XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Thanks for replying IG-88.

I am already using my real MAC addresses for all ports.

However the only thing I didn't change, was "netif_num=1", I still had it on "1".

This wasn't mentioned in the tutorial though, so dunno if it's important. Will change it now to "3" and retry.

Okay so no changes in SSH then whatsoever... Since I cannot enter the DSM GUI.

Yeah, tried a few downgrades, didn't work... Sigh. So I am really hoping I can get 6.0 to work instead.

The weird thing is, I just did another Force Install and loaded the .pat file. Then on the normal boot (1st option in bootloader).

It takes about 8 - 10 minutes and then I can access Sabnzbd, Couchpotato and Sonarr. The only thing I cannot access is DSM GUI itself... Really strange.

Also Sabnzbd is downloading. So that also works... :sad:

I also tried using a different serial (here: https://xpenology.github.io/serial_gene ... r_new.html), but also no luck.

I will now edit the "netif_num" to 3. Maybe that will help.... :sad:

I would recommend using the onboard NIC to start. There is actually no need to set all MAC addresses. What Realtek NIC model do you have?

And i got all 16 drives back, But slot 1-4 is still empty so drive numbering starts at 5 and end at 20.

Question is, what is it that tells DSM what number a drives has. What port is taking up those 4 slots.

what ever it is it shoud be found in /var/log/messages, dsm has to start a driver and recognise ports for storage

I think i found what i was looking for but unsure, Can you confirm?

It starts at "port-5:0" so i guess thats why DSM starts with "Disk 5" instead of 1?

Question now is how i can modify the configuration to start at port 1 and if it's even possible.

Edit: Btw, I forgott but last night i had problems with one drive dropping out completley after i rebooted the machine.

Pulled it and inserted it again, no go in DSM. Looked in dmesg and i could see the drive apear.

i Found out it was DSM that moved the drive from number 20 to 21 so i had to change the synoinfo valus again to include that drive, and BAM! the drive was back and i had to rebuild the raid.

So now it shows Drive 6 to 21.....

Should i edit the sataportmap maybe? In that case, What would be a good value to start with?

/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:02:00.0/host5/port-5:0/end_device-5:0/target5:0:0/5:0:0:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:02:00.0/host5/port-5:1/end_device-5:1/target5:0:1/5:0:1:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:02:00.0/host5/port-5:2/end_device-5:2/target5:0:2/5:0:2:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:02:00.0/host5/port-5:3/end_device-5:3/target5:0:3/5:0:3:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:02:00.0/host5/port-5:4/end_device-5:4/target5:0:4/5:0:4:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:02:00.0/host5/port-5:5/end_device-5:5/target5:0:5/5:0:5:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:02:00.0/host5/port-5:6/end_device-5:6/target5:0:6/5:0:6:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:02:00.0/host5/port-5:7/end_device-5:7/target5:0:7/5:0:7:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:03:00.0/host6/port-6:0/end_device-6:0/target6:0:0/6:0:0:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:03:00.0/host6/port-6:1/end_device-6:1/target6:0:1/6:0:1:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:03:00.0/host6/port-6:2/end_device-6:2/target6:0:2/6:0:2:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:03:00.0/host6/port-6:3/end_device-6:3/target6:0:3/6:0:3:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:03:00.0/host6/port-6:4/end_device-6:4/target6:0:4/6:0:4:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:03:00.0/host6/port-6:5/end_device-6:5/target6:0:5/6:0:5:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:03:00.0/host6/port-6:6/end_device-6:6/target6:0:6/6:0:6:0
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:03:00.0/host6/port-6:7/end_device-6:7/target6:0:7/6:0:7:0

Edited by Guest

I would recommend using the onboard NIC to start. There is actually no need to set all MAC addresses. What Realtek NIC model do you have?

Hi Polanskiman.

First thanks for answering, but I replied (since the forum was working again) a minute before your answer. Please check when you have the time.

It's not an onboard Realtek NIC...

Hi Polanskiman.

First thanks for answering, but I replied (since the forum was working again) a minute before your answer. Please check when you have the time.

It's not an onboard Realtek NIC...

That nick uses e1000e as a driver which is included in the ramdsik of loader v1.01.

Only populate the MAC address of that NIC in the grub file (mac1), leave netif_num=1 and also change the following line:

initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma $img/$extra_initrd

to:

initrd $img/$extra_initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma

Then try installing again.

Please revert.

Polanskiman said:

That nick uses e1000e as a driver which is included in the ramdsik of loader v1.01.

Only populate the MAC address of that NIC in the grub file (mac1), leave netif_num=1 and also change the following line:

initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma $img/$extra_initrd

to:

Then try installing again.

Please revert.

Thanks for answering, but I already found that "solution" yesterday as well here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7507-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-602-juns-loader/?do=findComment&comment=65939

So I changed it to the following:

# initrd $img/ramdisk.lzma $img/$extra_initrd

And I reinstalled again (throught Force Install and select the .pat file once again).

...but no luck.

But I doubt this is the issue, because (like I have mentioned a few times) after 10 minutes on a normal boot, I can access Sabnzbd, Couchpotato en Sonarr. So I really doubt it's any of the LAN ports in general... Otherwise it wouldn't be able to connect to those applications, let alone download stuff... Right?

Anyways, I will retry the above once again this evening when I get back home (for the 3rd time), but I doubt this will solve it.

//edit

In DSM the 3 LAN ports were bonded (LACP). I don't know if this is important.

Anyways, I re-read your post and I will populate only LAN port this evening, as you mentioned and redo everything once again...

...unless you have any other ideas....?

Thanks for answering, but I already found that "solution" yesterday as well, changed it to the following:

And I reinstalled again (throught Force Install and select the .pat file once again).

...but no luck.

But I doubt this is the issue, because (like I have mentioned a few times) after 10 minutes on a normal boot, I can access Sabnzbd, Couchpotato en Sonarr. So I really doubt it's any of the LAN ports in general... Otherwise it wouldn't be able to connect to those applications, let alone download stuff... Right?

Anyways, I will retry the above once again this evening when I get back home (for the 3rd time), but I doubt this will solve it.

//edit

In DSM the 3 LAN ports were bonded (LACP). I don't know if this is important.

Anyways, I re-read your post and I will populate only LAN port this evening, as you mentioned and redo everything once again...

...unless you have any other ideas....?

Why are you commenting out

?

Personally I would wipe the system partition and do a clean install and proceed as I have advised. Your data is on another partition so you won't lose anything but you will need to reconfigure everything and reinstall packages. This is what I always do when I do major DSM version updates.

Why are you commenting out

?

Because if it's wrong and/or incorrect, I can easily correct it. It doesn't matter if it's commented out or not in this case, as it shouldn't do any harm.

It's for me easier to revert back in case it's wrong. Otherwise I have to search the forum again and copy and paste the line once again.

Personally I would wipe the system partition and do a clean install and proceed as I have advised. Your data is on another partition so you won't lose anything but you will need to reconfigure everything and reinstall packages. This is what I always do when I do major DSM version updates.

Reconfigure everything....!

I will lose all my series, movies, download settings for Sabnzbd, Couchpotato and Sonarr. Not to mention that I will get recommended movies with Couchpotato I already have seen...

Furthermore I will lose my database which is being used by 2 Kodi/Jarvis machines.

So, that's not really a solution imho. I followed the tutorial step by step.

After a reboot and waiting 10 minutes, I can connect to Couchpotato, Sonarr and Sabnzbd, but I cannot connect to DSM GUI.

So there seems to be a bug in the loader as I did everything exactly correct according to the manual.

I waited several months (6+) before doing this update, thought it would be pretty safe to use by now, but apparently not. :sad:

I really find it weird, that it could be the NIC, as I can connect to C, S and S (as mentioned above and in my other posts), if it was any of the NIC's, these wouldn't be accessable either imho.

Anyways, I will try it once again this evening, as you mentioned, maybe it's the NIC (something I doubt), but I rather be wrong on my side. If it would fix things.

Ohterwise I will have no other choice than to purchase a real Synology and say goodbye to Xpenology (= win for Synology obviously), because redoing my complete setup of everything (including my applications and such) is not a real option here.

Will report back later this evening when I get back home. I will also test the beta loaders from Jun as well. Maybe those will work instead for me...

It's sucks that I cannot downgrade back either to 5.2, because when I use my 5.2 USB stick, I am getting a prompt, but none of my useraccounts in combination with my passwords work. :sad:

//edit #1

You mentioned and I quote "Personally I would wipe the system partition..." how would I do that if I cannot even access the machine by SSH or locally with monitor and keyboard?

Or is that what you meant with the "Reinstall"-option from Jun's loader? Anyways, it's something I rather not do....

//edit #2

Probably silly, but DSM 5.2 USB stick was always booting in BIOS Legacy mode, the new 6.0 USB stick is running in UEFI (as it said the tutorial you can select either one).

This wouldn't be the issue right?

ME = Headache! :-|

HHawk said:

I understand. You could try the latest loader v1.02a2 although I am not sure it will work. Give it a try and let us know.

In my opinion the problem is coming from the network configuration files or even your MTU if you set it too high. Difficult to say since I don't have access to your hardware.

I could also recommend you only plug one network cable and de-bond the NICs on your switch/router if that was the case before.

Wiping the system partition would require to access the partitions (system and data) through another OS like a live Ubuntu USB for example. I made a tutorial on the matter >>> https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/

HHawk said:

Probably silly, but DSM 5.2 USB stick was always booting in BIOS Legacy mode, the new 6.0 USB stick is running in UEFI (as it said the tutorial you can select either one).

This wouldn't be the issue right?

I don't think so. If that was the problem you wouldn't even be able to boot the machine.

Polanskiman said:

I understand. You could try the latest loader v1.02a2 although I am not sure it will work. Give it a try and let us know.

In my opinion the problem is coming from the network configuration files or even your MTU if you set it too high. Difficult to say since I don't have access to your hardware.

I could also recommend you only plug one network cable and de-bond the NICs on your switch/router if that was the case before.

Thank you Polanskiman. I will certainly try several other things, before really wiping it.

Hopefully there is some way to make it work. When I get back home, I will:

1. remove the network cables from the Intel PCIe card, so I will only have the onboard Intel one.

2. check the MTU on my switch

3. check the LACP settings on the switch (maybe that's the problem) though it still weird that other applications actually work.

I will modify the grub.cfg once again and run "Force Install" again. And select the .pat file once again. Hopefully it will work now...

Never had this kind of problem before, but then again, it's a new loader ofcourse. Something I am not experienced with. :wink:

Polanskiman said:

Wiping the system partition would require to access the partitions (system and data) through another OS like a live Ubuntu USB for example. I made a tutorial on the matter >>> https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/

Thank you for explaining. I will look into it, though it's a final resort ofcourse.

Polanskiman said:

I don't think so. If that was the problem you wouldn't even be able to boot the machine.

Yeah true, but really trying to figure out what's causing the problems... Would have been so much easier if you had a command prompt (locally) upon boot imho.

Will report back later.

2. check the MTU on my switch

MTU in DSM actually. With the link I provided you can access the system partition and modify the MTU in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

The line to modify if your NICs are bonded is the one that says:

bond0_mtu=

Any other line with mtu should also be brought to 1500 if higher than that.

MTU in DSM actually. With the link I provided you can access the system partition and modify the MTU in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

bond0_mtu=

Ah thank you for explaining that...

But if I can access the system files, I will be able to change /etc.defaults/VERSION to something like:

majorversion="5"

minorversion="2"

buildphase="0"

buildnumber="5592"

builddate="2012/12/05"

Right?

If that's true, I can even try to downgrade if I fail DSM 6 again this evening...

bond0_mtu=

Ah thank you for explaining that...

But if I can access the system files, I will be able to change /etc.defaults/VERSION to something like:

majorversion="5"

minorversion="2"

buildphase="0"

buildnumber="5592"

builddate="2012/12/05"

Right?

If that's true, I can even try to downgrade if I fail DSM 6 again this evening...

Downgrading might work although I can't guarantee it. If you do that you need to use the exact same version from which you were upgrading from.

Well no dice... What I did now:

- created a completely fresh USB stick with Jun's loader 6.0.1

- followed all configuration steps to the letter

- switched the driver string in grub.cfg

- changed VID, PID and MAC

- only used one MC

- disabled the trunk/bond on switch

- disconnected both ports on Intel PCIe card

- selected 'Force Install'-option and installed the .PAT-file

- auto rebooted normally and selected option 1 from loader

Waited for 10 minutes. The only thing accesable are (once again) Sabnzbd, Sonarr and Couchpotato...

...DSM GUI is not reachable at all.

So I am back to square one again. Sigh.

I am gonna try to downgrade now. I am completely done with DSM 6.0 and wished I never did this update...

//edit

Before trying to downgrade, I will run the Ubuntu Live USB stick and check the files as well.

[spoiler=]Well I am now running the Ubuntu Live USB and I followed the commands as described on your other page.

- sudo -i

- apt-get install mdadm lvm2

I don't want to mount the data partition, so I skipped that step...

- mdadm -Ee0.swap /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1

- mdadm -AU byteorder /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1

But I cannot seem to find my Xpenology system files, for example: /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

And/or: /etc.defaults/VERSION

Am I overlooking something here... Where should I look?

I am sorry if I am asking stupid questions, but I hardly have any experience with Ubuntu in general. :sad:

Never mind, I found it... Sorry I am stupid.

Update: well I skimmed through the synoinfo.conf file, but there was no bondX in here, only ethX and all of them were at 1500.

So that wasn't the problem. Therefor I will try to downgrade now back to 5.2. Hopefully it will work...

Okay... Some positive news. Changing the VERSION to an older DSM-version works.

I could boot to the installation procedure, selected my old DSM_DS3615xs_5967.pat file.

Then it started installing and I crossed my fingers... After a minute or 2 it rebooted.

I checked the screen locally and it was updating the files. Now I can enter DSM GUI again and so far everything is still working!

I went to network and checked the settings there. And it says:

Bond 1 - Connected

LAN 1 - 1000 Mbps, Full duplex, MTU 9000

LAN 2 -- (this one is still disconnected)

LAN 3 -- (this one is still disconnected)

Can it really be the MTU and/or Jumbo Frame setting which caused all the problems with DSM 6.0 GUI?

I find that really weird...? It should still connect right (like Sabnzbd, Couchpotato and Sonarr do)? Or am I mistaken here...?

Please explain if you can... I would appreciated it.

Also if I would disable the BOND, 9000 MTU and Jumbo Frames... Will DSM 6.0 with Jun's loader work?

...or will it still not work?

Thanks in advance!

Also if I would disable the BOND, 9000 MTU and Jumbo Frames... Will DSM 6.0 with Jun's loader work?

...or will it still not work?

i have a 5.0 and as i knew there where sata porblems with newer 5.x version i wanted to know if the hardware works fully

disconncted alls disks, removed usb boot stick with 5.0 loader

took empty disk and usb stick with newer dsm 6 jun loader and tryed to install a clean dsm and checked if all hardware is detected and working

you might do the same, that way you would know if it comes from your old 5.x config or it is a general problem (unlikely)

btw. in my 5.0 i found the actual mtu info not in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.cof (there all were 1500), the actual used value i found in /etc/synoinfo.conf, that matched what is configured in the web gui

i'd expect your problems (you discovered so far ...) will be gone if you set the network config with 5.x running to defaults, no bonds, default mtu (for all nic's), it will be no problem to redo the settings if upgrade was successfull

Thank you both chege and IG-88 for explaining...

Guess I should have checked the forums a bit better before upgrading. :sad:

Anyways, will give it a new go tomorrow (after I first disabled bond, lowered MTU and disabled Jumbo Frames).

Hopefully it will succeed this time...

And if I understood correctly; I can redo the settings to 9000 MTU, Jumbo Frames and bond, after I upgraded to DSM 6.0, right?

...or will it still cause issues?

Thanks again!

Thank you both chege and IG-88 for explaining...

Guess I should have checked the forums a bit better before upgrading. :sad:

Anyways, will give it a new go tomorrow (after I first disabled bond, lowered MTU and disabled Jumbo Frames).

Hopefully it will succeed this time...

And if I understood correctly; I can redo the settings to 9000 MTU, Jumbo Frames and bond, after I upgraded to DSM 6.0, right?

...or will it still cause issues?

Thanks again!

I highly discourage the use of mtu=9000 and I am pretty certain that that is your issue. Leave mtu at 1500. De-bond for the sake of it but not sure that is the problem.

Even in normal circumptances having mtu=9000 doesn't make much sense or improve much things. Mtu has to be calculated according to your setup. Google and you will find.

Anyhow try with an mtu=1500 and I beleive everything should work. Do not go back to 9000 after the upgrade! There are issues with high mtu in some NICs as stated by Jun himself.

can you guys help me out please? I wasted 2 days 100s of reboots and 100s of downloaded zip's and files...

I am trying to get a bearmetal install of 6.0 with jun's loader to work on a nas I built on socket 775 parts I had laying arround

I don't know the mobo model so I don't know what NIC it has, but I have been using DSM 5.2 without any issues

Ill write any info you guys need and answer any questions, also I will do anything you want me to do to get this resolved.

Thank you all in advance and kudos for everyone involved in this project

EDIT:

my problem is I get to the booting kernel screen but I cant see the nas in my router or find it with synology assistant

can you guys help me out please? I wasted 2 days 100s of reboots and 100s of downloaded zip's and files...

I am trying to get a bearmetal install of 6.0 with jun's loader to work on a nas I built on socket 775 parts I had laying arround

I don't know the mobo model so I don't know what NIC it has, but I have been using DSM 5.2 without any issues

Ill write any info you guys need and answer any questions, also I will do anything you want me to do to get this resolved.

Thank you all in advance and kudos for everyone involved in this project

EDIT:

my problem is I get to the booting kernel screen but I cant see the nas in my router or find it with synology assistant

To help, hardware information is needed else it wont be possible.