Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)


Recommended Posts

I've read through this thread (as well as the "DSM 6.x.x Loader" thread) but must have missed something.

 

My desktop is an   HP dc7900 with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

 

I've tried synoboot 1.02b for all 3 versions (ds916 / ds3615 / ds3617) and it doesn't boot.  It goes straight to the next step in the boot order which is the network boot.

The vid/pid/sn/mac was set for each attempt.

 

The same configuration works fine with XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.4.img

 

 

thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

I followed all of the directions and everything was going well until I got to Step 9.  I selected Migrate and now it seems to be in a Recover loop.  I suspect I should have selected manual install after Migrate.  At no point was I prompted to select the pat file.  Please help.  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MDGuy said:

 I suspect I should have selected manual install after Migrate.

What do you mean? If you let the installer go through without providing manually the 6.0.2 PAT file then you might have screwed things up as Synology possibly pushed the lasted 6.0.x version (6.0.3) instead of the 6.0.2 required. I clearly mentionned that one needs to provide the PAT file manually and if you got the migration stage then it means you missed it because that's where it is supposed to be just right after that step. If you are on an Intel based CPU machine then you could try using v1.02b and installing 6.1.2 but I can't guarantee it will work. Another possibility is to downgrade back to 6.0.2 or even 5.2 by modifying the required files and then installing again.

See: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/5442-downgrade-from-dsm-60/ and 

 

See: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-amp-system-partitions/

 

Before doing anything you could simply double check if what I am saying is correct by using the second link to access the system partition and check the VERSION file located under \etc.defaults\VERSION to see what version of DSM is installed, then proceed accordingly.

 

If you need to reinstall don't forget to re-burn the loader image onto the USB flash drive as during the upgrade process the kernel was replaced in the loader by the one from the PAT file.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply.  It wasn't clear to me to click the manual install link.  I thought I was going to be prompted for the pat file once I selected Migrate.  That was my bad.  I am going to retrace my steps and try 1.02b, which so far seems to be starting to work.  I have a few more steps to get through.  I will let you know how it turns out.  I appreciate the help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.06.2017 at 4:38 AM, Polanskiman said:

 


AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200 2.20GHz
Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2L
NIC NVIDIA nForce

In view of your hardware you need the forcedeth.ko module. The custom ramdisk that I provided contains it but it seem the custom ramdisk is posing some problems to some people. Try this one instead which contains only the forcedeth module in addition to the modules provided by Jun: https://mega.nz/#!KcxTxQhJ!FYOSzesxdUjPlynO4YDvSu4LKfFkFk9eBvkUD9AGS04

 

Please report back.

 

Thank you Polanskiman for you hard work.

 

Unfortunately no luck with this drivers ;/

 

I would be gratefull for further assistance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

What do you mean?

 

My Boot order is

--USB thumb drive

--Network boot.

 

It skips the USB Boot and goes to the Network boot which means it's not reading the thumb drive.

If I use the same thumb drive on another machine it boot fine.

 

When I put the 5.x version on the thumb drive, the machine boots fine

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
My Boot order is
--USB thumb drive
--Network boot.
 
It skips the USB Boot and goes to the Network boot which means it's not reading the thumb drive.
If I use the same thumb drive on another machine it boot fine.
 
When I put the 5.x version on the thumb drive, the machine boots fine

Try booting in legacy instead of efi. The loader is hybrid so it can boot in both modes.
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Polanskiman said:


You are chosing the AMD line in the grub menu right?

 

Of course I am :smile:

 

That is why I am looking for any method to see what is going on underneath if system fails to load, or crush at some point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Newbie alert..
Just setup on HP Microserver 1620, celeron, 10Gb ram, 16Tb as Raid5 (12Tb), with 256Gb SSD.. 

Installed XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 and the DSM_DS3615xs_5644.. 
Everythig working fine for local access.. I cannot access via external internet (not too bothered about that).

 

However, when i try to download and install Jun's 1.01 or 1.02b installers to a USB stick (using Win32DiskImager) i get errors during the write.. And multipel partitions are created on the flash drive.. If I go back to XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 then no errors and just the 1 partition..

 

I want to upgrade to latest possible DSM, but am i missing something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lilmonkey said:

Newbie alert..
Just setup on HP Microserver 1620, celeron, 10Gb ram, 16Tb as Raid5 (12Tb), with 256Gb SSD.. 

Installed XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 and the DSM_DS3615xs_5644.. 
Everythig working fine for local access.. I cannot access via external internet (not too bothered about that).

 

However, when i try to download and install Jun's 1.01 or 1.02b installers to a USB stick (using Win32DiskImager) i get errors during the write.. And multipel partitions are created on the flash drive.. If I go back to XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 then no errors and just the 1 partition..

 

I want to upgrade to latest possible DSM, but am i missing something?


would highly suggest you open a new thread about your issue.its easier for others to help that way.

 

Instead of this thread getting many pages long.

 

Also did you check your PVID etc? soemtimes bad memory stick can also cause issues, do you have spares to test?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I digged the whole forum but I couldn't find a clear answer how to do the trick to move forward from DSM 6.0.2.

I'm currently running stable at DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 11 on DS3615XS bare metal. I was thinking to just create a new usb boot stick with loader 1.02b adjust the grub.cfg and boot my current DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 11 with the new 1.02b loader. From there I like to upgrade just from the control panel. Can I do it this way? Thanks!

 

Edited by hannibal1969
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lilmonkey said:

Newbie alert..
Just setup on HP Microserver 1620, celeron, 10Gb ram, 16Tb as Raid5 (12Tb), with 256Gb SSD.. 

Installed XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 and the DSM_DS3615xs_5644.. 
Everythig working fine for local access.. I cannot access via external internet (not too bothered about that).

 

However, when i try to download and install Jun's 1.01 or 1.02b installers to a USB stick (using Win32DiskImager) i get errors during the write.. And multipel partitions are created on the flash drive.. If I go back to XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 then no errors and just the 1 partition..

 

I want to upgrade to latest possible DSM, but am i missing something?

 

What errors? Having multiple partitions is normal and intended.

 

 

14 hours ago, synogeek said:


would highly suggest you open a new thread about your issue.its easier for others to help that way.

 

Instead of this thread getting many pages long.

 

Also did you check your PVID etc? soemtimes bad memory stick can also cause issues, do you have spares to test?

 

Why? He is on topic. He simply has an issue with the upgrade process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

 

What errors? Having multiple partitions is normal and intended.

 

 

 

Why? He is on topic. He simply has an issue with the upgrade process.

 

i said so, because from experience if you create a thread for guide its advisable to ask issues / questions on a new thread. the reasoning behind this is so as not to make the tutorial thread 100's of pages long and sometimes some of those pages are actually important

 

if i had an issue, and I open a new thread there is also the thing the search tool will bring the thread directly (new one), if you go through an existing thread (tutorial one) and look for issues it becomes PITA.

 

maybe im wrong thats how I felt was right.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately the HP dc7900 BIOS doesn't have an option to choose the boot mode.

 

Since it works with a 5.x image, is there anything that can be modified on the USB image?

 

thanks

 

 

On 6/29/2017 at 8:33 PM, Polanskiman said:


Try booting in legacy instead of efi. The loader is hybrid so it can boot in both modes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! Making a clear install of DSM 6.1 on a PC with 1.02b bootloader. Everything works fine until reboot. After reboot there's an grub error in rescue mode - no such partition. Flashing the stick again returns DSM to life but till next reboot. Is there a solution?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Riddick said:

Hi! Making a clear install of DSM 6.1 on a PC with 1.02b bootloader. Everything works fine until reboot. After reboot there's an grub error in rescue mode - no such partition. Flashing the stick again returns DSM to life but till next reboot. Is there a solution?

 

Missing driver(s)? I'm still interested if there is a proper upgrade method from DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 11 on DS3615XS -> DSM 6.03 and higher using boot loader 1.02b. 

Simple question. Will boot loader 1.02b still work wit DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 11 on DS3615XS?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2017 at 6:30 AM, xpenology5User said:

Unfortunately the HP dc7900 BIOS doesn't have an option to choose the boot mode.

 

Since it works with a 5.x image, is there anything that can be modified on the USB image?

 

thanks

 

 

 

 

Now that I remember another user had the same hardware than you and unfortunately was not able to install 6.0.2. You can read this post and the subsequent answers

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hannibal1969 said:

 

Missing driver(s)? I'm still interested if there is a proper upgrade method from DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 11 on DS3615XS -> DSM 6.03 and higher using boot loader 1.02b. 

Simple question. Will boot loader 1.02b still work wit DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 11 on DS3615XS?

 

 

 

As clearly stated in the OP of the tutorial in blue, bold, increased font size and capital letters, DSM 6.0.3, DSM 6.1, DSM 6.1.1 and DSM 6.1.2 are a NO GO. with loader v1.01.

 

Loader v1.02a/v1.02a2/v1.02b are not backward compatible with DSM 6.0.2 because its kernel is 3.10.77 and DSM 6.1, DSM 6.1.1, DSM 6.1.2 kernel is 3.10.102

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.