XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

On 7/27/2017 at 0:05 AM, maxime said:

Hi! If I want to integrate "append SataPortMap=XX" (22 in my case) in grub.cfg, in whitch line I've to put it? thanks!

16 hours ago, maxime said:

None can help me?!?

Look into the grub.cfg file:

[...]

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0'

[...]

Simply change 1 with 22 or the appropriate number.

Alternatively you can also read the OP again and follow the instructions in Note 5:

On 10/28/2016 at 11:18 PM, Polanskiman said:

Note 5: If your encounter the error "We've detected errors on your hard drives [drive number] and the SATA ports have also been disabled" during installation, try the Force Install menu entry in the Grub Boot Menu. If this does not work then you have to fallback to adding SataPortMap to the grub environment. Press the letter 'C' at the Grub Boot Menu and then add the following:

append SataPortMap=XX

where XX is the number of drives. Don’t forget to update this parameter if you add additional drives to your machine.

If you use Force Install, don't forget to re-select the first line of the Boot Menu once the NAS has rebooted after the installation else the Loader will re-select Force Install and you will be faced with some issues so please beware of this.

I use the Main G41T-M LX 3 Plus.
I created usb as instructed, got booted to black screen. I can not see my nas via find.synology.com or Synology Assistant. Although using the extra.lzma ramdisk. Do not know if this 6.02 boot has LAN port support on this motherboard?
If not, can anyone help me add drivers? Thanks

I use loader 1.01.

Edited by nqn_vnn

2 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Look into the grub.cfg file:

Simply change 1 with 22 or the appropriate number.

Alternatively you can also read the OP again and follow the instructions in Note 5:

Thank you! I prefer edit the grup.cfg file 

On 1.8.2017 at 3:51 PM, nqn_vnn said:

sorry ...yes, the screen is completely black. Maybe loader 1.01 not support my lan onboard. I will post at request driver.

P/s: I speak enlighs not good.

no, if the sceen simply stays black it does not boot at all, to load lan driver it has at least to start the linux kernel and the kernel start will write to screen like "decompressing linux" and "booting the kernel"

so check bios settings if it realy trys to boot from usb, check if the bootstick is realy bootable after writing it (another compzter)

• Like 1

I'm jumping in to migrate from 5.2 to 6.1 with 1.02b loader, I've come to the step where i'm able to see the nas and I'm presented with the screen stating this and the button "Install".
I was expecting a migration option there. If I press "Install" does it automatically install most recent DSM? What should I do?

We have detected that the hard disks of your current DS3615xs have been moved from an earlier DS3615xs, and installing a newer DSM is required before proceeding.

Tried to reboot and choose the "reinstall" option from boot menu but still no option to migrate. I do not dare to press "Install" as I'm afraid to wipe out my drives.

Edited by mattail

I updated after putting it off for so long from 5.0 -->5.2 --> 6.02.

No major issues except the data volume was not available in 5.2.

I could see that it was fine data wise in the OS so I just continued with the update and once in 6.0.2 all was good.

All applications, users and settings was 100% functional. I'd already bought a PCI-e USB card for the UPS and this worked fine too.

I'm now on 6.0.2 update7 on both my N54Ls and the 4Tb USB HDD I used to backup my primary data is now in the secondary after removing it from the case.

I also have a remote ESXi 6.0.2 DSM which I copied over my data to using USB and after a bit of messing around have the Shared folder replication working.

Tip - If you want to preload your data, DSM will want to ignore it so run the sync script and allow it to create the new shared folder on the destination, cancel it on the source then delete the new share e.g. photo. Rename your shared folder with prepopulated data from photo_1 to photo, re-apply share and file permission including resetting on all subfolders and files then re-run the sync task and it should now work and take a fraction of the time it would have.

This also works if you want to have a shared folder on volume 2.

Hi Polanskiman

I am trying to test dsm 6.0.2, the problem is the network card that does not recognize it. I have noticed that I am not the only one that has a problem with the Atheros PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet AR8131, AR8151, AR813x, AR815x.
I have tried adding extra.lzma but nothing.
Using an Ugreen usb lan adapter ASIX AX88179 works well.

these modules atl1c.ko  alx are included?

May be an error in the extra.lzma?? Any idea which way to go?

Thanks

Lan: Atheros PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet AR8131

I have a barebone Foxconn nt330i
CPU Intel Atom Dual Core 330, FSB 533 1.60GHZ 
Chipset nVIDIA MCP7A-ION

With xpenoboot 5.2-5967 ethernet lan  works and I can install xpenology.
Instead with Jun's loader 1.02b ethernet lan doesn't work and I can't install xpenology.

There is a way to add lan driver?

On 8/12/2017 at 2:57 AM, mattail said:

I'm jumping in to migrate from 5.2 to 6.1 with 1.02b loader, I've come to the step where i'm able to see the nas and I'm presented with the screen stating this and the button "Install".
I was expecting a migration option there. If I press "Install" does it automatically install most recent DSM? What should I do?

We have detected that the hard disks of your current DS3615xs have been moved from an earlier DS3615xs, and installing a newer DSM is required before proceeding.

Tried to reboot and choose the "reinstall" option from boot menu but still no option to migrate. I do not dare to press "Install" as I'm afraid to wipe out my drives.

Have you read the post I made 2 posts before yours?

Press install and you will migrate.

12 hours ago, adeej said:

I have a barebone Foxconn nt330i
CPU Intel Atom Dual Core 330, FSB 533 1.60GHZ 
Chipset nVIDIA MCP7A-ION

With xpenoboot 5.2-5967 ethernet lan  works and I can install xpenology.
Instead with Jun's loader 1.02b ethernet lan doesn't work and I can't install xpenology.

There is a way to add lan driver?

Have you read the post I made twice in red in this same page? This topic is for v1.01 not v1.02. Read the title and OP as well.

I suppose you need the forcedeth module for your Lan to be detected as it is not included natively in Jun's loader. Search the forum

Hello all.

So it;s the first time I try to install xpenology and I started with this tutorial.

Setup: an old Lenovo m58p

My problem:

I get to the install part, it says "We've detected errors on your hard drives [drive number] and the SATA ports have also been disabled "

I tried the force install, after restart if I select normal boot, I get the same error.

I looked at the sata interfaces on the MB and I have sata1 and sata2

so I added: SataPortMap=1 (I only have an old HDD connected at sata1)

No I always get the msg: "We detected that you had moved the hard drive to a new DS3615xs. Please click recover ...."

I click recover but get the same msg after each restart...

help?

I'm trying to get this to work on a ESXI 6.5 on a Gen8.

My VM is configured as UEFI - Other Linux 3.x 64bit

And I changed sn and mac in the grub.cfg (not sure where to get vid and pid from)

However, the only thing I get on boot is "unsuccessful" when trying to boot from the cd mounted img file.

Hi:

I've upgraded my Synology set-up and followed the tutorial to the letter, I think, on an HP N54L, and all goes well as far as "Booting the kernel...", but then I can't find my NAS on the network using the find.synology tool. I'm presuming this is a serial/ MAC issue, but I've tried generating a serial number from the link above, and used the NIC mac address, so i'm not sure what I've done wrong. I've definitely used the AMD 4th option in the grub menu...

Oh...checking through some old install files, it's possible I updated from 5.1 (Trantor) rather than 5.2- could this be the cause?

I'd be really grateful for any advice...

On ‎17‎-‎8‎-‎2017 at 10:44 AM, nano said:

I'm trying to get this to work on a ESXI 6.5 on a Gen8.

My VM is configured as UEFI - Other Linux 3.x 64bit

And I changed sn and mac in the grub.cfg (not sure where to get vid and pid from)

However, the only thing I get on boot is "unsuccessful" when trying to boot from the cd mounted img file.

I have got the same question.

VMware setup - No problem

But how to load the .img or howto load the .iso file.

Earlier bootloaders where .ovf files including vmdk's.   For Jun's 1.02b boot loader there's an .iso and a .img.

How do I get such a image file in a new virtual machine?

PS. I already red al lot of posts (I think in time, all of this thread) but I don't remember to see this solution anywhere  (but probably i'm bllnd)

Thanks in regards.

14 hours ago, worldofdrane said:

Hi:

I've upgraded my Synology set-up and followed the tutorial to the letter, I think, on an HP N54L, and all goes well as far as "Booting the kernel...", but then I can't find my NAS on the network using the find.synology tool. I'm presuming this is a serial/ MAC issue, but I've tried generating a serial number from the link above, and used the NIC mac address, so i'm not sure what I've done wrong. I've definitely used the AMD 4th option in the grub menu...

Oh...checking through some old install files, it's possible I updated from 5.1 (Trantor) rather than 5.2- could this be the cause?

I'd be really grateful for any advice...

As mentioned in the tutorial:

If you are currently using DSM 5.1 or below first update to DSM 5.2. If you are doing a fresh install of DSM 6.0 then carry on with the tutorial and omit references to DSM 5.2.

So far people who have updated their HP N54L from DSM 5.2 to DSM 6.0.2 didn't have major issues. 

If you plug your Xpenoboot loader again you should normally be able to boot again under DSM 5.1. Now update to DSM 5.2 making sure to use the proper loader for 5.2 (try using this one). Then use Jun's loader v1.01 and update to DSM 6.0.2.

On 8/17/2017 at 2:20 AM, danny2001k said:

Hello all.

So it;s the first time I try to install xpenology and I started with this tutorial.

Setup: an old Lenovo m58p

My problem:

I get to the install part, it says "We've detected errors on your hard drives [drive number] and the SATA ports have also been disabled "

I tried the force install, after restart if I select normal boot, I get the same error.

I looked at the sata interfaces on the MB and I have sata1 and sata2

so I added: SataPortMap=1 (I only have an old HDD connected at sata1)

No I always get the msg: "We detected that you had moved the hard drive to a new DS3615xs. Please click recover ...."

I click recover but get the same msg after each restart...

help?

If you don't have any data then wipe the drive and try installing again. This time instead of using find.synology.com use the Synology Assistant application.

On 8/22/2017 at 4:56 PM, Polanskiman said:

As mentioned in the tutorial:

If you are currently using DSM 5.1 or below first update to DSM 5.2. If you are doing a fresh install of DSM 6.0 then carry on with the tutorial and omit references to DSM 5.2.

So far people who have updated their HP N54L from DSM 5.2 to DSM 6.0.2 didn't have major issues. 

If you plug your Xpenoboot loader again you should normally be able to boot again under DSM 5.1. Now update to DSM 5.2 making sure to use the proper loader for 5.2 (try using this one). Then use Jun's loader v1.01 and update to DSM 6.0.2.

Many thanks for the response, and huge apologies- don't know how I missed that. Must drive you mad...!

I downgraded to 5.1 without a hitch- will have another go later.

i have a quite old mainboard the Intel Atom 330 D945GCLF2

it does not boot with this loader, it seams that the loader just contains the EFI stuff.

im looking and trying since a long time to get drive sleep but its not working.

anyone has some ideas how i can solve that?

cheers