XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

I still have problems booting with by 2 HP DC 7900 Baremetal.

After selecting USB in bootmenu there is only a blinking cursor in top left. I tried 2 Differenz sticks, different software to burn the image and the 2 machines. I also tried different loader versions and the lagacy loader in one of the first posts.

I find no lagacy option in bios. Also no uefi. I did a bios update also.

Booting with 5.2 is working with no problem.

Any solution or hint? Thx

After selecting USB in bootmenu there is only a blinking cursor in top left

that means the stick is not booting, you should see the menu selection of the grub loader

i know the dc 7900, no uefi secure boot, just a classic bios

maybe try to put the 5.2 bootloader on one of the not working sticks to proof the new sticks are working or (if you can recreate the 5.2 on the old stick) put the new loader for dsm 6 on the old stick

in that bios there are two places where you can influence usb boot, both in the 2nd menu from the left

one is a global option (yes(no) to enable boot from removable media, the other is the boot order (if removeble ist disabled the order is not used) - but if you reset the bios to factory defaults usb boot should work ootb

The sticks are okay. They booting 5.2 in front or back.

BIOS reset didn't work. I tried to create s bootable syslinux stick. This works and also running the zImage but I think this is not the right way!?

Is it posible to merg the new loader with syslinux boot?

Thank you so far

Hi,Polanskiman

I Can't find my PC using Synology Assistant.

I tried with Loader v1.01 (DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01.zip)

My LAN Drive is a Onboard Realtek RTL8211CL Gigabit LAN (10/100/1000Mbps)

My Motherboard is Zotac IONITX-C-U

CPU: Intel Atom N230 Processor

Could you please add this NIC driver for loader v1.01

Read what I wrote 6 posts above this one. Do what I say. That extra.lzma ramdisk contains the forcedeth module.

replace extra.lzma works for me, i can use 6.02 now, big thanks :smile:

i have a hp micoserver n54l (amd cpu) now someone here tried to update 5.2 to the latest version, which the unit didnt like. So i followed the instructions and now im in a recoverable state loop it says im running 6.0.2-8451

Any ideas

i have a hp micoserver n54l (amd cpu) now someone here tried to update 5.2 to the latest version, which the unit didnt like. So i followed the instructions and now im in a recoverable state loop it says im running 6.0.2-8451

Any ideas

re-image your stick again: write the syno image on the usb for a second time

could be this:

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46817

Maybe you can use a smaller usb drive. like below 2gb?

I now used an old 512 MB stick. Same problem. Booting 5.2 is okay with this. So I think the grub is the problem.

Question again: can i start the new loader with syslinux instead of grub somehow?

mm can you make an iso http://xpenology.club/convert-img-to-iso-on-windows/ from the image file and then use rufus to create a usb stick? In rufus, checkbox the bootable option and then choose the iso you converted.. No idea if this works but its worth a try!

I tried installing 8451 on a Lenovo TS130 but after waiting 10 minutes for the install to finish it shows a simillar screen but now the status is "Needs upgrading". I tried formating the disk and reimaging the USB but still the same result. I tried searching but couldn't find a simillar issue on the forum.

I have a N40L that works fine with the 5.2 and the xpenano loader. But I try 1.01 or 1.02 with a 3615xs and it goes to Booting Kernal as always but I cannot find the server or mac on my dhcpd status/log or the Synology Assistant. I Have added my VID and PID and my correct mac as well as a generated serial.

I have added the extra drivers pack as well. Is she just to old? I read others that can do it... I have tried with my intel nick with no avail.

Thank you .....

After selecting USB in bootmenu there is only a blinking cursor in top left. I tried 2 Differenz sticks, different software to burn the image and the 2 machines. I also tried different loader versions and the lagacy loader in one of the first posts.

That blinking cursor tells me that the usb is not even booting. When you are booting the machine try pressing F10 during POST and select the USB drive see if it forces it.

As a side note, also make sure that AHCI mode is selected in the BIOS instead of IDE or RAID although this is not related directly to the USB booting process.

I need all sata ports so using one for only booting the machine issn't what I want.

@Polanskiman

All BIOS settings are as you suggested. Also forcing USB via boot menu ends in the same result. If I prepare the stick with Grub via RMPrepUSB it also dosn't work. Running syslinux (or 5.2 loader) is no problem.

Maybe you can buy a 2.5 inch HD bay and put a old drive in it.. Then burn the img to the drive..

do not forget the pid/vid :grin:

There is no vid/pid for hard drives. vid/pid are only identification numbers for USB devices.

That's not true.. The USB bay has an controller and that controller got a pid and vid.

2017_05_24_14_21_51.png

@ bmwfreak8

Not in your computer but use a HD bay 2.5 inch and put in some old laptop disk.. like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-5mm-IDE-2-5- ... 0506103629

btw, do not buy a usb 3.0 bay but a 2.0 :grin:

Maybe you can buy a 2.5 inch HD bay and put a old drive in it.. Then burn the img to the drive..

do not forget the pid/vid :grin:

There is no vid/pid for hard drives. vid/pid are only identification numbers for USB devices.

That's not true.. The USB bay has an controller and that controller got a pid and vid.

2017_05_24_14_21_51.png

Nothing untrue in what I said but I could have been more specific. An HDD is not a usb device. They do not have a vid/pid. The bay might and in this case if the bay is a usb device then the bay has a vid/pid. Same goes for card readers. The cards will not have a vid/pid but the reader will.

Ahh okay. But what is the differente between such a bay and a usb Stick or how high is the chance that this will work?

According to the link provided earlier (http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46817) the problem seems to be related to Grub. Reading through the comments in that link it seems that Grub doesn't work when used on a usb stick but it does when used with an HDD or CDROM (exclude the CDRom as an option because the boot drive needs to be writeable). This said that link is not specific to your hardware but reading around internet is telling me that your specific machine has issues booting in linux environments when booting from a USB.

As a test you can try creating a ubuntu live usb (https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop ... on-windows) and then try booting your HP with that.

Please revert when you have carried out the test.

I have a N40L that works fine with the 5.2 and the xpenano loader. But I try 1.01 or 1.02 with a 3615xs and it goes to Booting Kernal as always but I cannot find the server or mac on my dhcpd status/log or the Synology Assistant. I Have added my VID and PID and my correct mac as well as a generated serial.

I have added the extra drivers pack as well. Is she just to old? I read others that can do it... I have tried with my intel nick with no avail.

Thank you .....

Take out your drives remembering their position on each sata port. Now if you have a spare drive try installing DSM 6.0.2 on it. Does it work?

Take out your drives remembering their position on each sata port. Now if you have a spare drive try installing DSM 6.0.2 on it. Does it work?

I have tried that, installed one new 4tb Red drive. No other drives installed tried to do a bare metal install with 6.0 and 6.0.2 with no luck. Also tested with the old bootloader for 5.2 and it worked like a charm.

Thank you for reaching out and trying to help.