XPEnology Community

HP N54L - DSM 6.1 onwards

synogeek

On 2017-06-29 at 1:58 PM, khile said:

Indeed it is possible you need the below loader (added drivers for hp microservers) and select Force install this will show the device on network then do the update/fresh install and select the DSM 15047 once it reboots select the top option (dont have to select amd option) and you should find your hp server is now on version 6.1 and fully working

Loader: Click Me

Please disable C3 in bios as it causes issue with installation/running 6.1

Known issues: sometimes after install the login page will not recognise your username/password

Solution: before update enable admin account with a password you can remember and login via that

Followed your tutorial on my n54l and migrated successfully from 5.2, thanks. 

I discovered one problem, it seems that i cannot use all of my 16GB RAM..? Only about 3GB is available. Any idea??

Give these a try 

Change memory settings in /etc/synoinfo.conf and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf for extra memory this is required in mb  default should look like below once changed and saved restart

mem_default_mb 4096 
mem_max_mb 4096

53 minutes ago, khile said:

Give these a try 

Change memory settings in /etc/synoinfo.conf and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf for extra memory this is required in mb  default should look like below once changed and saved restart

mem_default_mb 4096 
mem_max_mb 4096

Tried changing those values but after restart the Synology Web assistant appeared and wants to migrate my system... !?

13 hours ago, Bananen79 said:

Tried changing those values but after restart the Synology Web assistant appeared and wants to migrate my system... !?

Both synoinfo.conf shows:

mem_default_mb 4096 
mem_max_mb 32768

Systeminfo says it's 16GB but when I try to use it in docker and virtualbox it's down to 3392MB.

19 hours ago, Bananen79 said:

Now it restarted fine after editing files but no more ram is available. Shows total 16GB, 12.7 GB is reserved.

Here is what the console says:

free -m

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available

Mem:           3392        2837         357           7         197            348

Swap:          4083         449        3634

I am quite surprised v1.02a is working with AMD since Jun clearly stated that AMD needed extra work. Are you people upgrading/installing in EXSI or baremetal?

I can see you added the following modules to the extra.lzma ramdisk along with the required firmwares. Did you compile those network modules yourself? 

w5100.ko
w5300.ko
8139cp.ko
8139too.ko
e100.ko
forcedeth.ko
r6040.ko
via-rhine.ko
3c59x.ko
typhoon.ko

I also noted you recompiled the kernel. What changes were brought for this new compile?

On 6/29/2017 at 6:58 PM, khile said:

Indeed it is possible you need the below loader (added drivers for hp microservers) and select Force install this will show the device on network then do the update/fresh install and select the DSM 15047 once it reboots select the top option (dont have to select amd option) and you should find your hp server is now on version 6.1 and fully working

Loader: Click Me

Please disable C3 in bios as it causes issue with installation/running 6.1

Known issues: sometimes after install the login page will not recognise your username/password

Solution: before update enable admin account with a password you can remember and login via that

Mind providing boot consol logs?

I did some bare metal testing over the weekend and and found the loader and 15047 pat file worked great on an N54L, and thanks to those who have made that possible. That was a clean install using 'force install' to begin with then just booting with default choices after that. I thought I'd then test updating to the latest DSM_DS3615xs_15132.pat file but despite installing ok and restarting - the updated server couldn't find the N54L's NIC so no further connectivity was possible. Would it be possible for someone to add N54L support to Jun's 1.02b loader? I'm assuming that Jun's 1.02b with N54L support would be able to support upgrading to DSM_DS3615xs_15132.pat which I believe is the latest available from Synology?

12 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

I am quite surprised v1.02a is working with AMD since Jun clearly stated that AMD needed extra work. Are you people upgrading/installing in EXSI or baremetal?

I can see you added the following modules to the extra.lzma ramdisk along with the required firmwares. Did you compile those network modules yourself? 

w5100.ko
w5300.ko
8139cp.ko
8139too.ko
e100.ko
forcedeth.ko
r6040.ko
via-rhine.ko
3c59x.ko
typhoon.ko

I also noted you recompiled the kernel. What changes were brought for this new compile?

this was done as added a few extra modules/firmware and drivers. some network modules where freely available online and included to have maximum comparability  

2 hours ago, neotronic said:

I did some bare metal testing over the weekend and and found the loader and 15047 pat file worked great on an N54L, and thanks to those who have made that possible. That was a clean install using 'force install' to begin with then just booting with default choices after that. I thought I'd then test updating to the latest DSM_DS3615xs_15132.pat file but despite installing ok and restarting - the updated server couldn't find the N54L's NIC so no further connectivity was possible. Would it be possible for someone to add N54L support to Jun's 1.02b loader? I'm assuming that Jun's 1.02b with N54L support would be able to support upgrading to DSM_DS3615xs_15132.pat which I believe is the latest available from Synology?

Have you disabled c1 support as DSM_DS3615xs_15132 is supported if you follow my guide it has been tested on n36l alway up to the n54l and all work.

1) Make sure c1 is disabled in bios.

2) Select force install (install pat)

3) one reboot select top option (dont select amd)

4) give it time 5-10 mins to come up (mine took around 10 mins first time)

any issues please post back 

Have you disabled c1 support as DSM_DS3615xs_15132 is supported if you follow my guide it has been tested on n36l alway up to the n54l and all work.

1) Make sure c1 is disabled in bios.
2) Select force install (install pat)
3) one reboot select top option (dont select amd)
4) give it time 5-10 mins to come up (mine took around 10 mins first time)

any issues please post back 

I did disable C1 in the BIOS but the latest pat didn't work for me and the server was unable to obtain and IP address after a restart. Maybe I should of fixed the IP to manual before the restart when applying the latest pat. I still have the test disk and USB for further testing. Other than that I did follow your install guidelines and everything worked apart from the latest pat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk