XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Did you run ubuntu as advised and checked what modules are loading with the RTL8111E?

I try with a usb boot, but can't go more (Doesn't work). So my next step is to remove the GPU and replace it by a cheap one. If not working, try with cd boot (i remove the cd from this system after add a 5 Hdd hot swap tray.

But the system not working when I disable the on board nic, and install the 3C905 nic card

Envoyé de mon SM-T560NU en utilisant Tapatalk

On 9/13/2017 at 0:51 PM, Polanskiman said:

The module used by that NIC should be r8169 which is included in the loader. Can you please try this extra.lzma ramdisk and tell me if it works:

extra8168deac.lzma 3.9 MB https://mega.nz/#!DQxzlDJA!AY0XYDS6ywnlDVPCov0a_nQNfmBhk48xW0i8bNjU04I

Well, in the end I thought what the heck to loose, so just did an image burn, pluged it and let it run. No ramdisk, vid, pid, mac chnage and surprisingly it showed up. So i uplugged and changed those values, without modify the ramdisk and now i have Xpenology up and running.

8 hours ago, jobinjv said:

Well, in the end I thought what the heck to loose, so just did an image burn, pluged it and let it run. No ramdisk, vid, pid, mac chnage and surprisingly it showed up. So i uplugged and changed those values, without modify the ramdisk and now i have Xpenology up and running.

Yes that ramdisk seems problematic. I have removed it entirely and put a new one which normally corrects the problem. It's in the tutorial but since you booted up then you don't need it.

• Like 1

On 14/9/2017 at 10:24 AM, Polanskiman said:

Not sure what is going on but I searched the forum and found several people using the same board as you using Jun's loader.

Tryed to put a linux distro to my drive that was used to boot xpenology 6.01, and notised something strange, the stick was write protected, and could not be formatted using the HP format tool. Could it have something to do with the UEFI boot section, as that was the option i was using to boot ?

Anyhow im going to try a different stick now.

i have an old hardware an intel atom 330 board D945GCLF2 

its with the i945GC south bridge and works quite well with 5.2 unfortunately it cannot boot with any of the images i've seen here, i also tried to use different kind of extra.lzm.. but it seems to stuck by booting the kernel:

Uncompressing Linux?Ok
Booting the kernel

here it stucks

does anyone have this hardware or an equivalent?

i would be so happy to use this crappy hardware a bit longer :smile:

thx for your tipps or success storys

cheers

On 9/22/2017 at 6:28 PM, creisey said:

i have an old hardware an intel atom 330 board D945GCLF2 

its with the i945GC south bridge and works quite well with 5.2 unfortunately it cannot boot with any of the images i've seen here, i also tried to use different kind of extra.lzm.. but it seems to stuck by booting the kernel:

Uncompressing Linux?Ok
Booting the kernel

here it stucks

does anyone have this hardware or an equivalent?

i would be so happy to use this crappy hardware a bit longer :smile:

thx for your tipps or success storys

cheers

On 9/22/2017 at 10:08 PM, IG-88 said:

thats all you will see, it booted and is ready (the output you might expect is an the serial port console, if you connect there you will see more)

just start the synology assistent and search you lan, i expect it to work ootb with jun 1.02b

Quote from the OP:

On 10/28/2016 at 11:18 PM, Polanskiman said:

You won’t see much other than the following after you press enter:

3IVfKcu.jpg

If you booted the USB drive in EFI mode then you will see the same text without the last 3 lines but that's ok.

Use as advised above to connect via Synology Assistant. Looking at the specs of your hardware you should not even need a custom extra.lzma.

12 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

What hardware? Your disk controller?

i found out ICH7 does not support AHCI but i have an extra PCI card lie around its a promise fasttrack tx4310 but it not supported by any of the extra.lzma do you have any suggestions how i could implement that? or is there any possibility how to get support without ahci?

ich7 would be "ata_piix .ko" and promise fasttrack tx4310 would be "sata_promise.ko"
both atm not availible for dsm 6.1

with 6.0 it might be possible

polanskimans extra.lzma contains the sata_promise.ko

Edited by Polanskiman
Removed link to deprecated Quicknick's loader. A part of the modules in Quicknicks loader were included in the custom extra.lzma I published. The other part were dysfunctional. ata_piix.ko is already part of Jun's loader ramdisk. See OP and log.

@IG-88 See my edit above. 

@creisey: so far I haven't seen anyone being able to make a non-AHCI motherboard (meaning a SATA IDE board) work with jun's loader although the ata_piix.ko module is included in the default loader ramdisk. Maybe I'm wrong and some people have been able but don't recall it. Each time someone tries the loader on a SATA IDE board they can't see the drives because the controller is not detected.

1 hour ago, Polanskiman said:

@IG-88 See my edit above. 

@creisey: so far I haven't seen anyone being able to make a non-AHCI motherboard (meaning a SATA IDE board) work with jun's loader although the ata_piix.ko module is included in the default loader ramdisk. Maybe I'm wrong and some people have been able but don't recall it. Each time someone tries the loader on a SATA IDE board they can't see the drives because the controller is not detected.

its true juns loader is not booting at all, im using acros mod but somehow both of the drivers ar not there...

do i get things right, the drivers are in the extra.lzma? or may i add the somewhere else?

i guess its just time to goodbye my old crappy piece of intel hardware

yes, the extra.lzma contain the additional driver that dsm/synology does not provide

don't mix loaders for 6.1 (jun 1.02) with extra.lzma from 6.0 (jun 1.01/quicknick2.2) or vice versa, it will not work

you might consider buying something a little bit more recent (ahci sata), like intel J1800  based or newer (2-6 sata), as they are cheap, much easier to get to work with xpenology

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the very detailed instructions but I'm having problems with the booting process where it just won't boot at all. The screen stays black for a couple of seconds with a cursor jumping between the top left corner and the middle of the screen, and then just continues to BIOS.

I'm using an Asus H81I-Plus MB with the onboard Realtek RTL8111G NIC.

I have tried redoing the USB-preperation process with both the original extra.lzma ramdisk and the one you provided in the OP, but no difference.

Any thoughts of what could be wrong?

Also, could my VIN and PID really be 090C and 1000? According to USBFlashinfo it is, but it seems odd to be the same as your example in the OP (it's an old 2GB Corsair Voyager btw).

EDIT: I'm doing a fresh instal btw.

Edited by Nick

12 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

you should see a at least a message about the kernel booting, if not the booting from the usb stick does not work at all

try it in a difderent computer to verify its working, verfify the boot order in bios, use a different usb stick

I tried it on a different computer and the boot sequence worked there so atleast I can rule out the USB stick. I tried to boot an HDD with windows on the future NAS and that worked so I guess it has something todo with USB booting?

Edited by Nick

1 minute ago, IG-88 said:

so go to step2 and check the boot sequence in bios

do you see the usb flash drive in bios? can you make it 1st in sequence?

Yeah, I can actually see it as three devices in the boot priority list (guessing it’s because of the partitions). Two UEFI Corsair and one that just says Corsair. I also tried to disconnect all the HDDs and still same problem with the black screen. This is starting to get really annoying..