XPEnology Community

HP N54L - DSM 6.1 onwards

synogeek

On 19.7.2017 at 4:33 PM, ejt01 said:

Hi,

I have successfully migrated my HP N54L from version 6.0.2 to 6.1.3 15152 and created a step by step guide below which worked for me.

First Please read the upgrade tutorial by Polanskiman and this thread!

Use this guide at your own risk. I won’t be held responsible for any loss of data or failures that may result in the use of this step by step guide!

1.      Backup your data and system configs! You have the full responsibility!!!

2.      Disable C1E setting in bios!!!

3.      Start with the workaround script to copy network drivers at boot to prevent the HP micro server from not getting a network connection and become un-accessible

a.      Create a shared folder called Scripts in volume1

b.      Download the script update_patch.sh by Eduardo

c.      Enable SSH port 22 in Control Panel / Terminal & SNMP

d.      Use Putty to connect to your server log in with your admin account and password. Check that admin password is set.

e.      In Putty to become super user type Sudo –i

f.        Change permissions of your update file, type chmod 0744 /volume1/Scripts/update_patch.sh

g.      Log out, exit putty, disable SSH access

h.      Go to Control Panel / Tasks Scheduler and create a triggered task, select user root and select event boot up and then go to task settings and type in /volume1/Scripts/update_patch.sh and finally enable the task!

4.      Go to Control Panel /Update & Restore and update to DSM 6.1.3-15152

5.      When the server reboots turn it off and unplug your usb stick

6.      Make a backup of your usb stick with image writer

7.      Note VID, PID, mac address and serial of your grub config file of your usb stick

8.      Write with Image writer the loader image file JunsMod102a-test-NICadd.img by Khile to your usb stick

9.      Update the grub config file of your usb stick with VID, PID, serial number and mac address

10.   Update the GRUB_VER file of your usb stick with DSM Version to 15152

11.   Put back the updated USB stick to your server and start the server

12.   Start Synology assistant to check when the server comes online, if it does not come online wait about 15 minutes for the update_patch script to run and to copy the network files to the right folder after that is done it will reboot. Mine rebooted twice however my server always needs to be turned off at boot as it does not reboot the usb stick for some reason.

If your migration does not work out for some reason you can reinstall by pulling out all the hard disks from the server and select forced install, when the server appears in the Synology assistant insert the hard disks and install fresh.

Hey there, I am kinda new to Xpenology I am currently running 6.0.2-8754 in my N54l is it possible to upgrade with this guide to 6.1.3-15152? Btw what does the version behind the '-' stand for? Explanation would be nice :smile:

1 hour ago, Eduardo said:

Khile's bootloader included a bunch of modules for AMD N54L. USB 1.1 working, etc.

Can you check if this bootloader has these modules?

Neotronic's file is just the standard 1.02b release from jun, i doubt it will work.

On 7/22/2017 at 2:25 PM, neotronic said:
On 7/22/2017 at 11:13 AM, milo said:

Hi, what is the difference between 1.02b and the one provided on 1st page? Is it simplify the way of the installation? Is it suitable for the upgrade from dsm 6.0 to 6.1? 

Can I have one? Many thx.

I'm not sure what the differences are other than this shows 1.02b on the boot menu and it seems to support the latest DSM Update 1. Hopefully you can also test and find good results. I've attached the file. I'll be doing some upgrade testing today from DSM 5 and and will feedback asap.

synoboot.img

Hi,

I am newbie here, can i try with my N54L that currently running

DS3615xs

Current DSM version:
DSM 5.2-5967
DSM date:
2016/04/26

What is the best step to start with?

Thanks

Hi all, 

If i understand correctly, Jun fixed the 'time bomb' bug in  loader v1.02a2 ... Is the loader "JunsMod102a-test-NICadd.img" (based on loader v1.02a??) has the "time bomb" bug?? thanks.

I have succesfully updated my n54l from 6.0.2 to 6.1.3 update 1 with ejt01´s guide. I can confirm that this works fine.

The only issue I´m having right now is that unfortunately WOL has stoppped working since I updated. I got the same MAC as before and inbefore it worked flawlessly. If someone has a suggestion as how I could get it to work again, it would be much appreciated :smile:

Hi, I also have problem to locate the grub_ver file... how do you check the USB after you burn the img in it??? thanks.

I found the grub file was created on the USB boot media after installation of the latest update. The trick is to power off after the update restart and look for the file on the USB media (plug it into your PC), edit the file and update with the version of the update you just applied. Reinsert the boot media in your server and boot up. You should be ok then.

I have succesfully updated my n54l from 6.0.2 to 6.1.3 update 1 with ejt01´s guide. I can confirm that this works fine.

The only issue I´m having right now is that unfortunately WOL has stoppped working since I updated. I got the same MAC as before and inbefore it worked flawlessly. If someone has a suggestion as how I could get it to work again, it would be much appreciated [emoji4]

I think WOL is broken with 1.02b - at least mine is. Other posts I found today also suggest GEN8 servers also won't WOL.

3 hours ago, neotronic said:

I found the grub file was created on the USB boot media after installation of the latest update. The trick is to power off after the update restart and look for the file on the USB media (plug it into your PC), edit the file and update with the version of the update you just applied. Reinsert the boot media in your server and boot up. You should be ok then.

I'm lost. What's the matter with this file? Why are you editing it?

5 hours ago, Oelli said:

The only issue I´m having right now is that unfortunately WOL has stoppped working since I updated. I got the same MAC as before and inbefore it worked flawlessly. If someone has a suggestion as how I could get it to work again, it would be much appreciated :smile:

Does your Xpenology MAC match with your real MAC?

8 hours ago, neotronic said:

Hi, thx for the reply.

How do u read the USB after u format and burn img file in it? which software i need to read it?

Thanks.

Hi, thx for the reply.
How do u read the USB after u format and burn img file in it? which software i need to read it?
Thanks.

Just your own PC. If you wish to edit the image directly use OSF mount to mount the image/partition. Make your changes, save and write the boot image again.

2 hours ago, neotronic said:

Just your own PC. If you wish to edit the image directly use OSF mount to mount the image/partition. Make your changes, save and write the boot image again.

My PC is windows 7, after I created the USB thru the win32 disk imager (with img burned in it)... my PC seems can't recognize it... any idea what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2017 at 2:00 PM, Alex31337 said:

Thank you, Everyone!

N40L with 1.02b (from the topic) worked great.

Encrypted folder speed is 50mb/s, looks like this encryption algo sucks a lot, what can we do? Plain 2xhdd raid0 gives 200mb/s

How to make it write at 100mb/s the encrypted folder?

How to mount fresh ext4 drive?

[ 4363.767818] JBD2: Unrecognised features on journal
[ 4363.767828] EXT4-fs (sda1): error loading journal
[ 6346.064135] EXT3-fs (sda1): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (2c0)

What is the right way to upgrade from 1.01?

i had to read the disks from virtualbox with windows10 + 10days trial , it is also ok if you have a recent linux virtualmachine.

Synology does not recognize ext4 formated with recent distributions :(

On 7/4/2017 at 7:17 AM, Polanskiman said:

I am quite surprised v1.02a is working with AMD since Jun clearly stated that AMD needed extra work. Are you people upgrading/installing in EXSI or baremetal?

I can see you added the following modules to the extra.lzma ramdisk along with the required firmwares. Did you compile those network modules yourself? 

w5100.ko
w5300.ko
8139cp.ko
8139too.ko
e100.ko
forcedeth.ko
r6040.ko
via-rhine.ko
3c59x.ko
typhoon.ko

I also noted you recompiled the kernel. What changes were brought for this new compile?

@khile

Mind to share why you recompiled the kernel and what features you added?

1 hour ago, Polanskiman said:

@khile

Mind to share why you recompiled the kernel and what features you added?

The silence on this question is off putting, I hope you answer it @khile. Wish there more sharing both from Jun and others... like @IG-88 's drivers guide. I can understand not sharing it so its harder for Synology but cmon!@

hi owners of NAS N54L...

25.07.2017 update DSM from 5.2 to 6.1.3 via migration without wipe settings. 2 days all good, USB working UPS APC  CS 500 sewing...

@khile thanks, great work 👍

Edited by A.S._id
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, A.S._id said:

hi owners of NAS N54L...

25.07.2017 update DSM from 5.2 to 6.1.3 via migration without wipe settings. 2 days all good, USB working UPS APC  CS 500 sewing...

@khile thanks, great work 👍

Hi,

Im using N54L baremetal 5.2 and would like to know how to migrate. Can you share me the steps.

2 минуты назад, nnps255 сказал:

Hi,

Im using N54L baremetal 5.2 and would like to know how to migrate. Can you share me the steps.

Hi,

Steps the same how to always:

*create usb bootloader, edit vid, pid, mac, serial, sata, boot default into grub.config

*OFF C1E into BIOS

* boot from USB, to find NAS into Assistant, to do migration

* Enjoy

2 minutes ago, A.S._id said:

Hi,

Steps the same how to always:

*create usb bootloader, edit vid, pid, mac, serial, sata, boot default into grub.config

*OFF C1E into BIOS

* boot from USB, to find NAS into Assistant, to do migration

* Enjoy

which bootloader should I use?