XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

On 6/21/2017 at 8:38 AM, Polanskiman said:

I am no expert in ESXI but that looks like there is a network setting in ESXI that is changing the MAC address each time you boot. Look into ESXI settings see if you can change the MAC address to the desired one.

Yes we can define mac adress in ESXI, but for the first interface, this is not take by loader.
define in grub.cfg overwrite it...

1 hour ago, ygor said:

Hi v1.0.2a is not stated not compatible with AMD, i 'm running 1.01 fine on hp n54l, but 1.0.2a is not working , i don't have a grub boot loader.

Is it supposed to work with this hardware ?

Thanks

Then stay on v1.01 with DSM 6.0.2 and do not upgrade to DSM 6.1.1 or DSM 6.1.2

All versions since v1.02a included (v1.02a, v1.02a2, v1.02b) are not compatible with AMD.

40 minutes ago, ygor said:

ok,

thanks for the confirmation, 

as 1.01 and 1.02a have no indication , and only 1.02b is marked not working with AMD i supposed 1.02a was, like 1.01.

Actually it is but indirectly:

On 9/20/2016 at 2:57 PM, jun said:

Original post by jun:

I've uploaded a 6.1 alpha build to mega, for brave guys only :smile:. (Note: AMD needs extra work.)

I have updated the OP for more accuracy.

On 2/21/2017 at 9:59 PM, infotime said:

I have an HP N40L and am having trouble. My guess is that the NIC is not loading. Once the machine boots Synology Assistant can't find it on the network. It works fine when I boot it with my 5.2 USB disk. I modified the as directed and changed the VID and PID to match my USB drive, changed the serial number to a random number and set the MAC address to the MAC address of my machine.

I see that others have this machine working. Hopefully I'm missing something simple.

Thanks.

On 5/23/2017 at 8:07 PM, cabldevil said:

I have a N40L that works fine with the 5.2 and the xpenano loader. But I try 1.01 or 1.02 with a 3615xs and it goes to Booting Kernal as always but I cannot find the server or mac on my dhcpd status/log or the Synology Assistant. I Have added my VID and PID and my correct mac as well as a generated serial.

I have added the extra drivers pack as well. Is she just to old? I read others that can do it... I have tried with my intel nick with no avail.

Thank you .....

I'm using N40L and able to finish the installation with the regular "extra" drives.

At first I wasn't able to discover the server, you need make sure choose the "AMD" option in grub menu. Once done that it is discoverable.

Also make sure you find the right MAC address of your NIC. You can confirm by login to your router and check the ARP table, or SSH into the box (in case you have a working DSM) and run ifconfig.

Edited by vonion
  • Like 1

Hi,

this tutorial is great and everything works fine except the quick connect. When I tried to log into quick connect in Control Panel, it kept saying "The system failed to perform the requested operation, there is an unknown error.". I've tried different serial numbers and set SataPortMap to 2 because I have 2 hard disks but got no luck. do you know why and how to solve this?

ps: I used the real mac address as mac1.

Thanks in advanced.

Edited by agalloch21
add some details

58 minutes ago, agalloch21 said:

Hi,

this tutorial is great and everything works fine except the quick connect. When I tried to log into quick connect in Control Panel, it kept saying "The system failed to perform the requested operation, there is an unknown error.". I've tried different serial numbers and set SataPortMap to 2 because I have 2 hard disks but got no luck. do you know why and how to solve this?

ps: I used the real mac address as mac1.

Thanks in advanced.

Quickconnect will NOT work & is an abuse of Synology's services, if you need external access use something like NO-IP

• Like 1

Hello All,

I am hoping some of you can help me as I am ready to throw my r710 out a window. So I am not sure what is going on I have done some research of what I could find on installing bare metal Xpenology on r710. So heres what I did:

jun v1.01 loader (6.02)

modified VID and PID and also added additional mac for the 4 nics wasn't sure if it was needed.

I enabled the serial in bios and set it to on with console redirection via com1 then set the external serial port to com 1. (not sure if I did this right)

Also added Polanskiman extra.lzma

boots up fine, Finds its and installs 

after the installation finishes it says it rebooting once it reboots it doesn't prompt me to go to the web GUI. the 10 min countdown times out and then it prompts me to recover is says I have moved my hard drives from and prompts for reinstall again its like I am stuck in a reinstall loop.

When I type in the IP i can see all the hard drives light up like it is doing something after the reboot but then it doesn't redirect me to the web gui to config it.

Thanks 

r710 specs

36gb of ram

2 xeon L5630

h310 raid card flashed to IT mode using it as a pass through for JBOD

6 hard drives 

25 minutes ago, d1gger007 said:

Hello All,

I am hoping some of you can help me as I am ready to throw my r710 out a window. So I am not sure what is going on I have done some research of what I could find on installing bare metal Xpenology on r710. So heres what I did:

jun v1.01 loader (6.02)

modified VID and PID and also added additional mac for the 4 nics wasn't sure if it was needed.

I enabled the serial in bios and set it to on with console redirection via com1 then set the external serial port to com 1. (not sure if I did this right)

Also added Polanskiman extra.lzma

boots up fine, Finds its and installs 

after the installation finishes it says it rebooting once it reboots it doesn't prompt me to go to the web GUI. the 10 min countdown times out and then it prompts me to recover is says I have moved my hard drives from and prompts for reinstall again its like I am stuck in a reinstall loop.

When I type in the IP i can see all the hard drives light up like it is doing something after the reboot but then it doesn't redirect me to the web gui to config it.

Thanks 

r710 specs

36gb of ram

2 xeon L5630

h310 raid card flashed to IT mode using it as a pass through for JBOD

6 hard drives 

Have you tried moving the LAN cable to another NIC and tried accessing the GUI?

22 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Have you tried moving the LAN cable to another NIC and tried accessing the GUI?

Just did now 

So I moved the it too a different nic my router assigned it a new IP  did the recover and reinstall, then once it restarted I moved it to a different nic my router assigned it to the first IP I had and now is prompting me to recover again.

Just did now 

So I moved the it too a different nic my router assigned it a new IP  did the recover and reinstall, then once it restarted I moved it to a different nic my router assigned it to the first IP I had and now is prompting me to recover again.

If this is a fresh install, format the drives and don't use the custom extra.lzma I posted. Install again. Let me know if that works. Use NIC1. Also search the thread/forum I think several people are using the same hardware and were successful in installing 6.0.2 with v1.01. Don't forget to report.

If this is a fresh install, format the drives and don't use the custom extra.lzma I posted. Install again. Let me know if that works. Use NIC1. Also search the thread/forum I think several people are using the same hardware and were successful in installing 6.0.2 with v1.01. Don't forget to report.

I'll give it another shot. Thank you for your help 

9 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

So I tried it again same thing. prompting me to recover/reinstall and detecting that my drives have been moved.

Wiped the flash drive. booted to a live ubuntu usb formatted all the drives I did notice a drive number change when installing. This time it said 3,4,5,6,7,8 will be formatted when doing the install. On the first round with your extra drivers it was detecting them as 1,2,3,4,5,6. not sure if that makes a difference.  

Someone may help a noob how to use the 1.02b .img provided with a existing installation of a 1.02a on a ESXI 6.5 vm?

I put the img file on the machine folder but nothing seems change...I remember the old directory published on Mega contains the vmdk file too

Really thanks in advance

On 15.06.2017 at 4:26 AM, Threska960 said:

Assuming the NIC is working properly, is your router giving the machine an address?

Sorry for long time of mine reply but I couldn't lay my hands on any router which shows DHCP clients list.

I know that NIC works well because on the machine there's windows xp installed, so when I'am booting with windows I can connect to the network, therefore it appears on the clients list, that's why I am assuming that NIC is working fine. I am not sure if it works with XPENOLOGY environment as well. That's why I would like to know any method maybie to debug it, or check any logs from bootup.

On 15.06.2017 at 4:01 PM, Dfds said:

That mac address doesn't look right, should be something like 0011322CA785. Did you follow these instructions:

MAC address is fine it's mine habit not to post any crucial data online, sorry for missleading in that I could write something like zeros or so. I am not sure what instruction you are reffering to, because I do not have permissions to see that:

Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it.

I do have some doubts with PID and VID configuration windows properties says its's VID=2008 and PID=2018. Shall I write it as hex value or leave it as is?

set VID=0x2008
set PID=0x2018

or

set vid=0x07D8
set pid=0x07E2

?

I've checked all the possibilities but non of them works and from what I am aware of it's crucial just when you finally find your device.

Thank you for you effort and any help in advance.

9 hours ago, jarzyn said:

I am not sure what instruction you are reffering to, because I do not have permissions to see that:

Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it.

The error message is misleading. This is due to a renaming of the thread. I corrected the problem and updated the post in question with the updated link.

Hi, I currently at 5.2 of DSM and wish to update to DSM 6.0

I host the DSM with VirtualBox before, but It seems unable to mount the USB to the VM

There are several attempts I tried:

1) Burn the .img file to the USB and boot by using latest version of Plop Boot Manager 

Result -> BOOT ERROR NO BOOT DEVICE FOUND PLEASE RETRY IT message pop up

2) Convert .img to .iso by using OSFMount built in convert function

Result -> FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted

3) Directly change .img file extension to .iso

Is there anyone experiencing the same problem? Thanks

On 24/06/2017 at 2:50 PM, mouse said:

Someone may help a noob how to use the 1.02b .img provided with a existing installation of a 1.02a on a ESXI 6.5 vm?

I put the img file on the machine folder but nothing seems change...I remember the old directory published on Mega contains the vmdk file too

Really thanks in advance

Take it :

http://dl.free.fr/n7781iqnt

Put next to the img file, and when you choose a hard disk, choose the vdmk.

43 minutes ago, eric1357a said:

Hi, I currently at 5.2 of DSM and wish to update to DSM 6.0

I host the DSM with VirtualBox before, but It seems unable to mount the USB to the VM

There are several attempts I tried:

1) Burn the .img file to the USB and boot by using latest version of Plop Boot Manager 

Result -> BOOT ERROR NO BOOT DEVICE FOUND PLEASE RETRY IT message pop up

2) Convert .img to .iso by using OSFMount built in convert function

3) Directly change .img file extension to .iso

Is there anyone experiencing the same problem? Thanks

Fixed by mount the vdmk file and the update is success 

Thanks for helping

15 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

The error message is misleading. This is due to a renaming of the thread. I corrected the problem and updated the post in question with the updated link.

Thank you Mr. Polanskiman.

Anyway it didn't solve my problem :(

On 6/25/2017 at 6:19 PM, jarzyn said:

I do have some doubts with PID and VID configuration windows properties says its's VID=2008 and PID=2018. Shall I write it as hex value or leave it as is?

set VID=0x2008
set PID=0x2018

0x2008
0x2018
Is the correct way of putting it.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200 2.20GHz
Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2L
NIC NVIDIA nForce

In view of your hardware you need the forcedeth.ko module. The custom ramdisk that I provided contains it but it seem the custom ramdisk is posing some problems to some people. Try this one instead which contains only the forcedeth module in addition to the modules provided by Jun: https://mega.nz/#!KcxTxQhJ!FYOSzesxdUjPlynO4YDvSu4LKfFkFk9eBvkUD9AGS04

Please report back.

On 6/24/2017 at 10:32 AM, d1gger007 said:

So I tried it again same thing. prompting me to recover/reinstall and detecting that my drives have been moved.

Wiped the flash drive. booted to a live ubuntu usb formatted all the drives I did notice a drive number change when installing. This time it said 3,4,5,6,7,8 will be formatted when doing the install. On the first round with your extra drivers it was detecting them as 1,2,3,4,5,6. not sure if that makes a difference.  

Where you able to finally install it?

On 6/26/2017 at 10:43 PM, Polanskiman said:

Where you able to finally install it?

no I gave up and threw ESXI on it will probably try again when quicknick finishes his project he was working on or when a different loader comes out. I was just going to use the r710 as back up because it is such a power hog. Trying to find other things to do with my r710. Most of the things I have running are on my main server.