XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

20 hours ago, IG-88 said:

did you try to selct the first uefi partion for boot (not the device)?

you can also try to search the forum for "uefi partition" and will find things like this

I have now tried everything, tried with all three partitions as priority nr1, tried different USB ports (both 2.0 and 3.0), and compared the BIOS settings with the working computer (both ASUS MB).

The last thing I can think of is trying a different USB flashdrive and see if it works better. Other then that, I'm stuck!

Okey, so I tried installing Linux Mint and that booted just fine with the USB stick. So it must have something to do with the combination of the software and the motherboard/cpu. Forgive my lack of knowlegde but the hardware support comes from the extra.izma file, correct? Is there a list that I have missed of what hardware is supported?

16 hours ago, Nick said:

Okey, so I tried installing Linux Mint and that booted just fine with the USB stick. So it must have something to do with the combination of the software and the motherboard/cpu. Forgive my lack of knowlegde but the hardware support comes from the extra.izma file, correct? Is there a list that I have missed of what hardware is supported?

I had a look at your motherboard's specs (http://www.balticdata.lv/Gfx/ProductFiles/P4661-E8425_H81I_PLUS.pdf) and by the looks of it that board seems pretty much compatible in every way. However there seems to be a lot of options in the usb and booting sections. You might want to look into the bios options. Also you might want to update the bios if there is any update available.

Not, having that motherboard in hands it is difficult to troubleshoot but something is certain, the usb is not booting and there is potentially many reasons why it is not booting:

1 - your bios is incorrectly configured;

2 - there might be a problem with the usb drive(s);

3 - the image is not properly burned on the usb drive;

4 - etc etc

If I was you I would start by resetting the bios and updating it. Then disable any superfluous options in the bios. Just keep the basic and make sure you are booting from the USB. Also try other usb ports and make sure to use a usb 2.0 port, not usb 3.0.

If nothing works then try with jun's loader v1.02b (the image made by Genesys). It's in the this tutorial

This is something you might also want to try: https://www.all4os.com/windows/disable-asus-motherboards-uefi-secure-boot.html

Good day! I installed the new device according to the instructions.
After each reboot of the DSM, a new MAC and IP address are obtained. So it should be? I tried to register the device, but because MAC changes all the time it does not help. In the file grub.cfg I set my real MAC.

21 hours ago, mazay said:

Good day! I installed the new device according to the instructions.
After each reboot of the DSM, a new MAC and IP address are obtained. So it should be? I tried to register the device, but because MAC changes all the time it does not help. In the file grub.cfg I set my real MAC.

Make sure the MAC is correctly written.

Not sure what you mean by "register the devise". If you are referring to registering the devise with Synology then that's a no no. No need.

On 2017-10-06 at 11:53 AM, Polanskiman said:

I had a look at your motherboard's specs (http://www.balticdata.lv/Gfx/ProductFiles/P4661-E8425_H81I_PLUS.pdf) and by the looks of it that board seems pretty much compatible in every way. However there seems to be a lot of options in the usb and booting sections. You might want to look into the bios options. Also you might want to update the bios if there is any update available.

Not, having that motherboard in hands it is difficult to troubleshoot but something is certain, the usb is not booting and there is potentially many reasons why it is not booting:

1 - your bios is incorrectly configured;

2 - there might be a problem with the usb drive(s);

3 - the image is not properly burned on the usb drive;

4 - etc etc

If I was you I would start by resetting the bios and updating it. Then disable any superfluous options in the bios. Just keep the basic and make sure you are booting from the USB. Also try other usb ports and make sure to use a usb 2.0 port, not usb 3.0.

If nothing works then try with jun's loader v1.02b (the image made by Genesys). It's in the this tutorial

This is something you might also want to try: https://www.all4os.com/windows/disable-asus-motherboards-uefi-secure-boot.html

Can't believe I didn't think to check for a BIOS update. Thank you, that made the boot work! :smile:

Now onto to next problem, after I try the Force install (I get the "detected errors" message) the installation won't find the NAS no more. I have tried switching to the normal boot when it restarts and I have tried keeping it on Force install but still the same issue. The countdown goes down to 0 and I get an error message. If I go back to find.mysynology.com I can still connect to it and if I have it in Force install boot it says something about "Recreate", instead of "Install".

If I boot it normally I still get the "detected errors" message.

I'm thinking of trying the SataPortMap instead of Force install but I'm not sure if I have two or one Sata controller. I have three disks where two are connected to the Sata3 ports and one in one of the two Sata2 ports. I'm guessing I should go with SataPortMap21 then?

3 hours ago, alefados said:

hi to everyone!thanks for the guide. all good with the loader but i have this problem could you please help me how to solve it?

i haven't any problem with dsm 5.2

Check Note 5 in the tutorial:

"If your encounter the error "We've detected errors on your hard drives [drive number] and the SATA ports have also been disabled" during installation, try the Force Install menu entry in the Grub Boot Menu."

20 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Try using Synology Assistant instead.

I tried that too but got the same problem that it doesn’t continue after the countdown. If I do another search it still finds the unit but with the same ”recoverable” status. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Polanskiman: Thanks for the great tutorial on page 1 migration works like a charm from DSM 5xx to DSM 6.0.2-8451.

In the DSM Update section there is an update to 6.1.3 - 15.152. You warned that with this loader this is not possible.

Can you please tell we how I can update to 6.1.3 - 15.152? Perhaps there is a own tutorial which I have not found yet?

Thanks and best regards

Stefan

@Polanskiman

@felix_w

I tried this tutorial, changed vid and pid verything I did as  described in the tutorial 5.2 to 6.0.2 but the the diskstation can not be found after booting. Even does not get an IP from my router. Tried this with serval USB stick, even changed the extra.lzma I used for the 5.2 to 6.0.2 migratin because the extra.lzma for 6.1.3 is down. No success

The only thing I have not changed (and have not changed in the 5.2 to 6.0.2 step, because it worked from the scratch) is the MAC. What MaC should I enter? The MAC of my "synology server"? How can i find this MAC?

Thanks

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

I sincerely hope someone can help me on this, there is a virtual beer in it for anyone who can work their magic!; I've spent so many hours on this now, it's driving me insane.

I have a HP Microserver Gen8 which was initially running 5.02 BIOS J06 06/06/2014 (from what I read the Bios being out of date shouldn't make any difference to this); initially of course I wanted to upgrade and migrate data, however no matter what I did following either of the 2 guides I found below, seemingly as far as I could get was being stuck in a seemingly never ending constant 'recover' loop, you hit recover, the device seemingly goes away and does it's thing, reboots, and then you are back to where you were 10 mins ago.

Here are the guides I've been following:

I also tried:

https://github.com/XPEnology/JunLoader/wiki/Installing-DSM-6.0-Bare-Metal

Elements I've not been sure on are the following due to it working before on previous 5.02 and me not needing to change anything:

'HDDs are booting in AHCI mode and not in IDE. Finally, if disabled, also enable the serial port in BIOS', am i correct in this assumption?......

I'll also note at this juncture that I tried re-install and force install....

So next, I removed the 4 drives which have data on, and installed a spare drive (on a recommendation), that someone else who had a similar situation, managed to get a drive updated and running this way, and then swapped in the other drives and got them updated that way. 

Just to clarify, I connected this spare drive to a window laptop - removed all partitions so that it's just an unallocated drive in the hope the Xpenology setup would see it as a new drive/install....

Once the new drive is installed, i do a bare metal install from the menu, then i see the black screen on the Microserver:

decompressing Linux.... Parsing ELF... done.

booting the kernel 

I used find.synology, connect to the device (which at this point under status says: not installed), and have the big ' Set up' button as the only option.

At this stage I have manual install or 'install the latest DSM', I hit manual install and then browse to the DSM_DS3615xs_15152.pat file I have locally as per the above instructions.

I now get the 'installing Diskstation manager' screen - 'uploading DSM installation manager' at the bottom, the device reboots.

I go back into find.synology, it comes up with 'connect', the status is now 'recoverable'....i am not back in the 'recover' loop as above..

I've also tried the extra.lzma ramdisk, no difference.

WHAT ON EARTH AM I DOING WRONG?!.....

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DeniZka said:

Success! HP N40L migration from 4.2 (3612)  ->  6.0.2  (3615sx)

used Jun's loader v1.01  for AMD

Thank you so much!

You can go to 6.1.5 with jun's 1.02b loader if you want to, just remember to disable C1E support in the bios.

Hi all. I've done a lot of searching to find which PAT file we are supposed to be using. Unfortunately, PAT is one of those terms that's too short for a forum search and the only one I've found mentioned in this thread is 8451 (which I'm about to try from this link https://usdl.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.0.2/8451/DSM_RS3617xs_8451.pat). I keep getting the error stating the file is probably corrupt and I am 500% sure I've set the VID and PID correctly as it took me a while to be able to do it given I had to use a 2nd PC as OFSMount no longer works on Window 10 x64.

If this is the correct PAT file, great, if not, could someone please tell me which one it is I need as I suspect the latest DSM (downloaded from Synology's site) is not compatible with loader 1.02b.

1 hour ago, adelphia said:

I keep getting the error stating the file is probably corrupt

synology also provides a md5 file so you can check and be 100% sure the file is ok

s OFSMount no longer works on Window 10 x64.

i'm using V1.5 (1015) with win10 x64 (fcu), so its not working for you (for whatever reason)

no it has to be DS36xx not RS, RS stands for rackstation (19") thats a different product