XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

On 6/30/2017 at 9:01 PM, jarzyn said:

Of course I am :smile:

That is why I am looking for any method to see what is going on underneath if system fails to load, or crush at some point.

I would suggest you start fresh on a single formatted drive and a newly burned image on your usb key. Make all necessary changes to the grub.cfg file and chose the AMD line when asked by grub. Use the extra.lzma that I provided in my post earlier since without it, it will definitely not work. Do not let the installer download the PAT file automatically for you during installation. Download manually as stated in tutorial DSM 6.0.2 and use the downloaded file when asked by the installer.

15 hours ago, Riddick said:

Thanks! The problem was because the flash didn't recognize properlyof on USB 3.0 port. Used USB 2.0 and it worked.

Booting from a USB 3 port is not recommended as some machines have problems with that. Additionally it's a waste of available resource as a USB 3 port could be used for an external drive for example.

11 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

As clearly stated in the OP of the tutorial in blue, bold, increased font size and capital letters, DSM 6.0.3, DSM 6.1, DSM 6.1.1 and DSM 6.1.2 are a NO GO. with loader v1.01.

Loader v1.02a/v1.02a2/v1.02b are not backward compatible with DSM 6.0.2 because its kernel is 3.10.77 and DSM 6.1, DSM 6.1.1, DSM 6.1.2 kernel is 3.10.102

Sure Polanski I know the warnings. What I miss is clear directions how to overcome the 6.0.2 barrier and move forward to 6.0.3 and higher using the correct loader without to start all over again. According your statement above I would come up with these 2 possibilities.

• Prepare a 1.02b boot loader, 
  • Remove your current 6.0.2 disks, 
  • Investigate if you can get your system up and running with a spare disk and the new loader. This acknowledges that your hardware can be used with the new loader.
  • Then put back your 1.01 loader start with the 6.0.2 disks and do the upgrade. After upgrading remove the 1.01 loader and swap the USB with the one where the new loader 1.0.2b is on.

or start all over again and import disks and reinstall all applications

Does that make sense? 

I will make a short parenthesis here as I have already stated above that this thread is not for DSM 6.0.2 upgrade to DSM 6.1 and above.

In order to accomplish an upgrade you always need to swap the loader with a newer version one first then do the DSM upgrade. The other way around will brick your box. So turn off your machine, take the old loader off, put the new loader in and reboot. You will be greeted with a migration page to upgrade.

And forget entirely about 6.0.3 please. That DSM version was never supported by any loader. Not v1.01, not v1.02a(2) or b. You will brick your box if you install that version no matter the loader. Only DSM 6.1, 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 will work with loaders v1.02s.

I hope that sums it up.

Edit: forget entirely the upgrade process if you have an AMD cpu. Vanilla loader v1.02a(2) and b are not compatible with AMD as far as I am aware. Some guys where able to make it work on AMD but with a recompiled kernel and added modules.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2017 at 10:09 AM, Polanskiman said:

The Dell Vostro 230 is nornally using the Broadcom NetLink 57788 controller although you would need to confirm that. The module for that controller should be the broadcom tg3 and looking into the ramdisk of v1.02b it is there.

The best way to know what is happening is to see the boot logs through a serial cable and a console.

Hi, I.ve just got the serial to usb, but I couldn't fine how to get connected to the console, some help would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, MarcHT91 said:

Hi, I.ve just got the serial to usb, but I couldn't fine how to get connected to the console, some help would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

Depends on what OS you are. On MAC for example you could use terminal or some dedicated apps like Serial or Zterm. You can google to find according to your situation.

On 4.07.2017 at 6:04 AM, Polanskiman said:

I would suggest you start fresh on a single formatted drive and a newly burned image on your usb key. Make all necessary changes to the grub.cfg file and chose the AMD line when asked by grub. Use the extra.lzma that I provided in my post earlier since without it, it will definitely not work. Do not let the installer download the PAT file automatically for you during installation. Download manually as stated in tutorial DSM 6.0.2 and use the downloaded file when asked by the installer.

Hello again, your comment inspired me to try different USB, it worked like a charm, (not crapy) USB 3.0 stick allows me to boot and find synology at new adress.

Unfortunately it's not end of problems :/

I have 2 disks connected 1xIDE and 1xSATA, after choosing "Connect" option from find.syno, I've got message that No HDD in server DS3615xs.

My IDE disk is set as a master, my SATA disk is connected to port 0 on mainboard and in BIOS both are displayed as first in theirs channel. I even disactivated not used slots and play with IDE and SATA magistrale.

IDE Channel 0 Master : ST3120814A 3.AAD

IDE Channel 0 Slave : None

IDE Channel 2 Master : ST3250310AS 3.AAC

IDE Channel 3 Master : None

Anyway I've tried changin BIOS option turnig on and off SATA and IDE but it's seems that none of that work. Is there any configuration that would help me with attaching HDD? (grup.cfg)

Disks were formated from Ubuntu platform for ext4.

On 05/07/2017 at 10:43 AM, Polanskiman said:

Depends on what OS you are. On MAC for example you could use terminal or some dedicated apps like Serial or Zterm. You can google to find according to your situation.

I know how to use the adapter, I was asking about the settings needed to connect. 

Quick question, I am running a N40L Microserver ESXI 5.5 and Xpenology DSM 5.2, the physical CPU is an AMD one.

Does the restriction that AMD is NOT supported also affect an ESXI installation of Xpenology or will the virtual machine "hide" the AMD and will allow to use bootloader v1.02b with DSM 6.1 , too?

Just wondering as under DSM 5.2 Control Panel, Basic information on ESXI the CPU is shown as INTEL Core i3-4130 with 2 cores at 1.5GHz

Thanks and sorry for the noob question.

52 minutes ago, kurti500 said:

Quick question, I am running a N40L Microserver ESXI 5.5 and Xpenology DSM 5.2, the physical CPU is an AMD one.

Does the restriction that AMD is NOT supported also affect an ESXI installation of Xpenology or will the virtual machine "hide" the AMD and will allow to use bootloader v1.02b with DSM 6.1 , too?

Just wondering as under DSM 5.2 Control Panel, Basic information on ESXI the CPU is shown as INTEL Core i3-4130 with 2 cores at 1.5GHz

Thanks and sorry for the noob question.

If you're running DSM under ESXI on a AMD cpu you'll be fine, just make sure you have appropriate backups before you upgrade. As for the cpu shown in control panel, that's what is used in a real DS3615xs.

I'd like to migrate from 5.2 to 6.xx...(baremetal) but probably none of Jun's loaders include driver for my NIC, I tried with all.

I said probably, because I'm able to come to "booting to kernel" message, but can't find my NAS on network.

If I boot with old Xpenoboot loader there's no problem, I see NAS in a minute in network.

I use xpenology dsm 5.2 since October last year, without any problems.

So, big THANKS to all of you, contributing and developing SW Xpenology, respect!

MB is Asrock H61M U3S3 (with i3 2100)

LAN: Atheros AR8151

...I'm able to edit vid+pid+mac+sn directly in grub.

May I use the same SN and MAC as I did with DSM 5.2? (Ds3615xs)

Edited by Newtonas

2 hours ago, hpk said:

can someone with good Unix knowledge help me?
How should I modify grub.cfg, if I want a baremetal installation on my HP ProlLiant MicroServer Gen8 to boot from the HDD in Bay 4 instead of Bay 1?

On windows you can use OSF Mount to open the .img file to make your changes before writing it to USB.

Just ensure you uncheck 'read only' and mount the first partition of the .img.

Notepad++ is good for editing this type of text file ;)

Edited by anthonyuk

maybe some modifications of the following part of grub.cfg?

function loadlinux {
        set model=$1
        set bootdev=$2
        shift 2
        if [ -n $vid -a -n $pid ]; then
                set usb_args="vid=$vid pid=$pid"
        fi
        eval "set common_args=\"\$common_args_$model\""
        eval "set extra_args=\"\$extra_args_$model\""
        eval "set bootdev_args=\"\$${bootdev}_args\""
        common_add_option_ex rootdev root
        common_add_option sn
        if common_add_option mac1; then set netif_num=1; fi
        if common_add_option mac2; then set netif_num=2; fi
        if common_add_option mac3; then set netif_num=3; fi
        if common_add_option mac4; then set netif_num=4; fi
        common_add_option netif_num
    if [ -z $zImage ]; then
        set zImage=zImage
    fi
        linux $img/$zImage $common_args $bootdev_args $extra_args $@
}

3 hours ago, hpk said:

can someone with good Unix knowledge help me?
How should I modify grub.cfg, if I want a baremetal installation on my HP ProlLiant MicroServer Gen8 to boot from the HDD in Bay 4 instead of Bay 1?

Please open a new thread for such request. This is off-topic.

Hi everybody

I rode a lot to install xpenology on my hp proliant gen 8 g1610t.

I understood every steps except one.

I choose to install xpenoboot on sd card.

I know that i need  pid and vid of the sd reader card.

Get this by typing This command line :

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices | grep -e "^ $" -e "Vendor" -e "Fabricant" -e "Produit"

I don know where to enter this.

In proliant's terminal or in ssh in xpenology.

Could you help please 

Thank you 

On 6/7/2017 at 0:08 PM, Polanskiman said:

Speed needs to be 115200 bits per second as specified on the grub.cfg file. There isn't much more to configure if I remember well.

Still not able to get anything. I'm not getting anything through the serial interface. Everything works, I've tried with a switch and I can work fine. The adapter is male, so I'm using a female-female adapter to plug it, can it be the problem?

Does something needs to be enabled in grub?

Hello there, 

I want to share my experience with migration to latest DSM. I know the thread title clearly says 5.2 to 6.0.2 but i hope it is not a problem if i share my 5.2 to 6.1.2 experience.

I run HP ProLiant Gen8 (G1610) box with 3xHDD, it was DSM 5.2 baremetal.

Downloaded Jun's loader 1.02b (kept original Extra.lzma ramdisk). Modified grub.cfg with SN and mac1+mac2 which i used on DSM 5.2 and of course corrected VID and PID. I never reflashed the NIC, so the MAC addresses are true to factory HW setup. Just to be sure i changed the manual IP to automatic IP from DHCP in DSM - no idead if it is neccessary, but it couldn't do any harm right?

Turned off the server, swapped the USB stick, checked correct setup in BIOS (AHCI, network boot off,...), restart. Choosed first option in Jun's loader and back to pc.

NAS went up on network just fine, choose migrate, provided the DSM 6.1.2-15132 .pat file. It showed error13 "file corrupted". After intial WTF moment i found the file was downloaded incomplete - MD5 checksum didn't matched and file was little bit smaller than it should be (saw some posts about this error earlier here where the guy was sure to have correct vid/pid so maybe this might be the issue). After repeated download the file was OK. I must say that synology server was really slow and the speed was very unstable, guess that's why the .pat file was incomplete at the first time. Anyway, this time the migration went fine. After restart it took some time till the NAS come up in the network and some more time till i was able log in (login screen told me to wait as the database is rebuilding, whatever it means).

Windows pcs couldn't acces mapped drives over SMB after migration. Reseting password (seting the same) did the trick and pcs connected to mapped drives just fine. I don't have mac or linux pc so i couldn't test if it's only windows/SMB problem. 

I need to run more tests to be sure everything is OK, but so far everything seems to be running nicely. However it is less then 24hours since i migrated so i am little caucious about making happy statement. Noticed there is already update 1, but i'll wait a little while till i do it.

Last but not least i have to THANK very much to the devs, admins, mods and all users for hard work on loaders, tutorials and comments.

Help Please!

I am on an N36L that has worked perfectly with 5 drives. 

I followed all instructions carefully as I could. put the USB drive in and booted up the synology, chose the migrate method according to the instructions and kept waiting for where to choose the file DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat. However, it never came up, and now I am in a recover loop. I see it has happened to others, Apparently, when it said migrate, I should have chosen "manual" but I did not know that as I did not understand that was what the directions meant. Is there any way to get it working again with my files in place? I have about 15Tb of info I would prefer to keep if at all possible. 

I went and tried putting in my old usb from 5.2 and it starts and then just shows a ton of erros of files it can't find so it won't load either now. 

Would really appreciate some help. I also tried doing a fresh usb drive and installing again, but it just jumps right to the same recover page and doesn't give the option to install. 

16 hours ago, johnb said:

Help Please!

I am on an N36L that has worked perfectly with 5 drives. 

I followed all instructions carefully as I could. put the USB drive in and booted up the synology, chose the migrate method according to the instructions and kept waiting for where to choose the file DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat. However, it never came up, and now I am in a recover loop. I see it has happened to others, Apparently, when it said migrate, I should have chosen "manual" but I did not know that as I did not understand that was what the directions meant. Is there any way to get it working again with my files in place? I have about 15Tb of info I would prefer to keep if at all possible. 

I went and tried putting in my old usb from 5.2 and it starts and then just shows a ton of erros of files it can't find so it won't load either now. 

Would really appreciate some help. I also tried doing a fresh usb drive and installing again, but it just jumps right to the same recover page and doesn't give the option to install. 

Nevermind, I searched all the options I could find and found the solution in a previous post. My apologies, I am brand new to this. Though I would recommend editing the original tutorial for brain dead newbies like myself to specifically state the need to choose the "manual" option under migrate. For those on an amd N36L or something like it, and unfamiliar with linux, you simply follow the instructions in Polanskiman's signature for editing the system partition. You have to create a Ubuntu live cd, then follow his instructions to get access to the system folder. Then you have to under terminal do sudo gedit, to open the version file in root access. you make the changes desrcribed in the previous thread to tell your system that you are on an older 5.2 version, then save, turn it off and go back and install again from scratch. It goes right back to the migrate option and I was able to do a manual migrate, now everything is up and working on 6.02. Thank you SO MUCH for this thread!

On 7/11/2017 at 2:53 AM, MarcHT91 said:

Still not able to get anything. I'm not getting anything through the serial interface. Everything works, I've tried with a switch and I can work fine. The adapter is male, so I'm using a female-female adapter to plug it, can it be the problem?

Does something needs to be enabled in grub?

Could be multiple things but I would recommend you check if the adapter you are using is a straight through adapter. If that is the case then that could be the problem. You need a null modem adapter not a straight through adapter. See the difference in pin correspondance. What really matters are pins 2,3 and 5. Other pins could be disconnect that it would not matter.

Simple Null Modem Cable

Null Modem.jpg

Simple Straight Through Cable

Strait Through.jpg

"You can use a hand held DMM to test continuity on the individual pins of your serial cable [adapter]. If every pin is electrically connected to the corresponding pin on the other end, i.e.: pin 1 to pin1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc. then the cable is straight through." Quote from http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1EE0DD8AF67922FA86256F720071DECF

I would suggest you to open a new thread for further support on this serial connectivity issue as it is off-topic. I will take it from there.