XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Hi i have the same issue, with a t3 driver needed.

I've a Tigon3, but the 1.01 doesn't include the t3 driver. How to include it? Thanks!!

eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95723) rev 5784100] (PCI Express) MAC address 

tg3 module is included. What issue do you have?

I'm not able to find the diskstation with the synology assistant. i've setup the grup.conf with the vit, pid, mac ecc:

set vid=0x0...
set pid=0x0...
set sn=B3J4....
set mac1=38EAA7...

It's possible that the SN is the problem? I've the B3J4N01003 that i see is a default serial used also here http://xpenology.me/how-to-update-boot-loader/

UPDATE:

Actually i'm using xpenoboot to boot the DSM on a HP Proliant Microserver. Everything work fine with the DSM 5.2-5967.

I'm not able to boot with Jun's loader (baremetal), the boot up process is blocked on the black screen saying "Booting the kernel", with synology assistant i'm not able to find the server to start the migration.

where can i download just Version: 6.0.2-8451 update 8

i need to install it

DSM 6.0.2 can be download here: https://usdl.synology.com/download/DSM/ ... s_8451.pat

Update 8 can be downloaded here: https://usdl.synology.com/download/DSM/ ... 3615xs.pat

This is obviously for DS3615xs.

Thanks, the guide worked well fro me on a HP Microserver Gen 8. For anyone else installing on a Gen 8, I didn't mod the SN (don't think its fair to use Synology Connect), but entered the correct VID/PID/MAC's.

where can i download just Version: 6.0.2-8451 update 8

i need to install it

DSM 6.0.2 can be download here: https://usdl.synology.com/download/DSM/ ... s_8451.pat

Update 8 can be downloaded here: https://usdl.synology.com/download/DSM/ ... 3615xs.pat

This is obviously for DS3615xs.

Thanks, the guide worked well fro me on a HP Microserver Gen 8. For anyone else installing on a Gen 8, I didn't mod the SN (don't think its fair to use Synology Connect), but entered the correct VID/PID/MAC's.

Had a strange occurrence after posting that message.

I'd already applied update 8 and though i'd apply update 11 now. But after applying update 11 the box never came back. Had to hard reboot from Gen 8 power button to get it back.

so update 6.0.3-8754 is now out can we update or not?

No. Read below.

For those who have tried and failed with update 12 (6.0.3-8754), did you try reimaging your usb?

I only updated from 5.2 to 6.0 update 11, 2 days ago and I thought my device was bricked until I remembered to reimage and I was happy again.

banhuk

6.0.3-8754 is not update 12 and is definitely not a minor update. Re-imaging the USB key will have no effect whatsoever on the outcome.

Hello,

What do you mean by "reimage" ? Change the PID/VID/Mac ?

Just bricked mine by not beeing cautious enough (last backup last night), can't even see the machine on the network.

Any idea ?

eJules

DSM 6.0.3-8754 WILL NOT work with loader v1.01 as this is not some trivial minor update. Although the kernel is the same version (3.10.77) as 6.0.2, the kernel was recompiled by Synology and there has been enough changes in the code for the loader not to work as is. Looking at the logs I can see that some modules are failing to load which is a clear sign that the kernel includes some changes.

DO NOT UPDATE TO DSM 6.0.3-8754 or you will have a bricked box in a recoverable loop state from which you won't be able to come out. The only way as far I can tell is to either wipe the system partition and then reinstall 6.0.2 or access the system partition through a Live Ubuntu USB key and modify the version file to then be able to reinstall 6.0.2. You can try this with no warranties: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... lit=access

Also, search the forum extensively before attempting anything.

Can you explain how to wipe or modify version file with ubuntu live cd please?

I am installing XPEnology for the first time and am having challenges. I followed the video below, which is a little different than these instructions, but it seem to work fine. I was ready to go, it just didn't see my M.2 drive. So after research I realized I could only use an SSD or HDD and ordered a new storage drive. Now going back to repeat the process the Win32DiskImager keeps deleting the USB drive letter after it loads the file, so Windows 7 cannot see it anymore to adjust the grub file. I have tried several thumb drives and other loaders with the same result.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

I am installing XPEnology for the first time and am having challenges. I followed the video below, which is a little different than these instructions, but it seem to work fine. I was ready to go, it just didn't see my M.2 drive. So after research I realized I could only use an SSD or HDD and ordered a new storage drive. Now going back to repeat the process the Win32DiskImager keeps deleting the USB drive letter after it loads the file, so Windows 7 cannot see it anymore to adjust the grub file. I have tried several thumb drives and other loaders with the same result.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Since you are posting here I will assume you are using the loader mentioned in the tutorial, that is v1.01

I highly doubt you were able to access the USB pen drive natively in Windows Explorer after you burned the image (synoboot.img) with Win32DiskImager on a Windows 7 machine. However, in Windows 10 you can natively mount the EFI partition in Windows Explorer.

So either you use Windows 10 and modify the grub.cfg file directly on the pen drive after burning the image, or if you are on Windows 7 (or earlier) you follow the tutorial and use OSFMount to mount the image (synoboot.img), make the editing required to the grub.cfg file and then burn the image to the pen drive with Win32DiskImager.

It depends what you have.

I do however recommend you stick to the this tutorial. It has proven itself to work for hundreds of people.

Since you are posting here I will assume you are using the loader mentioned in the tutorial, that is v1.01

I highly doubt you were able to access the USB pen drive natively in Windows Explorer after you burned the image (synoboot.img) with Win32DiskImager on a Windows 7 machine. However, in Windows 10 you can natively mount the EFI partition in Windows Explorer.

So either you use Windows 10 and modify the grub.cfg file directly on the pen drive after burning the image, or if you are on Windows 7 (or earlier) you follow the tutorial and use OSFMount to mount the image (synoboot.img), make the editing required to the grub.cfg file and then burn the image to the pen drive with Win32DiskImager.

I do however recommend you stick to the this tutorial. It has proven itself to work for hundreds of people.

Thank you for the reply. Yes I forgot that I was on Windows 10 before. My computer crashed and I just got everything backup again. I will try the OSFMount instructions. Are there any videos out you have come across?

Thank you for the reply. Yes I forgot that I was on Windows 10 before. My computer crashed and I just got everything backup again. I will try the OSFMount instructions. Are there any videos out you have come across?

Not that I know of. There is really no need for a video. Just read the instructions in the tutorial. They are quiet simple. Once you know how to do it once it just takes a minute or two to do it again.

Baremetal Test- DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01

Removed Data Drives, used spare USB Stick and HD.

Initial Test- N54L with NC360T

Used OSFMount to change timeout value from 1 second to10 seconds

Selected AMD boot

Success!

Next, reworked my USB stick and performed the full migration from 5.2. it was straightforward. Synology Assistant said it was migratable. So I upgraded the data and user accounts. Reconfigured my static ip, then tested performace.

So far good,it's good...seems fine

Thanks!!

I was able to get everything up and running following the tutorial. Thank you for all the hard work and making this possible :grin:

After you create your drive pools, does the OS move over to your storage drives or do you always need to keep the USB stick in the server?

Hi,

I Can't find my PC using Synology Assistant.

I tried with Loader v1.01 (DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01.zip) and v1.02a (DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha.zip), but unsuccessfully.

My LAN Drive is a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller (laptop Dell vostro 1700)

Hi,

I tried with Loader v1.01 (DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01.zip) and v1.02a (DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha.zip), but unsuccessfully.

My LAN Drive is a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller (laptop Dell vostro 1700)

yay welcome to the club!!! so im not the only one stuck..

I was able to get everything up and running following the tutorial. Thank you for all the hard work and making this possible :grin:

After you create your drive pools, does the OS move over to your storage drives or do you always need to keep the USB stick in the server?

The there is no moving around of the OS. The OS is always in the HDD. The USB is simply a loader that emulates a ram chip present in genuine Synology machines. You need to keep the USB plugged in otherwise you will not be able to boot if a shutdown/reboot occurs.

Hi,

Both loaders (and DSM) do not contain by default the required module (b44.ko) for that NIC. I added it for v1.01 but not for v1.02a

So assuming you are using v1.01, please replace the extra.lzma ramdisk in the loader with the one in the link below and try installing again.

https://mega.nz/#!HRJQGbhA!moPPC7fRCn-4 ... E8SaazHDg8

Please revert whether it works or not.

Hi,

Both loaders (and DSM) do not contain by default the required module (b44.ko) for that NIC. I added it for v1.01 but not for v1.02a

So assuming you are using v1.01, please replace the extra.lzma ramdisk in the loader with the one in the link below and try installing again.

https://mega.nz/#!HRJQGbhA!moPPC7fRCn-4 ... E8SaazHDg8

Please revert whether it works or not.

It Works, thanks.

Edited by Guest

Does anyone have a iso version of the loader? I'm trying to convert the .img to .iso but haven't figured out a way to do that. Most tools would fail because the *.img has multiple partitions. I tried img to iso, OSFmount and haven't got a bootable iso. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know.

The reason I want a iso is because I'm trying to use it in KVM.

Hi,Polanskiman

I tried with Loader v1.01 (DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01.zip)

My LAN Drive is a Onboard Realtek RTL8211CL Gigabit LAN (10/100/1000Mbps)

My Motherboard is Zotac IONITX-C-U

CPU: Intel Atom N230 Processor

Could you please add this NIC driver for loader v1.01

RTL8211C(L) is no nic chip, it "only" a transceiver chip, the driver for the nic will be the one from the chipset

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=14&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=220

as it is an ION (Nvidia) i'd expect that the nforce driver will be needed (not part of dsm/synology or jun's drivers)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7507-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-602-juns-loader/?do=findComment&comment=68013

i also used this chip in my writeup on how to compile a driver if you need one

https://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32744&p=99603&hilit=nforce#p99603

i'm still planning to compose a extra.lzma for 6.1/jun 1.0.2a~a2 with some of the most asked drivers but it does not have priority, my 6.1 is running fine now and whoever is in urgent need can compile it by himself with my howto, so maybe next weekend or the one after that i might do it (and if there is time i will try the same for dsm 6.0/jun 1.0.1)

Hi,Polanskiman

I tried with Loader v1.01 (DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01.zip)

My LAN Drive is a Onboard Realtek RTL8211CL Gigabit LAN (10/100/1000Mbps)

My Motherboard is Zotac IONITX-C-U

CPU: Intel Atom N230 Processor

Could you please add this NIC driver for loader v1.01

Read what I wrote 6 posts above this one. Do what I say. That extra.lzma ramdisk contains the forcedeth module.

Hi i tried to install Juns Loader 1.02 but after Migration with the 6.1 pat file,

my network doesnt work anymore.

LAN Realtek RTL8111GR (ASROCK Q1900 ITX)

Where can i get the correct driver to get it work?

This is a tutorial for 6.0.2, not for 6.1. Have a look a the forum there are other threads on 6.1.

I am unsure if that NIC is supported in 6.1

(and if there is time i will try the same for dsm 6.0/jun 1.0.1)

The extra.lzma that I am providing here for 6.0.2 actually contains a bunch of extra modules. Those were taken from Quicknicks loader. I recommend you focus on 6.1. I will put the link to the extra.lzma ramdisk in the OP for better visibility.