XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Take out your drives remembering their position on each sata port. Now if you have a spare drive try installing DSM 6.0.2 on it. Does it work?

I have tried that, installed one new 4tb Red drive. No other drives installed tried to do a bare metal install with 6.0 and 6.0.2 with no luck. Also tested with the old bootloader for 5.2 and it worked like a charm.

Thank you for reaching out and trying to help.

No point in comparing with 5.2. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Did you select the AMD line in the grub menu?

Trying to install (bare metal) Version 6.0.2 on N54L.

The Boot-Options are displayed, option 4 selected succesfully but i cant find my synology with find.synology.com.

I read that i should set the MAC Adress in the config like my real NICs MAC. How can I identify my real MAC adress?

Okay i checked my real MAC adress and edited the grub-file correctly.

Badly i still cant find my synology.

My NIC is: atheros AR8132M --> is this one supported??

if you google for that chip and what kernel module it uses

-> atl1e.ko

when checking extra.lzma from jun 1.02 there is a atl1e.ko so it is supported

Okay, it works.

I didn't exchange the extra.lzma (keep the one in the image) and it is running flawlessly.

What did you do to make it work? Please share so others can benefit from your experience.

if you google for that chip and what kernel module it uses

-> atl1e.ko

when checking extra.lzma from jun 1.02 there is a atl1e.ko so it is supported

This tutorial is for DSM 6.0.2 loader v1.01 but that module is equally present in v1.01.

What did you do to make it work? Please share so others can benefit from your experience.

I followed the tutorial but skipped the part with the exchange of extra.lmza

I kept the file from the downloaded *.img

(edit): Where can I find the Update 2 - Update X of 6.0.2 to download?

I followed the tutorial but skipped the part with the exchange of extra.lmza

I kept the file from the downloaded *.img

(edit): Where can I find the Update 2 - Update X of 6.0.2 to download?

So you mean that with the custom extra.lzma that I posted it was not working?

correct - with your updated File, it didn't work for me.

Nevertheless, thanks for your work und your great tutorial!

Hi. If you have a spare drive would you mind trying to make a new install of DSM 6.0.2 with this ramdisk. I am unsure what the problem is but I have removed 2 modules that can potentially be the reason for why the ramdisk was not working for you.

Thanks in advance.

Ahh okay. But what is the differente between such a bay and a usb Stick or how high is the chance that this will work?

According to the link provided earlier (http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46817) the problem seems to be related to Grub. Reading through the comments in that link it seems that Grub doesn't work when used on a usb stick but it does when used with an HDD or CDROM (exclude the CDRom as an option because the boot drive needs to be writeable). This said that link is not specific to your hardware but reading around internet is telling me that your specific machine has issues booting in linux environments when booting from a USB.

As a test you can try creating a ubuntu live usb (https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop ... on-windows) and then try booting your HP with that.

Please revert when you have carried out the test.

I have done the ubuntu test and it boots directly without changing bios or force boot via boot menu. After that i put Jun's img via rufus on the same stick and it can't boot. Any thing else?

I have done the ubuntu test and it boots directly without changing bios or force boot via boot menu. After that i put Jun's img via rufus on the same stick and it can't boot. Any thing else?

This tells me grub is not the problem and that your machine is not booting in legacy mode, instead is trying an efi boot. Check the usb boot config in the bios for legacy boot or anything of the sort. Also use, Win32DiskImager preferably.

I checked all Bios options 10 times and as another User wrote a few posts ago, there are no usb security settings.

In this bios you will find usb only in boot order and you can disable/enable boot from removeable Media.

Can the loader be started from an other Environment or somthing else?

OMG you guys are life savers. I have been pulling whats left of my hair out trying to figure out why the web gui keeps failing on reboot when setting my network up with a 3x1gbps LACP link with a MTU of 9000. I was starting to think it was the LACP

chege said:
Yes, there is problem with MTU set as high. There was few topics about this, just search forum. MTU higher than 2000 or 3000, dont remember now, causes issues with WebGUI, etc.

https://xpenology.com/forum/search/?&q=mtu issue login&sortby=relevancy

I checked all Bios options 10 times and as another User wrote a few posts ago, there are no usb security settings.

In this bios you will find usb only in boot order and you can disable/enable boot from removeable Media.

Can the loader be started from an other Environment or somthing else?

Have you tried updating the BIOS to the latest version?

I have also been doing some research and it really seems that some HP machine are picky when it comes to booting. Have you tried other image burner programs other than rufus and Win32ImageImager? You may want to try RMPrepUSB. I can't warranty it will work though.

@bmwfreak8

Its not gonna work, the hp machines are just crap!! Just buy a hd bay 2.5 inch and test it out.. No need for extra power chord and its about 8 bucks.

Put it an old harddisk and boot from it. When it doesn't work just return the bay.

Where does the dsm install? is it possible to set up a dedicated drive for the DSM system?

Also for the loader what size USB should I use I want to use smallest USB as possible, I have 1GB, 4GB and 8gb. a si dont want to use up a bigger capacity drive if I don't need to.

@bmwfreak8

Its not gonna work, the hp machines are just crap!! Just buy a hd bay 2.5 inch and test it out.. No need for extra power chord and its about 8 bucks.

Put it an old harddisk and boot from it. When it doesn't work just return the bay.

I will give this a try in the next days and will post the result

Followed all the steps and encountered the following error on boot before actually getting to the Synology load:

Verifying DMI Pool Data .....

It would hang there.

I re-imaged the USB flash drive (Adata 32G) and still it hung.

Tried the 5.2 version I have running on my first NAS build and it worked without an issue.

Researched the error "Verifying DMI Pool Data ....." and the suggestions is no bootable image is found on the available drives and to try and remove one drive at a time until you find the problem one. This did not resolve the problem but it did cause the Bios Boot order to change.

I reset the Bios boot order to load the USB HDD first and I also set the drive delay to 3 seconds to allow the bios to delay 3 seconds before identifying the HD's.

It started and is now running.

I don't want to jinx this but hopefully it will run.

Sitting at "Booting the Kernel".