XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Hi everyone,

Running DSM just fine on my N3150 board. Now I'm looking into adding more disks but only have 2 onboard sata interfaces. I can add a sata raid controller using my PCI x1 interface but I'm wondering which hardware is supported on this 6.0 firmware. Does the compatible hardware list on the main site still apply here? All suggestions more then welcome!

Edit: running with Jun 1.01

Thanks

Did some checking and found some pci-e x1 cards with Marvell 88SE9128 and 88SE9230 chipset. Is any supported, did a search here but found no statements.

https://www.alternate.be/Digitus/SATAII ... 28?lk=8969

Thankz

I have been trying to make this one to work SYBA PCI-Express SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card (Chipset: Marvell 88SE9215)

on my system with out luck.

it is recognized at boot i can attach hard drive, mount a volume to it and at the first reboot it is gone it won't show up any more. I have been trying to find help in here but not luck jet

good luck to you.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hello all,

I tried installation documented by the OP. The installation process finishes and everything seems to be good.

After reboot Web GUI says that I need to migrate (the only choice). I then let it migrate, system reboots and offers recovery, again - the only choice on the Web GUI.

When recovery completes and system reboots I'm again offered recovery as the only option. It it a never ending cycle...

The specs are:

Dell Vostro 270 Minitower

CPU I3-3220

Baremetal Install

Integrated NIC Realtek 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Realtek RTL8111G

Storage SATA 2.0 (Intel chipset B75, not sure what the actual controller is though, sorry)

Issue: Can't install DSM6

Thank you in advance

Hi guys,

I've just installed DSM 6.0 with the great tutorial on the first page.

Thanks a lot, it was really easy.

I've a question:

I'm using an Xeon 1240 in my HP Microserver Gen 8 which is cooled by an active fan if the temperature is higher than 55°C.

Is it necessary to use the Intel PowerSavingScript?

I am wondering that the processor-fan is runnig a lot more than with DSM 5.2?!?!?!

Any idea?

Someone have an idea why APC UPS is not detected by DSM.

I plugged on USB port on my N40L.

If i check /var/log, anything....

I am not sure all USB ports are enabled with this loader.

If i plug USB drive on the front, nothing... But behind it's ok.

Edited by Guest

Hi!

I use this motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA- ... -rev-13#sp

and i cant get dsm 6 loader work with this (cannot find nothing in dsm finder) i dont know how i can see some log in console directly or log file somewhere?

I try with old 5 bootloader and then i see.... so i thik maybe there are some drivers problem?

maybe some user have same motherboard or someone can just help me out here.

Wiht best regards!

Marko.

I am the test server which is long launched didn't hold, and last night decided to leave and here that it showed me through approximately half of days of operation 6.1.

At first booted, but began to show errors different and it:

And then showed it:

Total:

GA-N3150N-D3V - 6.1 was got and how many and that works hours.

ASRock E3C226D2I - 6.1 - isn't got absolutely (network interface cards, and it is possible and controllers aren't loaded).

As I said in my previous post, please post anything related to 6.1 and jun v1.02a loader on the main thread.

Hi,

I have the same problem, about 24 hours after when I login to the NAS flag a page not found.

After reinstalling firmware everything is ok. When this problem occurs I can not login to web manage NAS, but Photostaion and Surveillan station

normaly run is possible login.

I understand that the loader is ALFA :smile:

just for info.

bye czGif

Hi everyone,

Running DSM just fine on my N3150 board. Now I'm looking into adding more disks but only have 2 onboard sata interfaces. I can add a sata raid controller using my PCI x1 interface but I'm wondering which hardware is supported on this 6.0 firmware. Does the compatible hardware list on the main site still apply here? All suggestions more then welcome!

Edit: running with Jun 1.01

Thanks

Did some checking and found some pci-e x1 cards with Marvell 88SE9128 and 88SE9230 chipset. Is any supported, did a search here but found no statements.

https://www.alternate.be/Digitus/SATAII ... 28?lk=8969

Thankz

I have been trying to make this one to work SYBA PCI-Express SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card (Chipset: Marvell 88SE9215)

on my system with out luck.

it is recognized at boot i can attach hard drive, mount a volume to it and at the first reboot it is gone it won't show up any more. I have been trying to find help in here but not luck jet

good luck to you.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Not sure those drivers are included or at best up to date. Make a search the main thread see if others have had luck with that hardware.

Hello all,

I tried installation documented by the OP. The installation process finishes and everything seems to be good.

After reboot Web GUI says that I need to migrate (the only choice). I then let it migrate, system reboots and offers recovery, again - the only choice on the Web GUI.

When recovery completes and system reboots I'm again offered recovery as the only option. It it a never ending cycle...

The specs are:

CPU I3-3220

Baremetal Install

Storage SATA 2.0 (Intel chipset B75, not sure what the actual controller is though, sorry)

Thank you in advance

The driver of that NIC is included in the loader so I don't think that's the problem. For the rest it looks good. Have you tried a re-install or force install? Also make sure your bios is configured properly and that your HDDs are connected successively to the SATA port starting from SATA0 or whatever that may be for your hardware.

I recommend doing a test install on a blank drive see how that goes.

Hi guys,

I've just installed DSM 6.0 with the great tutorial on the first page.

Thanks a lot, it was really easy.

I've a question:

I'm using an Xeon 1240 in my HP Microserver Gen 8 which is cooled by an active fan if the temperature is higher than 55°C.

Is it necessary to use the Intel PowerSavingScript?

I am wondering that the processor-fan is runnig a lot more than with DSM 5.2?!?!?!

Any idea?

I recommend it yes. That will save you some energy and perhaps unnecessary noise. It's up to you.

ordimans said:
Someone have an idea why APC UPS is not detected by DSM.

I plugged on USB port on my N40L.

If i check /var/log, anything....

I am not sure all USB ports are enabled with this loader.

If i plug USB drive on the front, nothing... But behind it's ok.

Have you looked at the Bios for usb enabling/disabling features?

Not sure about the N40L usb front ports version but have a read at this: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-6xx-loader/?do=findComment&comment=57523

For your UPS it might be because usb 1.1 are not part of the loader and I think that's what your UPS is build with. Might be wrong though. Try as the link above says using a usb 2 hub.

Hi!

I use this motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA- ... -rev-13#sp

and i cant get dsm 6 loader work with this (cannot find nothing in dsm finder) i dont know how i can see some log in console directly or log file somewhere?

I try with old 5 bootloader and then i see.... so i thik maybe there are some drivers problem?

maybe some user have same motherboard or someone can just help me out here.

Wiht best regards!

Marko.

Well not sure anyone has tried with that motherboard before but looking at the specs it seems fine to me. The drivers of the NIC of that board are included so network wise it should be fine. You can try doing a test install on a blank drive before trying it on your current box. PLEASE read the tutorial carefully before attempting anything. Make sure you select the AMD install line on the Grub menu as your CPU is an AMD.

What is your hardware? Network controller? Motherboard? The more info you give the more the community can help.

In the end I thought I'd try a fresh install using the same new USB key but a blank data drive, as a test. This failed too, in a similar but different way. Instead of going in to a 'recover' loop, it ended up repeatedly going through the install loop - uploading g the pat file etc. After a reboot it would do the same again.

I figured at this point it was something to do with my USB stick. What I had done was to not set the correct MAC addresses when I set the PID/VID. I assumed that they were only if you wanted to use use the Synology DDNS type features.I had left them set to the default values. As soon as I entered the correct MAC values for my hardware it all seemed to go ok - The clean install worked just by rebooting (It had obviously installed ok) and I also managed to the use this to recover the data from my previous 5.2 install.

I've never seen it flagged here that it is important to set the MAC addresses correctly. Maybe it was just a coincidence?

Andy.

Hello,

As soon as I entered the correct MAC values for my hardware

What do you mean by correct MAC? I'm using the same MAC that worked for 5.2 install. However 6 fails with infinite recovery.

Thanks a lot!

I'm now using the actual hardware MAC that is baked into the network interface rather than the default one that was in the grub config file.

What is your hardware? Network controller? Motherboard? The more info you give the more the community can help.

In the end I thought I'd try a fresh install using the same new USB key but a blank data drive, as a test. This failed too, in a similar but different way. Instead of going in to a 'recover' loop, it ended up repeatedly going through the install loop - uploading g the pat file etc. After a reboot it would do the same again.

I figured at this point it was something to do with my USB stick. What I had done was to not set the correct MAC addresses when I set the PID/VID. I assumed that they were only if you wanted to use use the Synology DDNS type features.I had left them set to the default values. As soon as I entered the correct MAC values for my hardware it all seemed to go ok - The clean install worked just by rebooting (It had obviously installed ok) and I also managed to the use this to recover the data from my previous 5.2 install.

I've never seen it flagged here that it is important to set the MAC addresses correctly. Maybe it was just a coincidence?

Andy.

Good that you got your issue sorted out. Never heard of the MAC address being responsible of an install loop though. I have made countless installations with that default mac address withouth any issues. Might be something with your specific hardware perhaps.

There is actually no need of using a paired mac/serial number to use ddns. Using the MAC address of your NIC like you did is enough. Instead of using Quickconnect simply use the ddns function of DSM and it will do the exact same thing.

Edited by Guest

I see, I will give it a try, even though I need synology integration. So this won't work long term. Thanks a lot for replying.

If by integration you mean raping Synology by using QuickConnect then there is actually no need for that and I strongly discourage it. Quickconnect is a service solely provided for its customers and using it with an Xpenology box is a violation of their services. You can use instead a custom ddns and Synology has integrated that to DSM.

Great idea (about using a custom ddns, is there one someone could recommend?)!

Thank you!

On a different note - I've been trying to install DSM6 for some time now. It had always failed. I've read through two 200+ pages threads and, of course - this one. While reading through one of the threads I noticed someone mentioning something along these lines "... try IDE instead of AHCI and you'll be surprised..." It sounded silly at best and was ignored for the most part. Anyway, having hit the wall in any and all of my attempts (including two posts on this forum asking for help that went un-answered - it's no problem, I understand how difficult the situation is) I decided to give a try.... It worked. I installed Jun's 1.01 on ATA! I have not tested it in any meaningful way... It installs and reboots. Even SMART test runs and completes without issues. I'll check back later and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for being here, offering help and providing all this invaluable information and coding effort.

Thank you!

On a different note - I've been trying to install DSM6 for some time now. It had always failed. I've read through two 200+ pages threads and, of course - this one. While reading through one of the threads I noticed someone mentioning something along these lines "... try IDE instead of AHCI and you'll be surprised..." It sounded silly at best and was ignored for the most part. Anyway, having hit the wall in any and all of my attempts (including two posts on this forum asking for help that went un-answered - it's no problem, I understand how difficult the situation is) I decided to give it a try.... It worked. I installed Jun's 1.01 on ATA! I have not tested it in any meaningful way... It installs and reboots. Even SMART test runs and completes without issues. I'll check back later and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for being here, offering help and providing all this invaluable information and coding effort.

Thank you!

On a different note - I've been trying to install DSM6 for some time now. It had always failed. I've read through two 200+ pages threads and, of course - this one. While reading through one of the threads I noticed someone mentioning something along these lines "... try IDE instead of AHCI and you'll be surprised..." It sounded silly at best and was ignored for the most part. Anyway, having hit the wall in any and all of my attempts (including two posts on this forum asking for help that went un-answered - it's no problem, I understand how difficult the situation is) I decided to give a try.... It worked. I installed Jun's 1.01 on ATA! I have not tested it in any meaningful way... It installs and reboots. Even SMART test runs and completes without issues. I'll check back later and let you all know how it goes.

I made a post on how to configure ddns on the equivalant french tutorial. I added some pictures so that it was easy to follow. You can make a search.

What is your hardware by the way?

Thank you,

I'm not sure I'll be able to find it since I don't speak french.

My hardware:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7507-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-602-juns-loader/?do=findComment&comment=64931

The specs are:

CPU I3-3220

Baremetal Install