enjoy

this works from 6.0.2 too or have to do the extra steps with scripts, share and more?

9 hours ago, Messenger said:

this works from 6.0.2 too or have to do the extra steps with scripts, share and more?

This was all I did to upgrade my HP54L 6.0.2 baremetal to the latest with 1.02b bootloader.  The key is just disabling C1E in the bios.  Good Luck!

6 hours ago, netrider said:

This was all I did to upgrade my HP54L 6.0.2 baremetal to the latest with 1.02b bootloader.  The key is just disabling C1E in the bios.  Good Luck!

Hi, mind to share where are u get the loader 1.02b? Thanks

More about C1E :

C1E is a power management state that allows the processor to reduce power beyond just the cores. With C1E, the processor power can be reduced by lowering the memory controller clock speed and halting the HyperTransport™ technology links. This new feature was extremely important for our 12-core processors with the increase in memory channel support as well as the increase in HyperTransport™ technology links within the design.

The C1 enhanced state (C1E) is a stop-grant state supported by the processor. The C1E state is characterized by the following properties:

• All cores are in the halt (C1) state.
  • The ACPI-defined P_LVL3 register has been accessed.
  • The chipset has issued a STPCLK assertion message with the appropriate SMAF for C1E entry. Note that [The ACPI Power State Control Registers] F3x[84:80] specify the processor clocking and voltage behavior in response to the C1E SMAF.
  • The processor has issued a STOP_GRANT message to the chipset.

General requirements for C1E:

• The ACPI-defined C2 and C3 states must not be declared to the operating system.
  • C1E should only be enabled when the platform is in ACPI power management mode.

Source : https://superuser.com/questions/184569/what-is-c1e-support-on-my-amd-cpu

On 30-7-2017 at 7:33 PM, djvas335 said:

Hi, I confirm successful upgrade of N54L using jun's loader 1.02b, i just had to disable c1e in bios and set vid pid

And didi also use the force install option I read in the threads?

As well as booting with the system with the first option (so not selecting the AMD boot Option)?

On 2017/8/4 at 11:44 PM, martva said:

And didi also use the force install option I read in the threads?

As well as booting with the system with the first option (so not selecting the AMD boot Option)?

I had the same question as you .... but since no one answer the question and I can't wait anymore... perform the migration anyway ... successful ....

You wont find the AMD option with the 1.02b loader ... simply go with the first option ... 

I, however, get the "System health : Attention system partition failed" message ... anyone know what I should do for next? thanks.

I migrated my server n54l from 6.0.2 update 11 to 6.1.3 update 1 without loss of data or configuration.

Just use the loader 1.02b with the first boot mode and deactivate the c1e in the bios

No error message Has been running for 1 week

update take 15 min after reboot

:smile:

So here's what I'm going to do:

Preparing

- Create usb bootloader, using the standard Jun 1.0.2b synoboot.img.  (DONE)

- Edit vid, pid to fit my usbdrive (DONE)

- Edit mac, serial (taken from current bootloader, which I generated from a real mac adres of synology) (DONE)
- Edit sataportmap to sataportmap=4 (DONE)

- Download DSM version DSM DS3615xs_15152.pat ( ± 222MB in Size ) (DONE)

Booting:

- Turn off N54L

- Remove Current usbdrive

- Place new usbdrive

- Boot into Bios

- Turn OFF C1E into BIOS

- Boot from usb drive with default grub option 

- find.synology.com

- Choose Migrate during installation

- Choose DSM version Pat file listed above. 

- Coffee and wait

- And enjoy the freshly installed new version of DSM. 

Pleaz correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by martva
  • Like 1

Hi!

I probably didn't do anything I had to. Please help me find out what I've forgot.

Hardware: HP Microserver N40L

These are the steps I took:

* Download jun 1.02b loader

* Edit grub.conf - VID+PID, SN, MAC edited

* C1E disabled in BIOS

* Copied the img to USB

* Booted from USB

I can reach my "Web service", nothing was found with find.synology.com, the 22 and 5000 ports are not accessable.

I've installed the Synology Assistant, which was also unable to find the NAS.

Edited by muaddib81
Missing hardware description

Hi!

I probably didn't do anything I had to. Please help me find out what I've forgot.

Hardware: HP Microserver N40L

These are the steps I took:
* Download jun 1.02b loader
* Edit grub.conf - VID+PID, SN, MAC edited
* C1E disabled in BIOS
* Copied the img to USB
* Booted from USB

I can reach my "Web service", nothing was found with find.synology.com, the 22 and 5000 ports are not accessable.

I've installed the Synology Assistant, which was also unable to find the NAS.

Can you just enter the IP into your browser and you should see the initial page. If that's not working check your router DHCP table or scan the subnet for addresses of your NAS. Not sure if your N40L has a different NIC to a N54L.

42 minutes ago, neotronic said:

Can you just enter the IP into your browser and you should see the initial page. If that's not working check your router DHCP table or scan the subnet for addresses of your NAS. Not sure if your N40L has a different NIC to a N54L.

Thank you for your answer. The hardware is the same between N36L, N40L and N54L. The only difference is the processor.

I found out that F10 is not save and exit in BIOS but load default or something similar. I've turned off the C1E, but as I rechecked it right before, it was enabled again. Disabled and the migration is in progress :grin:

EDIT: Migration finished and no data loss :grin:

Edited by muaddib81
Migration finished.

I have a pig Problem.

Had the loader working for nearly a month.

Since 2 week I can't install updates.

Today I tried to reinstall the system with the reinstall option in the loader.

The Synology assistant find the system. After the reboot I chose the normal but, but nothing happens.

Tried force install the same.

Normal boot now it show that the system can be recovered. But nothing happens.

What can I do now?

Hi,

I have a N54L with DSM 6.1.3, but WOL doesn't work anymore.

I have problems with the Mac and Serial.

Schould I use the Mac from my N54L networkcard?

But how can I generate a serial, which fits?

Or can I choose any Mac an Serial by the generator?

Schould i flash my Networkcard after that ?

I only want to start the NAS by Magic Packet, over the fritzbox.