XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

On 9/6/2017 at 2:52 AM, Banshee1971 said:

Didn't work.

Now i'm downloading UBuntu 64 and 32 bits to test it.. very slow to download !

But i order an Intell Pro 100 BT nic card, so hope this one will work

Please try the following extra.lzma ramdisks and let me know if either one of them works.

Be sure to rename them to extra.lzma before use.

5 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Please try the following extra.lzma ramdisks and let me know if either one of them works.

I tried both but still can't get into my machine either with the find.synology.com or the assistant. I have no errors and the bootscreen looks exactly the same as your tutorial's. 

i have a Broadcom NetXtreme II 5771x/578xx 10/20-Gigabit Ethernet, I think.. 5.2 just loads all the network modules but the bnx2x is used by some other module so i think i have that one. 

i can't find a list where it shows that's in your extra.lzma. should Broadcom be supported? or am i just out of luck and should i go looking for another adapter?

17 hours ago, brugh said:

I tried both but still can't get into my machine either with the find.synology.com or the assistant. I have no errors and the bootscreen looks exactly the same as your tutorial's. 

i have a Broadcom NetXtreme II 5771x/578xx 10/20-Gigabit Ethernet, I think.. 5.2 just loads all the network modules but the bnx2x is used by some other module so i think i have that one. 

i can't find a list where it shows that's in your extra.lzma. should Broadcom be supported? or am i just out of luck and should i go looking for another adapter?

As the quote suggests, these ramdisks where not meant for you but for @Banshee1971 specifically as the ramdisks are adapted to his situation.

All modules included in the default ramdisk and all additional modules included in the custom ramdisk are available at the end of tutorial. Please read carefully.

15 minutes ago, Infosucher said:

Hello Polanskiman,

is there a valid reason not to install DSM 6.1? Or is this version fully operational?

Thanks.

Infosucher

None except that this topic is a tutorial to update DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2. Other than that it's ok. Check the forum for topics relating to DSM 6.1.

On 9/6/2017 at 2:52 AM, Banshee1971 said:

Didn't work.

Now i'm downloading UBuntu 64 and 32 bits to test it.. very slow to download !

But i order an Intell Pro 100 BT nic card, so hope this one will work

Scrap the two last extra.lzma I posted. Please try this one and report back please:

http:// https://mega.nz/#!yIgUVajL!C19oYO96G8lXa-gANsF15qcgG8hFkpEwOz-j58xla_4

23 hours ago, brugh said:

Same for you. Try this one: http:// https://mega.nz/#!yIgUVajL!C19oYO96G8lXa-gANsF15qcgG8hFkpEwOz-j58xla_4

Please report back.

On 11/19/2016 at 11:29 PM, bgonz1172 said:

i am trying to update my hp n40l with hp p410 sas card and sas drives from 5.2 to 6.0 but it is not seeing the disks (no hard drive found error). Can someone confirm if the jun 1.01 loader has hp p410 support or tell me how to enable it? If hp p410 can someone point me to support SAS cards. I would really like to get mine DS up to 6. thanks!

Did you ever get this working, I'm in the same boat.

I'm trying to bring it up on a HP DL360 G6 with a P410i on the board, one disk set to RAID 0 and with Jun's 1.01, I've carefully modified the grub.cfg with USB IDs and set SN and MAC, I can boot from the USB fine, but get no drives when trying to install .pat. I've tried compiling the .ko for hpsa, and replacing the extra disk, but that didn't help, still doesn't seem to have a disk to install to. I saw someone mention you had to have at least one SATA drive attached to the motherboard, is that true?  This board only has two MOLEX type connectors for the backplane (only one is in use, since this server only has one backplane).

Anyways, I'm stuck.  Should I get a different SATA adapter, instead of the P410i?

Capture.PNG

Edited by rippencroger
Added picture

16 hours ago, rippencroger said:

I'm trying to bring it up on a HP DL360 G6 with a P410i on the board, one disk set to RAID 0 and with Jun's 1.01, I've carefully modified the grub.cfg with USB IDs and set SN and MAC, I can boot from the USB fine, but get no drives when trying to install .pat. I've tried compiling the .ko for hpsa, and replacing the extra disk, but that didn't help, still doesn't seem to have a disk to install to. I saw someone mention you had to have at least one SATA drive attached to the motherboard, is that true?  This board only has two MOLEX type connectors for the backplane (only one is in use, since this server only has one backplane).

Anyways, I'm stuck.  Should I get a different SATA adapter, instead of the P410i?

You said you compiled the hpsa.ko module. Did you add the module to the extra/usr/lib/modules directory and also edited the the rc.modules file under extra/etc to include the module?

In order to see what is happening during boot you should use a serial cable from your server to another computer and use a serial terminal to see what is happening. Search the forum for how to do and post the logs here afterwards.

Time for a word of thanks to all those who have contributed to this.

I finally upgraded from 5.2 -> 6.02-> 6.13. following mostly everything that has been posted in the previous pages. A couple of things of note.

I used a Win10 tablet to directly edit the CONFIG file on the USB stick. the whole OSMOUNT thing and all that rig ma-roll was not required.

Basically: RUFUS to make the USB drive using the Jun 1.xx IMG as input

Insert USB Stick into Win10 system and use Notepad++ to edit the CONFIG file. As per instructions, changed VID, PID, SN & MAC1 & MAC2.

Power down DSM, swap USB sticks, power up and wait about 5 mins after the happy hacking msg.

used find.synology.com/# and follow the bread crumbs from there.

Cheers

MF

On 07/09/2017 at 5:47 AM, Polanskiman said:

I just notice this post. Thanks for you're help, but it's not seem to work (i try each lzma).

So i found an old 3C905 PCI card at work (i was in vacation last week), so i add it to the computer for testing purpose only, and disable the on-board LAN. Then edit the Grub file to add the MAC adress of the 3COM, and reboot (i test these 2 files, and the original one). Same result, can't be detected.

The only thing that work for me now is the VMWare Workstation loader on this computer... I was expecting the LAN CARD driver, but it's not seem to be the case (i was wrong), so it's something else !

So i get to the BIOS, and disable all core of the CPU, except Core 1 and 2 (so now, i have a 2 CORE CPU), and re-perform the test with the 3C905 card... same result, not working.

So i de-activate the SVM (because i remember that i set this option to ON because i'm using VmWare on this computer). No result (cant find it with the Synology Assistant or the find.synology.com web)

Now, the next test i think i will do, is to change the video card (it's a hudge nVidia Card) with a cheap basic one... 

I try to install uBuntu from a USB stick and it didn't work, so my next bet is the GPU !

Now, i reboot in Win10, and start the VM (i actually use the VM version). Anyone know if i connect a USB UPS to the VM, is the VMWare version of Synology will see it ?

Edited by Banshee1971
revise it... add new info

On 9/12/2017 at 5:34 AM, manfriday said:

Time for a word of thanks to all those who have contributed to this.

I finally upgraded from 5.2 -> 6.02-> 6.13. following mostly everything that has been posted in the previous pages. A couple of things of note.

I used a Win10 tablet to directly edit the CONFIG file on the USB stick. the whole OSMOUNT thing and all that rig ma-roll was not required.

Basically: RUFUS to make the USB drive using the Jun 1.xx IMG as input

Insert USB Stick into Win10 system and use Notepad++ to edit the CONFIG file. As per instructions, changed VID, PID, SN & MAC1 & MAC2.

Power down DSM, swap USB sticks, power up and wait about 5 mins after the happy hacking msg.

used find.synology.com/# and follow the bread crumbs from there.

Cheers

MF

Thanks for the feedback. It would be best if you could provide your hardware specifications so it can serve other users with the same hardware than you.

On Windows 10 one can natively mount the usb with the image already burnt into it thus bypassing the OSFMount process. With older Windows versions it is not possible thus the necessity of using OSFMount if one wishes to edit the image prior burning it. Strictly speaking it is not even necessary to edit the image as one can also add the vid/pid, sn, mac and sataportmap information directly from the Grub Boot Menu which I have mentioned in the tutorial.

2 hours ago, Banshee1971 said:

I just notice this post. Thanks for you're help, but it's not seem to work (i try each lzma).

So i found an old 3C905 PCI card at work (i was in vacation last week), so i add it to the computer for testing purpose only, and disable the on-board LAN. Then edit the Grub file to add the MAC adress of the 3COM, and reboot (i test these 2 files, and the original one). Same result, can't be detected.

The only thing that work for me now is the VMWare Workstation loader on this computer... I was expecting the LAN CARD driver, but it's not seem to be the case (i was wrong), so it's something else !

So i get to the BIOS, and disable all core of the CPU, except Core 1 and 2 (so now, i have a 2 CORE CPU), and re-perform the test with the 3C905 card... same result, not working.

So i de-activate the SVM (because i remember that i set this option to ON because i'm using VmWare on this computer). No result (cant find it with the Synology Assistant or the find.synology.com web)

Now, the next test i think i will do, is to change the video card (it's a hudge nVidia Card) with a cheap basic one... 

I try to install uBuntu from a USB stick and it didn't work, so my next bet is the GPU !

Now, i reboot in Win10, and start the VM (i actually use the VM version). Anyone know if i connect a USB UPS to the VM, is the VMWare version of Synology will see it ?

Did you run ubuntu as advised and checked what modules are loading with the RTL8111E?

HI

I am trying the install on a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD motherboard, having AMD AM3 Phenom II. The NIC on board are a pair of Realtek 8111D and I have added a PCI TP-Link gigabit network adapter. I selected AMD from menu and it even booted to exactly the same screen as shown in the screenshot but It doesnt appear in find.synology.com or using the Synology Assistant.

Any help ?  

2 hours ago, jobinjv said:

HI

I am trying the install on a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD motherboard, having AMD AM3 Phenom II. The NIC on board are a pair of Realtek 8111D and I have added a PCI TP-Link gigabit network adapter. I selected AMD from menu and it even booted to exactly the same screen as shown in the screenshot but It doesnt appear in find.synology.com or using the Synology Assistant.

Any help ?  

The module used by that NIC should be r8169 which is included in the loader. Can you please try this extra.lzma ramdisk and tell me if it works:

extra8168deac.lzma 3.9 MB https://mega.nz/#!DQxzlDJA!AY0XYDS6ywnlDVPCov0a_nQNfmBhk48xW0i8bNjU04I

HI

Im running DSM 5.2-5967 on an Asrock j3710 board with intel processor (same as on ds916+).

Should i use the Arcao v2 loader or the Jun 1.01 loader when upgrading to 6.02. How long can the arcao loader be upgradet too, if thats the one i'm supposed to use ?.

With the match on ds916 and my hardware i think i should change to the 916 from 3615 when getting past 6.02, but the exel thing has not got any support for this model. Can it run with serial from 3615 ?

20 hours ago, NightSmoker said:

HI

Im running DSM 5.2-5967 on an Asrock j3710 board with intel processor (same as on ds916+).

Should i use the Arcao v2 loader or the Jun 1.01 loader when upgrading to 6.02. How long can the arcao loader be upgradet too, if thats the one i'm supposed to use ?.

With the match on ds916 and my hardware i think i should change to the 916 from 3615 when getting past 6.02, but the exel thing has not got any support for this model. Can it run with serial from 3615 ?

Arcao's loader is deprecated. Use Jun's loader.

For the serial number, it will not matter much I think although I can't confirm that.

Just test and install on a spare drive and let us know how it goes.

8 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

The module used by that NIC should be r8169 which is included in the loader. Can you please try this extra.lzma ramdisk and tell me if it works:

extra8168deac.lzma 3.9 MB https://mega.nz/#!DQxzlDJA!AY0XYDS6ywnlDVPCov0a_nQNfmBhk48xW0i8bNjU04I

I tried both the ramdisks

Still the same. Not able to discover the NAS. 

15 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Thanks for the feedback. It would be best if you could provide your hardware specifications so it can serve other users with the same hardware than you.

On Windows 10 one can natively mount the usb with the image already burnt into it thus bypassing the OSFMount process. With older Windows versions it is not possible thus the necessity of using OSFMount if one wishes to edit the image prior burning it. Strictly speaking it is not even necessary to edit the image as one can also add the vid/pid, sn, mac and sataportmap information directly from the Grub Boot Menu which I have mentioned in the tutorial.

All upgrades and net new installs performed on Baremetal systems, all systems are Intel Atom based CPU's

Process was tried and tested on a couple of different systems before final push to Prod.

Step 1. Clean install on Zotac NM10-DTX. Used the "Enter C at Grub Menu" method to input VID,PID,SN & MAC1. Did not need to do SATAPORTMAP. MB comes with 6xSATA on one controller. Network attached via Ethernet.

Took 3x3TB drives from a system that was DSM5.2. This system originally had 3x2TB and 3x3TB drives. I used the 3x3TB drives and booted up and away we go. did a clean install with 2 of the 3 drives and system came up. I then followed the youtude vid to sudo and ad admin to root in order to use WINSCP to mod the config file to add SHR RAID option back. Added last 3TB drive as Hybrid SHR. All the previous settings from DSM5.2 were still live. Well that saved a lot of time.

Step 2.Upgrade Zotac IONITX-E (nVidia MCPP7A-ION Chipset) based system using the 3X2TB drives drom that DSM5.2 box. Again used "Enter C at Grub Menu" method to input VID,PID,SN & MAC1. No issues other than both the system from Step1 and Step2 had the same IP address as the original DSN5.2 was set to manual DHCP.

The original LAN port either died or the chipset is not supported so I opted for a cheap 2port NIC (IO Crest Dual RJ45 Gigabit Port NIC PCIe X1 Ethernet Network Card Component (SY-PEX24028)

Turned on WOL and made sure BIOS allowed for WOL too. WOL works!!

Step 3. Upgrade the real DSM5.2 system to 6.0.2 (ASRock AD2550R/U3S3 Mini ITX Server Motherboard DDR3 1066) with 2x4TB 3x5TB HDD all on 2nd SATA controller

Build USB drive with RUFUS with Jun 1.01

Edit drive on Win10 tablet to make VID,PID,SN &MAC1/2 . Did not change/add/mod SATAPORTMAP.

System booted. Found system with find.synology.com/#. Migrated to 6.02. Performed all updates to Installed Packages and system upgrades, no issues.

Made new USB drive with Jun 1.02b and migrate to DSM6.1.3, perform update and all is right with the DSM world

• Like 1

fails at 56%  DSM install, file might be broken (13), tryed different dsm same story

What do you mean different DSM? 3617xs and 916+?

The error i get should be related to wrong PID or VID (as far as i can find out), but they are set as they should be (see  attached image). Any ideas ?

Udklip.JPG.2ca80178e86da8260cb20e36e55c3c4c.JPG

Try the force install menu line. You can also try with another usb key.