XPEnology Community

HP N54L - DSM 6.1 onwards

synogeek

A few people have said they only got it to work as a new/clean install im looking into it but that may be an option 

I see what you mean now. So I need to use your loader and install the latest pat and see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be able to test that on bare metal soon and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all let me thank @khile an jun for their work.

I have a N54L using jun bootloader (baremetal) and I would like to use DSM 6.1.

I read that I have to disable in bios c1/c3 support (why?). Then configure khile bootloader as jun told... and later I should use force install option. People are saying that the only way it worked was selecting clean install... Using a clean install means that I lose all my files, meaning that migration does not work?

thankyou

the c1e setting when on allows the cpu to throttle back when not in use but synology software does not like it and if you manage to boot it usually freezes or hangs  when the c1e even occurs

there are a few options depending on your setup

this is my setup

4 hard drivers the 1st one is solely for xpenology  the boot partition, all files and programs go on there the other 3 hdd are where i store all my files moves,tv etc  

now if all yours are on one hdd then you are limited you could buy or source a cheap hdd and install xpenology on that then use linux to delete partition off the original hdd

I did my setup using "Set up as new system - Keeping all files" and this worked. Except for the memory problem.

dmesg | grep -i memory

[    0.000000] WARNING: BIOS bug: CPU MTRRs don't cover all of memory, losing 4608MB of RAM.

1 hour ago, Bananen79 said:

I did my setup using "Set up as new system - Keeping all files" and this worked. Except for the memory problem.

dmesg | grep -i memory

[    0.000000] WARNING: BIOS bug: CPU MTRRs don't cover all of memory, losing 4608MB of RAM.

Hi, same here changing the synoinfo has no effect are you dutch by any change? :smile:

Guys with memory problems add this to the grub.cfg

disable_mtrr_trim

Example: 

set common_args_3617='disable_mtrr_trim syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3617xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_port_thaw=1'

Now I got:

total        used        free
Mem:          16034         260       15458           3         315       15560
Swap:         11665           0       11665

/proc/mtrr is editable even from a command shell: you can disable register records and/or write new values there this seems to be a Bios bug.
Adding disable_mtrr_trim disables it without losing any performance as far as I know.

Edited by Toetje583
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, khile said:

this was done as added a few extra modules/firmware and drivers. some network modules where freely available online and included to have maximum comparability  

You also re-compiled the kernel with AMD support right or did you also pick that up from the net?

19 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Baremetal?

Jup just select the first menu option, DS3617xs 6.1 Baremetal

Update: I'm @ work now otherwise I would ssh into the box and send you some more info however it's running for a few hours now without any issues so far. I believe I can see what kernel modules are selected while building the kernel once i got acces to SSH.

Edited by Toetje583

58 minutes ago, Toetje583 said:

Jup just select the first menu option, DS3617xs 6.1 Baremetal

Update: I'm @ work now otherwise I would ssh into the box and send you some more info however it's running for a few hours now without any issues so far. I believe I can see what kernel modules are selected while building the kernel once i got acces to SSH.

Vanilla loader? Not the one modified by @khile right?

Thanks Khile, I followed yr tutorial and it worked great (after disabling the c1e setting in BIOS)

I did a clean bare metal install on the HP 54l using khiles 1.02b build 15047, then I thought I will try upgrade to the latest  DSM_DS3615xs_15132

After it installed, it rebooted (but same issues as neotronic) ie couldnt find the HP54l

To resolve , I just did the forced reinstall per khiles 1.02b again, then reboot using the normal 1st option, then it found the server, It then went to the std DSM set ups creen, do you want new install or migrate files/settings etc

So all good now

I reckon may just work going clean install on barebones going straight to the latest DSM build...

12 hours ago, Toetje583 said:

Guys with memory problems add this to the grub.cfg

disable_mtrr_trim

Example: 

set common_args_3617='disable_mtrr_trim syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3617xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_port_thaw=1'

Now I got:

total        used        free
Mem:          16034         260       15458           3         315       15560
Swap:         11665           0       11665

/proc/mtrr is editable even from a command shell: you can disable register records and/or write new values there this seems to be a Bios bug.
Adding disable_mtrr_trim disables it without losing any performance as far as I know.

You are a genius! Worked perfect! 

I have a small error when rebooting and after login DSM tells me there is an error on my harddrive (Harddrive1). But there is no error on the harddrive and nothing in the logs...? Is there something in grub.cfg like SataPortMap=1 I need to change? I have 3 disks installed.

This is not a big problem because everything is working just fine! 

Thank you all for good help/job! Big thanks to @khile and @jun!

Edited by Bananen79
Adding som extra..

42 minutes ago, Bananen79 said:

You are a genius! Worked perfect! 

I have a small error when rebooting and after login DSM tells me there is an error on my harddrive (Harddrive1). But there is no error on the harddrive and nothing in the logs...? Is there something in grub.cfg like SataPortMap=1 I need to change? I have 3 disks installed.

This is not a big problem because everything is working just fine! 

Thank you all for good help/job! Big thanks to @khile and @jun!

Not sure but I don't think you would need to change it, as far as I know jun did something to automate that progress.

Edited by Toetje583
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ygor said:

dsm 6.1 is working with baremetal hpn54L ?

i have 5 hdd + 16 GB memory

can i keep data ? (or unplug all drive while booting on new loader ?)

I'm working on getting to work migrating with limited success 5.2 dsm to 6.1 works fine and will ask you to migrate after but if your on version 6.0.2 the it not working correctly always sometimes it will migrate others it does not apper to find server 

options

Wipe hdd with dsm on or find another hdd and install that as primary hdd 

Si

I have to diable C1 /C3 on bios 

Then use the bootloader from this thread ?

Update the USB stick with serial vois and Mac address

Chose AMD on voit bootloader thé see if Synology find n54l

Then chose migrate After choosing dsm 6.1 ? Spécifications relase of dsm ?

2 minutes ago, ygor said:

Si

I have to diable C1 /C3 on bios 

Then use the bootloader from this thread ?

Update the USB stick with serial vois and Mac address

Chose AMD on voit bootloader thé see if Synology find n54l

Then chose migrate After choosing dsm 6.1 ? Spécifications relase of dsm ?

once the bootloader is on the usb stick choose force install this will allow the server to be found on the network, from there update the dsm to 6.1 then when it restarts let the bootloader load first option (dont select amd) first boot may take 5-10 mins to show up

N54L Bare Metal Test

Disabled C1E  in bios, select option 3 force first time.  Tested with hp NC360T,  Synology Assitant finds both but but at 57% error 13 over and over.  FAILS

Discouraged so I tested with onboard nic, selected Migrate and it works !!!

Info Center 2017-07-05-15-40-40.png

Edited by RacerX

N36L working, but not migrate from 6.0.2!
Clean install with DSM 6.1.2!!! [emoji4]

Can anyone running the latest pat on bare metal comment on how uptime has been going. Are you seeing any crashes or issues when your server is on 24/7? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk