XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

how do I get a valid serial & MAC for DS916+

Need DS916+ for SHR

no you don't, on migrating a found shr keeps working and in 3615/17 it can be activated in synoinfo.conf

search the forum, its mentioned often in the last 2 months

Need DS916+ for SHR

no you don't, on migrating a found shr keeps working and in 3615/17 it can be activated in synoinfo.conf

Is this the same for fresh installs? can I still activate SHR and also if so how do I get the MAC address for DS3615xs/17 and which version should I use in that case 15 or 17?

Need DS916+ for SHR

Is this the same for fresh installs? can I still activate SHR and also if so how do I get the MAC address for DS3615xs/17 and which version should I use in that case 15 or 17?

For fresh installs you need to activate SHR by modifying the synoinfo.conf file. Search the forum.

For the MAC address use the one from your NIC.

For fresh installs you need to activate SHR by modifying the synoinfo.conf file. Search the forum.

For the MAC address use the one from your NIC.

Thats what I thought just wanted to double check.

last question what should I use and why? DS3615xs or DS3617xs? and why, what's the difference etc?

last question what should I use and why? DS3615xs or DS3617xs? and why, what's the difference etc?

It's hardware dependant. If you have a high-end machine with Xeon processors then DS3617xs will take advantage of the hardware. In general though I recommend DS3615xs.

It's hardware dependant. If you have a high-end machine with Xeon processors then DS3617xs will take advantage of the hardware. In general though I recommend DS3615xs.

I have a supermicro server with 8gb ddr3 (which i am looking to upgrade to 24gb) and it has a Xeon E5620 which is 4 core with hyper threading. so should I be using DS3617xs?

When XPEnology Configuration Tool & Bootloader DSM 6.1.1 is released can I move to use that with out messing up my DSM 6.1.1 install that was installed with Jun's loader as long as I set up the grub file correctly? Only reason I'm wondering is that it has the ability to shut down the machine from a local console in case of a power failure/running on UPS. (Not that I don't like Jun's loader I think its very easy and lightweight to setup which I like just wish it had ability to go to a local terminal or trigger a shutdown command in case of power failure)

I dusted off an old Intel SS-4200 that had been running 5.2. I have installed a Compact Flash card and was booting form that. A CF does not appear to have properties for VID and PID. What is the function of those values? Will this work with a CF card?

Thanks!

EH

I dusted off an old Intel SS-4200 that had been running 5.2. I have installed a Compact Flash card and was booting form that. A CF does not appear to have properties for VID and PID. What is the function of those values? Will this work with a CF card? 

Thanks!

EH

A CF card does not have a vid/pid but the card reader might since it should have a usb controller. Search this thread or the equivalent thread in French, other people were able to run the loader from a similar setup. You will have to run a command line to find out the vid/pid of the card reader.

I got stuck with the migration of DSM 5.2 to 6.0.

Followed the tutorial exactally as said, but the synology assistant can't find the nas ?

Where did it go wrong ?

Difficult to say with no information provided about your hardware.

Specs:

CPU: I7-2600K

RAM: 2 x 4Gb

MB: GA-pa65-ud3-b3

LAN: Intel - 10/100 ETHERJET PCI Management ADAPTER - EJMNPDALBANY

Storage: 2.5 Tb Raid 0

I got stuck with the migration of DSM 5.2 to 6.0.

Followed the tutorial exactally as said, but the synology assistant can't find the nas ?

Where did it go wrong ?

Difficult to say with no information provided about your hardware.

Specs:

CPU: I7-2600K

RAM: 2 x 4Gb

MB: GA-pa65-ud3-b3

LAN: Intel - 10/100 ETHERJET PCI Management ADAPTER - EJMNPDALBANY

Storage: 2.5 Tb Raid 0

I can't seem to find what module that NIC is using. Have you tried updating DSM with the onboard NIC. That NIC's module is part of the loader ramdisk (RTL8111E).

I checked all Bios options 10 times and as another User wrote a few posts ago, there are no usb security settings.

In this bios you will find usb only in boot order and you can disable/enable boot from removeable Media.

Can the loader be started from an other Environment or somthing else?

Same problem here. running 5.2 on a intel atom board fine. Cannot boot using a gpt disk. Could you please provide a mbr boot image ?

@bmwfreak8

Its not gonna work, the hp machines are just crap!! Just buy a hd bay 2.5 inch and test it out.. No need for extra power chord and its about 8 bucks.

Put it an old harddisk and boot from it. When it doesn't work just return the bay.

I will give this a try in the next days and will post the result

also this dosn't work. Booting from a separate hdd give the same result. I will know switch back to 5.2 :cry:

I'm sorry for bothering you but I just can't run my old PC.
At screen everything looks just fine but I cannot find my NAS with find.synology.com neither by Sinology Assistant.

I've used all extra.lzma suggested but I really do not know what's going on as the screen display message that it stops sending logs.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200 2.20GHz
Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2L
NIC NVIDIA nForce

I've also configured grub.cfg:

set vid=0x2008
set pid=0x2018
set sn=1230LWN999400
set mac1=QC2A799KALF5

SataPortMap=1

I am selecting AMD configuration and I don't have more ideas.

Could you guide me how to see debuging log or maybie any tip what to check next?

3 hours ago, jarzyn said:

At screen everything looks just fine but I cannot find my NAS with find.synology.com neither by Sinology Assistant.

I've used all extra.lzma suggested but I really do not know what's going on as the screen display message that it stops sending logs.

Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2L
NIC NVIDIA nForce

set vid=0x2008
set pid=0x2018
set sn=1230LWN999400
set mac1=QC2A799KALF5

SataPortMap=1

Could you guide me how to see debuging log or maybie any tip what to check next?

Assuming the NIC is working properly, is your router giving the machine an address?

ok problem, i know i did not listen.

i upgraded to 6.1 with jun's 101 loader. but with 102 loader still nothing. 

i just want a install of 6.0.2 again but how?

i can recover the nas but when i do this it keeps saying, recover.

Edited by raydekok

On 6/14/2017 at 10:56 PM, jarzyn said:

Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2L
NIC NVIDIA nForce

set vid=0x2008
set pid=0x2018
set sn=1230LWN999400
set mac1=QC2A799KALF5

SataPortMap=1

That mac address doesn't look right, should be something like 0011322CA785. Did you follow these instructions:

When I upgraded my N54L's the only things I changed were the vid, pid & mac addresses & DSM 6.0.2 installed without issue.

21 minutes ago, Gurnsee said:

Hi everyone,

So I have activated my shr through editing synoinfo.conf on my machine. My question is, if update comes let's say I'm at 6.1.1 and 6.2 is now safe to update to, will it still support SHR or it'll break my current SHR array?

No it wont break it even if DSM is reinstalled, SHR is supported whether synoinfo.conf is modified or not, you just need it to create the SHR volume.

• Like 1

Hi,

Just upgraded from 6.0.2 to 6.1.2 in 2 steps:

Step 1:

- used Jun's 1.02b bootloader on a new stick (different from the one previously used to boot 6.0.2)

- did a manual install of 6.1 (DSM_DS3615xs_15047) selecting to only keep the files and NOT the seetings. I was kinda forced to since I've previously f**ked my DSM during Virtual Machine Manager installation ... my fault for not being carefull enough)

Step 2:

- did a standard upgrade to latest version from Synology 6.1 Control Panel straight to 6.1.2

- after reboot everything was ok: files still there

I think it would have worked with keeping the settings as well (Step 1), but as I said, mine was broken anyway.  

WARNING !!! If you try this, be careful so you won't lose important settings of files !!! So, backup/test are a must.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

• Like 2

run into a problem guys. followed this tutorial.

got 6.0.2 running on one disk. Powered down, added a new disk now I get a screen saying they have detected that I have moved disks to a new DS2615xs. Please click recover if you want to recover your settings. No other options are available. If I click recover it does some trickery, then restarts but the process is just looping. I have re-imaged the USB thumb drive but same thing. I guess I have to format the disks but that's a pain just due to adding a new one. I thought in DSM 5 you could just add disks then power up?